Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cycling Books Thread - Discussion, Reviews, Recommendations Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

G1032 wrote: »
    +1. Great book.
    Also The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton.

The Escape Artist is a cracking read. One of my favourite books of all time. Expect to laugh and cry.

I read Jonathan Vaughters book One Way Ticket last week. Great read, particularly how he got into team management and the struggle to find sponsors.

Great to see this thread resurrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just finished reading the book on Shay Elliotts life.. Well worth a read (Im sure its mentioned here already),

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shay-Elliott-Irelands-Yellow-Jersey/dp/1874739595

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

This arrived in the post this morning

20200525-161710.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

BorrowBox is the public libraries app for free ebooks and audio books. I could only find one cycling audio book - Wide Eyed and Legless and it wasn't up to much. Plenty of other good audio books though to while away the hours particularly if you don't have a screen near your turbo/rollers/exercise bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

BorrowBox is the public libraries app for free ebooks and audio books. I could only find one cycling audio book - Wide Eyed and Legless and it wasn't up to much. Plenty of other good audio books though to while away the hours particularly if you don't have a screen near your turbo/rollers/exercise bike.

Wide-eyed and legless is on of my favourite cycling books, up there with A dog in a hat and Bating the badger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I tried listening to some Margaret Atwood while flogging myself in a turbo session. Neither was easy and hard to keep focused in either.

Though I got into a weird turbo zone and finally read Sometimes A Great Notion which has absolutely zero relation to cycling but is is a thoroughly tremendous if time demanding book.

Anyway, I'm within the public libraries and it's slightly different depending on what authority you're a member of. You can use your card anywhere, but you need to have a say Cork card number for some items. That said there is a huge amount of crossover.

Dublin City's only one is ok me called Midlife Cyclist by Rachel Ann Cullen, but not available until August thanks to the restrictive enough publishers. Though some people check them back sooner

You can join them all, if you really want.

There are are some cycling magazines on the RedDigital app too though you might have to ensure you've got set up with an LGMA account as well as your local authority one as some are available to all, some are like ebooks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I have used RB digital from the library to view magazines (quite a few cycling titles) but can you tell me how borrowbox works as a library card holder please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

ckeego wrote: »
    I have used RB digital from the library to view magazines (quite a few cycling titles) but can you tell me how borrowbox works as a library card holder please?

I think I joined up through a link in an email from Dublin City Libraries but the BorrowBox Library app is available on Play Store and App Store. You have to sign in with your library ID and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I bought this for my brother's birthday, he's an old hard-core cyclist

https://www.isolapress.com/shop/rsf-archives-2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think I joined up through a link in an email from Dublin City Libraries but the BorrowBox Library app is available on Play Store and App Store. You have to sign in with your library ID and password.

your password is last 4 numbers of your ID/library number.

• Advertisement

Anyone read Faster - The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists

Gets excellent reviews all round. Added it to my ever expanding list of books to read (while my length of time on this mortal coil is decreasing....). Maybe in heaven I'll get a comfortable couch, perfect hot chocolate and the mountain of books that I wanted to read.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone read Faster - The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists

Gets excellent reviews all round. Added it to my ever expanding list of books to read (while my length of time on this mortal coil is decreasing....). Maybe in heaven I'll get a comfortable couch, perfect hot chocolate and the mountain of books that I wanted to read.

If you ever visit Iceland, there's a cafe in Reykavic that I swear does the best I've ever had. Probably cost a fortune but still

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Raymzor

Weepsie wrote: »
    It was good, and pretty detailed about his actual cycling career as a lot of these books are. A while since I read it, so don't think it dug too far into his non cycling life, but it didn't have much to go on.

His life in France post cycling kind of unravelled a bit, and don't think he ever quite recovered.

Favourite cycling bios that I've read are the Anquiteil book, the Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali ones and We were young and care free (Fignon's autobiography)

Loved Lantern Rouge too.

Bought the Shay Elliot Book-enjoyed reading about this Under Celebrated Pioneer of Irish cycling-tremendous cycling achievements abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bumping this as they're being discussed in the Tour thread and I need to get back into the habbit of reading again!

Just ordered two on offer for the kindle.

Draft Animals Phil Gaimon £3.67

The Death of Marco Pantini Matt Rendell £3.68

The cycling podcast have a KM0 from the TDF on the Rider and interview the chap who wrote it
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    The Rider is a great book, read it all in one go. I loved his stream of consciousness, his randomness, all the thoughts going through his head pretty much in real time during the race.

dinneenp wrote: »

Read this since I posted last. Enjoyed it, he looks at all angles- bike, person, gentics, food etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My copy of the book arrived in the post this morning. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Daniel Friebe did an episode on The Cycling Podcast about the book and it sounds like he put his heart, soul and a lot more into writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Kindle edition €14 - yikes!

There's vat on ebooks thats not on printed books

• Advertisement

Another one that sounds interesting is Le Fric by Alex Duff

If you have a library card from the following:

Roscommon, Westmeath, Mayo, South Dublin, Wexford, Meath, Sligo, Wicklow, Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork City and Cork County...

It should be available on borrowbox, or is due to be. There are hardcopies on order. How many, I don't know.

The printed book is a fiver more!

Costs of producing the e-book version are fractional, yet €14 I thought was a real deterrent. Shame!

That's a fair price to pay imo for reading years and years of someones work. . Approx 2.50 of it is vat too

The paperback of this is sold out in some places already too so there's a demand. I've seen it for 19 and 21 from Dubray and Chapters. Cost of producing a printed book has gone up over the last 2 years too and there's a shortage of copies of some titles and/or more niche runs like this have bigger costs too. There's also big delays in getting books ready for publishing onto shelves as a result.

Appreciate the challenges of the printed world with very tangible and escalating costs, but have noticed a disappointing trend in jacking up the price of Kindle versions of books to match, when they don't have the same cost base at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't have the same cost base at all.

how much of the cover price of the book is printing and distribution costs?

I have no doubt the text itself has an intrinsic value, and a similar associated cost to acquisition, editing, and promotion as the printed volume, so I fired off a query to someone I know in Harper Collins for more precision. The ecommerce distribution channel is certainly considerably cheaper and as the outlay reduces over time I'm sure the prices will fall in line. Clearly distribution is a much bigger slice of the cost pie this year!

I don't have a problem with the pricing of the ebook. I do have a problem with how many concurrent readers publishers allow ebooks to have on platforms like borrowbox.

I understand why they do it.

Academic publishers are far far worse and were the bane of my working life for some time. They charge multiples more for one copy of an etext with very limited concurrent use and it's merely a sub for a year than you can buy a hardcopy for. Elsevir and Pearson if memory serves me right were forever gouging.

Anyway. The Ulrich Book is also on Dublin City's borrowbox though there's a waiting list for it. There are likely to be hardcopies soon too, but they're not showing on the new system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

So long as the author is getting a proportionate slice of the pie, this is fine. Just like the printed books, Kindle prices tend to come down over time, and will usually wind up around the £4.99 mark after a year or two. The difference is long term there're no issues with print runs on e-books so €4.99 is a perfectly fine price to pay ongoing - so long as the author is getting their fair share (doubtful this being Amazon).

• Advertisement

Half way through the Ullrich book and a good read so far. Have the book on ASO waiting to go after

Advertisement