Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Was just coming in here to post the same thing. It's clear Nick wanted to go public with it but needed help to do so in a way that offered a lot of relief to him.

Fair play to him. Hope he can live his life with that massive weight off his shoulders now.

Unfortunately it's still not the norm. Many people walk away from sport due to a fear of not being accepted.

As far as I know, there's no openly gay inter-county GAA player for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It is sad, but it's also necessary for now. Being gay is pretty normal in normal life but, as you can see from these stories, it's not normal in men's sport. Delighted Leinster is the kind of place where players can come out and get nothing but support. He called it a brotherhood and that's a great aspect of any club.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And as Genge showed us recently (and the new Lightyear movie!), there’s still plenty of knuckle draggers around. Positive stories like this are required to offset the horrible stuff that people hear about. Knowing that coming out isn’t an inherently negative experience will hopefully make this stuff a little bit less intimidating for others.

I still think Leinster is the best team in both competitions. Just have a look at the bookies for next year. Leinster massive favourites for the URC and less so for europe. Even the most dominant teams don't win every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,829 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fair play to him. Hopefully he will help other young guys in a similar position. As you say really encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ireland has come on so much in respect to inclusivity. However sport seems to still be lagging behind a little. Openly gay team sports players are rare. It’s very positive that Nick felt comfortable to do this. Which speaks well to both Leinster and rugby in general. Still a long way to go to where it can be considered no big deal though. Hopefully one day it will be but till then, fair play to him for taking the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe in men's team sports it's rare. I'd say there are a lot of lesbians in women's association, rugby and hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Fair play Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Delighted Nick is able to be himself and has the support of those around him. Hopefully soon we get to a point where no-one bats an eyelid about a player's sexuality - but until we're there, doing what he's done takes courage and character.

• Advertisement

GAA teams are doing well in this regard. I'm told most dressing rooms have open gay lads and younger teams have lads who never have to come out as they were out since they were in school. I'm thinking lower league local teams rather than inter-county teams.

Small club teams are more likely to already know everything about each other anyway. No point trying to hide something like that in the tiny village I'm from. The bigger the club and the less everyone necessary knows about each other in the club, the more likely they are to have to come out rather than just being out.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

Wasn't Donal Og openly gay playing for Cork?

Anyway, this is a good thing to see, and as someone has said its great that Leinster has created an environment where people are comfortable enough to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Plus Soroka and Maloney as flankers. I think we'll see a lot of them next season. McCarthy at 9 too.

Maybe Cosgrave too in the back three as he looks exciting, if a little light right now.

Boyle might get a shot a LH too as the competition there isn't the strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

The model to beat Leinster is established, parity in physicality, linespeed, retain possession and slow Leinster's ball down. If you can do that they are beatable and actually their game falls apart in those circumstances. Very few teams can do it though so I expect it means that those who can are better than Leinster because they figured out how to beat them and then had the skill and discipline to do it.

What's the craic with Baird? He's been anointed as... something, but he's not really getting picked and not putting in big performances. He's pretty consistently in the Ireland extended squad, but not consistently making the leinster matchday squad. Joe mccarthy has jumped him in the second row and Molony has improved and he's well ahead of him at leinster, but can't make the Ireland extended squad. It doesn't make great sense on the face of it.

He needs a decent season next year, similar to Harry Byrne. They've been picked as winners at Ireland level, but aren't able to put in performance at leinster level (partly through injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

He's been anointed as... something

He's not been "anointed" as anything. It's just widely acknowledged that he's got a lot of potential, which most would agree is true. God forbid a player hasn't nailed down a starting spot in the Leinster team aged 22 or that a young player might lack consistency.

I don't see what him being in Ireland squads has to do with Leinster? Leinster don't pick him for Ireland. You say that as though it's a negative, or as if it should pressure Leinster into selecting him, but Leinster have no control over whether Farrell wants to pick him for Ireland. Leo and Lancaster aren't obliged to pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon its a case of overhype. He's not done much of note to demand selection. Other than potential.

You seemed to pick out lots of things I didn't say, and missed the main points I made.

He has potential, certainly. Joe o Connor has potential too. He is also playing very well and getting picked for leinster ahead of Baird. Moloney is starting for leinster but can't get into the Ireland squad.

Latent talent is great but wouldn't you agree that he (and Harry Byrne) need a big season next year to manifest some of this talent?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What's the craic with Baird? He's been anointed as... something, but he's not really getting picked

He was injured for 2 1/2 months. When he came back, they seem to be looking at him as more of a 6 now. Clearly his injury isn’t fully recovered either, as he pulled out of the Bulls game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Baird is still only 22 and is miles ahead of where most second rows are at that age, he'd be even further along but for a lot of injuries this season.

Bit of perspective every now and again wouldn't hurt.

I've no problem with his age or the fact that he has lots of development to do and lots of time to do it. My question is why he keeps getting picked for Ireland ahead of people who are now doing the job better and consistently. The direct comparisons are in leinster and they're not getting picked for Ireland at all.

If we're talking about Baird as a 6 then there are competitors in other clubs who are getting great gametime and proving themselves but if we keep it to direct comparisons at leinster, there are players we'll ahead of him.

I'm.not writing him off innthe meduim or long term. I haven't suggested anything of the sort. I'm questioning why he's being picked at Ireland level and not simply being allowed to develop and manifest some of that potential before being picked at ireland level.

Baird has been in and out with injuries all season. He's only appeared for Leinster four times since the 1st of January. I think there needs to be a distinction between "not playing well" and "not playing".

He's being picked for Ireland because he has obviously impressed the national coaches and he's always done well when picked for Ireland. Joe McCarthy has been called up, so I'm not sure what you mean by "the direct comparisons are in leinster and they're not getting picked for Ireland at all". Ross Molony has been great recently but he's not really an international, either now or in the future. Ireland absolutely should be backing the young guys who can go on to be real test quality.

I never said he's "not playing well".

Moloney not being an international is axiomatic. He's not being picked for Ireland in spite of being picked for leinster. Baird isn't playing for leinster and is still being picked for Ireland.

There were a few weeks where baird was back and still wasn't being picked. He wasn't injured all the time he wasn't picked.

I'd leave him at leister to manifest some of his potential before anointing him the next big thing. Nothing wrong with picking players in extended Ireland squads or as development players. But Baird doesn't have the body of work to merit inclusion at the moment. Partly through injury, but that's a very valid cause of a player having no form to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Farrell likes selecting for athleticism, expecially in the forwards. O'Toole over Moore, Baird and Treadwell over Molony, Harry Byrne over Ross Byrne, Timoney.

WE NEED TO FOCUS ON YOUTH AND PICK YOUNGER PLAYERS WHO HAVE HIGHER CEILINGS.

Ireland do just that.

THE YOUNG GUYS DONT DESERVE SELECTION. LET THEM FIND FORM AND OUCK THE OLDER GUYS WITH LOWER CEILINGS.

Who’d be a coach, eh!?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I never got this 'ceilings' business.

Give me a player who actually performs consistently any day over someone who might perhaps one day be great.

Then you still pick Baird.

The guy has eight caps for Ireland and has acquitted himself very well. That seems to be overlooked here.

Ross Molony's 'consistent' level is of provincial squad player. Picking him for a tour to NZ based on a few weeks of very good form doesn't make sense because chances are the level we're seeing now is the exception, not the rule.

(Of course, Baird is officially going to NZ as a back-row so we should probably be talking about him in comparison to Ruddock or JOD).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I just don't really get why Ruddock, who performs week in, week out, never gets near the Irish team.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. It’s possible to do a certain amount of both. A pragmatic approach would lead to scenarios where you might do one over the other. Out half being a good example. We have Harry Byrne ahead of Ross Byrne. The latter has been very consistently delivering for Leinster but clearly isn’t Test level. The former hasn’t been delivering but has clear potential to be Test level. Are Ireland better served going with Ross or Harry? Is there even a singular answer to that? Could it be there’s a short term view and a long term view? That’s really just what squad management is all about.

Advertisement