Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets be real here: The Children's Hospital is a scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well you asked the question.

It's obvious why it's so expensive. It's a classic white elephant.

"...A white elephant is a possession that its owner cannot dispose of, and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness. In modern usage, it is a metaphor used to describe an object, construction project, scheme, business venture, facility, etc. considered expensive but without equivalent utility or value relative to its capital (acquisition) and/or operational (maintenance)..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant

Post edited by Flinty997 on

It'll be interesting to see how far up the list it ends up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_buildings

And yeah, talk about slave labour all ya want, actual on-the-ground labour will have made up a pretty small fraction of the spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭ozmo

Real reason for the costs is shoehorning it into the wrong location.

Reason for location is to suit the existing consultants who had a deal (from 2008) to get private practice doors/offices if it was built there.

Would have been better pay them off.

https://www.thejournal.ie/private-clinic-national-childrens-hospital-4647215-May2019/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

You hit a on very good point, the design is a oval. Once you build in a non box shape the costs will skyrocket. I never realized is was a oval until recently, when driving along the canal the kids pointed out the new football stadium they could see towering above the houses.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Heh, separate entrance for the private patients as well. Couldn't have them seeing plebs.

• Advertisement

I am being over simplistic. But its a complex shape, and I'm all for it being a landmark building etc. But considering an expanding population and the pressure on bed spaces and capacity. To end up with hardly any new beds or the space to expand in the future, seems daft to me. You'd think utility and practically would be a higher priority than making it a design statement.

But the original concept was lots outdoor space for sick kids to aid healing, nicer environment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The tender was based on quantities rather than a finished design. I was involved on the overall project as a consultant, not directly with the James project but the two satallite centres in Tallaght and Connolly that will fall under the same budget. So I heard first hand what was going on on the James project. Madness. (Have since left the consultancy I was working for during that period)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

interesting there are 3 other projects on the list being hospitals...ones also a childrens' one. seems to be world wide agreement childrens' hospitals need to cost billions...😣 probably because there's a 'moral barrier' to complain because it's for the children as mentioned here before...and that's what the suckers who fill their pockets from it know... easy to shut down any criticism: but it's for our children, how can you question it?? BS

At this point it's like trying to pour petrol on a fire to put it out.

It's nearly there though. Is there actually a opening date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Still looks like a huge building site to me.

I've heard people say that they may finish it, but they'll never be able to staff it - which doesn't seem like an entirely unreasonable opinion these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Was thinking of creating a invoice myself for something , lights or windows or anything for 60K if i can get the HSE accounts department , chances are i could get 60K for nothing paid into my account as part of the eventual 5 Billion outlay.

Does anyone in the public sector care about taxpayers money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

The HSE have lots of account departments, one for each of the old Health Boards. Reminds me of a story of when they had a project to archive old paper invoices on to the new fangled medium of CD. When they tested the end result, the first random PO number entered brought up the same invoice twice and they thought there was something wrong with the database. On investigation it was discovered the supplier had sent a copy invoice, but they had paid both invoices.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard on the radio its due to open January 24. Apparently in the initial agreement BAM would absorb any increased costs provided inflation stayed below 4% but the government was due for any increased costs after that. It seems building inflation is running at almost 18% so thats accounting for a lot of the increased costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Thanks @Lefty2Guns for clarifying. A quantities tender sounds bizarre and I wouldn't be familiar with this approach in EU tendering.. most projects I'm involved in the main contractor is responsible for sourcing materials, purchasing them and putting them together using whatever means necessary to complete the job within spec and within the budget!

What do you mean by a tender based on quantities.. priced on quantities of materials required, priced per sqm of finished building??

Post edited by dollylama on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

you're joking, aren't you? try it. See if it works and make it public..🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If it had been built in dublin west it would have been much cheaper to build on a large site, it s more expensive to build in central dublin they also have to build car parks not every one lives in dublin there's plenty of empty green spaces near Dublin west . Builders have to submit tenders I doubt they will have knowledge of the other bids , this is all done on computers

Of course it would have been a lot cheaper to build it 3 years ago

It will be built to a very high standard . Yes the traffic there is busy ftom 7am to 7pm not a great location

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Parking and access will be a problem for those not in the city (or in parts of the city where public transport isn't great because there are many).

However, DCC and the Greens are doing their level best to stoke climate fears to justify the attempts to force everyone onto public transport from the M50 inwards.

You'll no doubt be expected to park at the Red Cow and get a LUAS the rest of the way with your sick child, or deal with exorbitant parking rates, inadequate numbers of spaces and congestion because of the removal of general traffic lanes.

But none of that matters. As long as the Greens get the fuzzies here at home while China, Russia, India, the US and others do whatever they want on the "crisis", that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Hospitals and public transport are not aspects that seem to be planned together.

Here in Kilpedder, Wicklow, we used to have an A&E and general hospital facilities available to us in Loughlinstown. The 133 bus ran the length of the N11 from Wicklow town and stopped right outside the hospital. Then Loughlinstown was downgraded and St Vincents became the bottleneck of choice for the planners in the HSE.

The nearest 133 stop to Vincent's, leaves you with a good hike walk to the hospital, as would the nearest DART stop. Using any public transport option to Vincent's from this area would have you starting out the night before with a flask of soup and sambo's and an overnight bag, in case you can't get back home.

Yet, there is an impressive graphic display at the entrance lobby in Vincent's outlining how connectable it is by public transport. The sign would suggest that there is a coordinated transport hub in the basement where local and regional buses and DART trains are all available and waiting. The reality is that none of these services actually pass through the hospital and most require a level of fitness to walk to the hospital.

'Center of excellence' facilities seem great on paper, providing you can get to them and they can handle the demand when you do get there. To the people of Navan now campaigning to hold on to your hospital, keep the fight going. Ask the questions that we did when Loughlinstown was downgraded ... why has the HSE allowed it to become a safety risk?.... just so they can close it?. Why not upgrade it and take the demand and delay out of Dublin? Wicklow has suffered from Loughlinstown's status change... the main difference patients now experience is longer distances to travel, with less public transport options and more lengthy delays when you get there.

I don't have much hope that the children's hospital will be as smart and efficient as the money being sunk into it, would expect.

From my experience (M&E) Tenders would be based on General Arrangement drawings and schematics. As this project was rushed out, there wasn't any finalised drawings to price from. How they came to the final figure I don't know. Possibly per sqm. based on past projects.

Also the QS on the project I worked on was way out of her depth and missed an unbelievable amount of items, leading to BAM raising variations left right and centre. They milked it majorily. Can only assume they are doing the same in James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

our multinational pharma companies have far bigger budgets for cleaning as shown during covid, (litterally had teams of people walking behind you cleaning hand rails etc) and their clean rooms are obviously cleaner than any hospital, they use modular building and the are built in a year. Nothing fancy and higher grade than a hospital!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The location was not picked to suit the existing consultants. The process for picking the site was incredibly transparent and is available for anyone to look at.

The site was recommended by an independent, non-governmental panel. Its amazing how quickly people demand government interference in things when it suits their agenda.

There will be satellite facilities on the M50. 70% of the patients are expected to be from the Greater Dublin Area (as it is both the national children's hospital and Leinster regional hospital), which has the lowest car ownership of the country with sectors of the inner city having 30% car ownership.

The Greens had nothing whatsoever to do with picking the site

It didn't override "everything" but it was decided that it was the most important element, and for good reasons.

The set-up with the co-located hospital and satellite facilities seems to be the best combination of access and optimised medical care. Though I'm perfectly happy to listen to people's proposals for what level of cost saving justifies a reduction in clinical car (and there is an answer for this, it is a decision that has to be made, but we should at least acknowledge that)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I didn't say that they did, but they DO have everything to do with restricting traffic flow, removing lanes and parking spaces, and other measures to try and force people out of their cars.

That's fine and all - until you remember that PT in Dublin is still pretty poor outside of some high profile routes, that there's no DART or LUAS serving most of the northside of the city, and that from many towns outside the extended city boundaries (Maynooth, Naas etc) it's often wholly inadequate or non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I hear this nonsense trotted out time and time again.

You do know that there is a cohort of slave labour migrant workers from India and Bangladesh used to build these towers in the Middle East? Pay is something like 200 euro a month.

What proportion of the budget will be going to the people working on the building site? Roughly like.

Both satellite facilities are operational as we speak. I was in the Tallaght satellite centre on Thursday gone. Connolly was completed prior to Covid lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The new Perth Children's hospital is hardly a plain box, with plenty of curves and asymetry, and yet it cost a significant amount less per bed, so shape clearly isn't a real issue here.

• Advertisement

There's been interference from day one.

Lots of complaints at the time about the critera and scope of the reports. Some of the travel studies IMO were extremely suspect.

All ancient history now. At the end of the day we've now a grossly expensive hospital with almost no extra beds afaik but with another million people in the country. Heavily congested with almost no room to expand.

It has all the same issues that caused the Mater to be rejected. Tbh the Mater site more centrally located. It's all the advantages of James only better.

You'd hope at the very least it will have better outcomes far ahead of normal improvements in medicine that occur naturally over time.

Advertisement