Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I’m the same and sky are the only provider who can accept an order , waiting for Eir to be available , might try a bricks and mortar shop to see if they will take an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I did manage to jump ahead of the vodafone queue a few days early by going in webchat with them rather than via the normal more order route

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Premises passed by county as of the 10th June:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Living in Meath, i'm glad I don't have to wait on the NBI. For months now the progress in Meath has stood at 0. Looking at the NBI map most of Meath isn't scheduled till 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

• Advertisement

Got my pre order in with Eir , girl that took the order said should be 2 /3 weeks , must take a note of the date 😁

Excellent congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

I contacted about 9 companies today only Sky had me as pre-order available, probably because as @wexfordman2 said pre order status in the NBI website is not reflected in the providers own databases for a few weeks, so I'm hopeful it should be available with others soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

The delays on the rollout will be discussed today on the news @ 1 on RTE Radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There should be issue if the fiber is passing your door. It's highly unlikely that there will be 100% uptake in any are as in the first 12 months. As long as there is enough ports you will get service. It's more than likely a paperwork exersice

Slava Ukrainii

Ordered yesterday with Eir , got an install date for 29th July so finally the end is in sight .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Ossian Smyth, Minister of State with responsibility for Communications and Circular Economy, on the panel for Saturday with Katie Hannon discussing the NBP

National Broadband Plan | Saturday with Katie Hannon - RTÉ Radio 1 (rte.ie)

Peter Hendrick, CEO NBI, on today's "This Week" programme at 1pm, discussing delays to the rollout

CEO of National Broadband Ireland Peter Hendrick | This Week - RTÉ Radio 1 (rte.ie)

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Current uptake of 1 in 5 households, even with fibre passing their door. Sounds low. Clearly many people are struggling in rural area’s with bad connectivity, but evidently, many are okay with what they’ve currently got.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

That point was made in the RTE interview, but it doesn’t stand up when you consider most resellers are now offering transition to FTTH without penalty - as stated by NBI CEO. Imagine perhaps being the main outlier.

People may also be on cheaper WISP providers and that may suffice for their needs for now. In time as word spreads more will make that transition.

IIRC Peter Hendrick said they plan to pass 7,000-10,000 premises per month and expects to exceed their 102,000 end of year 3 (Jan 2023) target.

56 retail operators selling on the NBI network

Approx. 13,300 premises connected

Take-up rates - 20% signing up within 3 months of passing, 30% within 6 months and 40% after 12 months

Post edited by The Cush on

40% is an excellent figure to be fair

74% stake in NBI up for sale.

Oak Hill Advisors & Twin Point Capital, 49% and 25% respectively, exiting.

Three bids submitted Axa, Allianz and third unnamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

"Any new investor has to make a long term commitment to Ireland."

Like the ones exiting, I guess.

Not that it makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Case_Agri

Well lads,

was just wondering does anyone have a picture for reference and or dimensions of the fibre distribution box that goes indoors in your house, that kn group install which then gets plugged into modem, we went ready to install today and have a connection date of 3 weeks away, just want to have everything ready for the boys when they come, anyone have firsthand experience on what the lads are like putting cable through a pre-existing ducting ours is a 2 inch esb ducting the copper cable is running through but should have space to run the fibre aswell, and would they go up into a attic majority of ours is osb lined with 8x2 t/g boards so like tis fairly safe and she’s only a bungalow thanks in advance any info is greatly appreciated, imagine got the door today 😅😅 thank lord.

Can't give you much practical advice as I'm years away for our connection but here are some installs posted previously, also lots of speedtest pics posted back along the thread but not many install pics

ECO_Mental is on his second FTTH install IIRC - National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress - Page 139 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

and another here - National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress - Page 159 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Just remembered this article in the SBP last April, ESRI behavioural study aims to tackle lack of public interest in high-speed broadband. Behavioural experts to investigate why people are so slow to connect after fewer than 6,000 sign up to NBP network

I guess we'll get some expert answers in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

The ONT that KN install is pretty big and not very attractive to be honest. I just measured it and in mm it's 240H x 135W x 50D.

The frustrating thing is that it's far larger than it actually needs to be - there's lots of empty space behind the plastic casing.

Anyway, I would recommend finding a place out-of-sight for it if you can. Ours is stuck on a visible wall at waist height (no other option in our case) and it's not great looking. I mean, it's a small price to pay for quality internet but still, if you have the option, stick it somewhere out of the way. Don't forget it needs a dedicated power socket, and you'll need another one for the router as it will need to plug directly into the ONT. Plus you may have mesh system or smarthome hubs etc that you want to plug in there - now or in future - so just something to think about/

KN engineers are fairly accommodating in terms of locations etc in my experience. We didn't have ducting, so they dropped ours to our gable via overhead cabling (same as how the existing copper phone line was run). They then ran it from the gable down the roofline and along the underside of the soffit to the point where it enters the house. It's a fairly neat job and they had to drill through 3ft walls in our house so it took a while and stretched their drillbits to the limit but they never complained!

However I am fairly certain they cannot/will not go into an attic, no matter how good the boards are etc. I'd imagine it's for insurance reasons and is a non-negotiable for them. I have heard that some will assist homeowners in running cable through an attic provided KN don't need to go into the attic space (ie the homeowner is prepared to go up there themselves). I'd guess that would probably depend on how accommodating the installer is!

BCP issue - Cappamore Community Centre, Co Limerick

My brother, one evening last week, went to our local BCP to upload some course work, large file. Didn't work, got a connection but the speeds were useless.

Popped in there this morning to check and see if it was working, got a connection but it was so bad I couldn't even do a speedtest, tried 2 different test sites. Crap service unfortunately. When it was installed I got a 100 Mbps DL.

The town also has a WiFi4EU hotspot, tested 20 Mbps DL (Digiweb) this morning. My brother used this after the failure with the BCP last week, no issues.

Anyone else have similar issues with BCPs? Are they basically install and forget?

Just to add the password procedure I find very slow and not user friendly. Took ages to receive the password via SMS.

Where can you report an issue with a BCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

I don't know much about BCPs but I'm not that surprised to hear that. I assume that in most cases they are a wireless solution, rather than fibre (cos if there was fibre in the area, they wouldn't need a BCP?) so speeds might be unreliable as a result? And in some cases you have to access from a car park (eg Covid, out of hours etc) so you'll lose connection strength as a result of it passing through walls.

They seem like a PR exercise rather than an actual amenity worth having. If you have to get into your car to drive somewhere to get decent connection, then a lot of people can normally drive somewhere as close/closer than their local BCP where they can get decent speeds over 4G or even 5G using their phone as a mobile hotspot. But that's just my take on it - and if you need to use one then you should be able to expect that they work as intended. Have you asked the Community Centre if they have a contact in NBI? The alternative is to contact NBI yourself but not sure how much joy you'd get from them.

This is the Nokia ONT they install - National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress - Page 47 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Looking at the installs in the links I posted above the ONT appears to be sitting on a cradle/ODP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would be surprised if BCP's are over radio broadband. If they are there is no excuse. Eir have telephone exchanges in every town and village in the country. The reason may be that they are not fed direct with fiber but with fiber to the kerb.

I think in Cappamore the Eir exchange is at one end of town ( Limerick side) a d the Community center is on the Doon side. Its a good half mile distance at least. If that is served by copper speed would not be great.

A direct fiber back to the exchange would solve a lot of speed issue's if there is similar problems elsewhere in the country.

Slava Ukrainii

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I would be surprised if BCP's are over radio broadband.

I'm pretty certain all the BCPs are fed by licensed microwave radio links.

• Advertisement

It's definitely radio, there's a new big point-to-point antenna on the roof of one of community centre buildings and open-eir fibre passes underground outside the community centre.

Advertisement