Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DeEdge

Value of the civil service is to provide an excellent service on behalf of Government which PAS in my eyes simply did not deliver in this competition, as we know this was not the only mistake made in this competition todate. Are we content to accept sub standards from the body who are employed to higher civil service staff ?

As I did say the resit was a personal choice, however a decision candidates should not of had to make.

I don't see how a decision to advance everyone due to the technical issue would have impacted anyone who did well, everyone would have just had to simply continue as normal and PAS do have a back up plan to call on additional tests. Doubt if PAS would have received any complaints from candidates who advanced to the next stage to be honest.

HEO is the probally the backbone of the civil service and requires high standards to deliver what is required and exactly from CO to PO comp standards should be the same, why didn't this HEO comp receive these standards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 caznemoy

It was a technical issue, things like this happen every day in every office/Dept across the country. While it wasn't ideal, PAS responded in what I would say was the best way they could have by offering the resit to everyone. It was a way of offering those who were really affected by the issue a fair chance at the test. I would imagine those who weren't affected by the issue would have stayed with their original test. If I hadn't been affected I wouldn't have resat the test regardless of how I felt it went. Due to the issue I didn't get to ans many questions.

Advancing everyone would mean another test for everyone to complete, which means more commitment from all involved. I don't think I'd have wanted another stage. If I didn't pass I'd just move on. If I'm out after the next stage so be it, I didn't make the cut. That's how these competitions work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Does anyone know if shortlisting was done for the 2020 campaign between tests and interviews?

i applied but never bothered with the initial tests so didn’t follow the stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Csk2019

Do you mean 2019? If so, yes and we waited ages for the results of the shortlisting. Last year there was another comp and shortlisting was done on an asynchronous video interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Results of stage 2 are out..

“Please note, candidates scores will carry across for each county they applied for. However, at present only candidates up to and including the order of merit 422 from Stage 1 Dublin and order of merit 55 from Stage 1 Galway have been assessed at Stage 2. Further shortlisting will take place at a later date. 

It is envisaged that candidates up to and including the order of merit 140 from Stage 2 Dublin will be invited to Stage 3 Interview & Presentation in early July 2022. Please note, this is subject to change.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

Got an update this evening re shortlisting

At present we have shortlisted candidates up to and including order of merit 422 from stage 1 for Dublin and up to and including order of merit 55 from Stage 1 for Galway. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8 raven500

I was placed in the 80s OOM for the Dublin comp after stage 1. Have just been informed that I haven't been shortlisted. They are marking app forms under 4 categories and I didn't pass 2 of them. So the application form examples are key. Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 avocadoator

Shortlisting on forms as I suspected. They haven't reached my OOM yet so be interesting to see when that happens! Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dubjane

Oh wow that's really unfortunate sorry to hear that

So sorry to hear this. I have been in the same position previously. Do you mind telling me if the influence is on "Leadership" like previous competitions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

They haven’t reached my number yet… Do ye reckon 422 applicants were whittled down to 140?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I'm through to the next stage. Not in Batch one but will be in batch 2 for sure. Interestingly enough I dropped 5 places in the OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rabaen

I was 168 oom but just got notified i didn't pass the shortlisting. I'm an EO with no staff under me. That's two HEOs I've not passed because of Team Leadership. I usually score high in the tests but can't get past that staff issue. It seems bonkers I'd have to leave a great role i really like to get that up on my applications.

Disappointing to say the least. I feel like ranting but i think I'll have some ice cream instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Maximun score in each area was 50, qualifying score was 21 (in each).

Each area: Team Leadership, Managing Projects & Delivery of Results, Judgement, Analysis & Decision Making, interpersonal & Communications Skills

Combined score determined new OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

Ok so there are more than 140 through to stage 3…

• Registered Users Posts: 31 avocadoator

Hard luck. Leadership is such a tough one to pass. It's not so much about having staff as being able to show you have the ability to lead. Maybe get involved in a working group or training? I think they like that kind of thing. It's very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 StokesDrift

Didn't pass the shortlisting - failed on team leadership. I've no staff reporting to me and the nature of the work does not give many opportunities to show team leadership. Seems strange considering you've no control over where you end up as an EO. Even if I was to leave my current role, there's no guarantee the next role will see me with any staff or leadership opportunities. Am feeling very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 raven500

Well I failed Team Leadership and Analysis & Decision making. Got good scores in managing projects etc. and communications. Like others on here I have no one reporting to me, but I gave examples of teams I have led on projects including decision making and quite big judgement calls. I guess they didn't like the examples. I suppose there are key words / phrases they are looking for. I wasn't surprised not to be shortlisted to be honest so not too disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Burton

Placed in top 90 and just got notified i didnt get through for team leadership. even though I have not had any staff since the start of Covid and have had to run my entire department alone. welp. thats me looking for a new job.

Are people expecting interviews/presentations to be held in person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

In the teens on the Dublin OOM. I'm flabbergasted to be honest. I thought it would be touch and go.

Does anyone know what form the presentation will take? If i'm not mistaken pre Covid applicants were asked to give a presentation on the fly (2 hours prep) in the PAS building. During Covid we were given a week to prepare a case study + presentation. Not sure which i'd prefer.

Commiserations to those who were unsuccessful. It's a tough one to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

This is true. I wonder if the interview will be virtual or in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think PAS is under renovation so most likely online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EllieKelly123

Mine didn't mention that. I passed leadership and communication but didn't get the other two.

Sorry to hear that. The shortlisting is so subjective! I hope the feed back has improved, the last two competitions I did it was non-existent

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sibyl_savant

It all seems very strange to me. 95% of EOs in my organization have no staff reporting to them and most HEOs are internal promotions. Most of the HEOs are not leading teams. Now the purpose of this competition must be to find people to lead teams but why? Clearly many HEO positions are not about that either.

I can understand the disappointment and frustration of someone who is highly ranked on the OOM and then fails to make the cut on the basis of something that is outside their control. I spend maybe two or three good hours a day doing my actual job according to my job description, another hour on other projects. The rest of the time I spend living up to private sector stereotypes of the public sector (chatting, drinking tea etc). The reason for this is because I am very good at my job, I can manage my workload and my time. I often spend hours helping colleagues with their more difficult and complicated cases, advising them what to do and so forth. With no internal competitions on the horizon I seem condemned to stay in my current position and my managers, to their credit, see this and have confirmed my suspicions. The service is a monolith though and it has its ways, it will not change for those of us here who are clearly competent and have ability. It does not encourage others in my organization, I have colleagues who basically laugh at me and point out that there is no reward for being efficient. One of my colleagues who's best at her job, knows the role better than anyone, makes no effort to go beyond the basic because as she says she learned many years ago that if she breaks her back it is of no benefit to her personally.

You should be disappointed though and frustrated, if you have the ability, and from your post it looks as if you do, then you should be given more challenging roles and receive commensurate compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EllieKelly123

Thanks, I knew it was a long shot so I'm not too bothered. The email only gave me the scores so I emailed PAS for feedback they said will follow at a later stage.

Zoom interviews/presentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Recently did well on internal EO comp. Used Careervidz channel on YouTube. It covers most interview scenarios

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when the interviews start?

I’m towards the end of the first batch so later in the month.

Also, the application form was different than the one normally used, it only questioned 4 competencies and the leadership one was an overview rather than the usual STAR answer. I assume for the interview it will follow the usual format and we’ll need an example for all competencies?

Advertisement