Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I'd imagine slightly longer off market in Ireland due to higher multi generational families and inheritance but probably not a bad figure to keep in mind.

350 is that all? We're massively short of rentals .

The one company I am working for has a few new staff and they would rent at least 5 of those. Iv young lads earning decent wages looking for places to rent for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

A truly Irish response. And people wonder why our politicians are self serving scum. To hell with everyone else @Topgear on Dave wants his personal situation sorted now even if its terrible for future generations.

People want places to rent and need to rent them at reasonable prices.

I rented for years myself and hate seeing renters get screwed through shortages and high rent prices.

I don't know what the "future generations" comment means.

Do you think investment funds should be allowed to continue bulk buying property in this country?

The more housing provided the better as far as I am concerned.

Funds hold a tiny amount of overall stock.

People came on here and hated the "amateur" and "accidental" landlords that I rented off happily for years, and now the funds are the boogy man bad guy we can all point at as the cause of our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Its not more housing though. Funds aren't adding to the stock. They're competing for a share of the stock.

The policy intervention was introduced, in the words of the minister, to level the playing field. How does allowing these funds to outbid other interested parties and then come up with 10% stamp duty on top level the playing field? Another policy failure.

That's on government not the investment funds.

Yeah because thats why they're here. To help with our supply problem.

They should be banned.

They already see our useless government interfering in the market to keep rents high. The more they bulk buy the more power they have to increase rents further.

I despair at this kind of debate. Have we always had so many corporate apologists in this country. Next up: Cashless society is in all our best interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭wassie

Whilst that article is anectodel, there are a number of other signs discussed here that we may be finally witnessing a change in sentiment in the housing market from fear of missing out to fear of the economy.

Whilst this will most likely put a brake on price growth, whether this translates into price drops or not will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seenn00J

If I was a FTB or currently renting, the last thing in the world I would be doing is pulling out of deals right now. Once you mortgage a property in this country, it's almost impossible to be evicted. It would take the guts of a decade of non-payment + non-engagement with the bank to actually enforce an eviction. (Hence our higher than EU average mortgage interest rates). If or when the sh1t hits the fan over the coming years, it will be the folks renting or who don't own property who will likely face the worst consequences. Even if house prices fall drastically, it will be much harder to actually buy one (if the last recession is anything to go by). As the rest of the economy will be down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

What is the average fixed term in Ireland? Is it 5 years? I wonder what will happen if interest rates fly up as people who mortgage to their limit in 2017/2018 come to the end of their fixed rate terms.

A lot of talk in the US is that people are safe from rising rates as they are locked in for 30 years. It will be interesting to see how things play out in Europe where this isn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Irish house prices running 40% above long-term link to income

The Central Bank said in a report last week that “higher positive deviations from long-run averages of price-to-income ratios have historically been associated with higher probabilities of house price declines in the future, especially when shocks occur”.

The semi-annual Financial Stability Report (FSR) highlighted “evidence of emerging cyclical vulnerabilities in the housing market against a backdrop of expected increased interest rates internationally”.

The average Irish home price of €318,000 in the fourth quarter of last year equated to about 4.8 times average household disposable income of €66,600, according to data subsequently provided by a spokeswoman for the Central Bank in response to questions from The Irish Times. This is about 40 per cent above the average ratio of about 3.4 per cent since 2018, she said.

The last time the gap was so wide was in early 2008, while the all-time peak was at the end of 2006, when the ratio reached 5.5 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Banks here stress test mortgages before deciding on how much they will lend. Part of this "stress testing" is checking that you could still meet repayments on your current income in case of rate rises, or a drop in your income, or some other situations.

Thankfully we are a long way away from the days of 100% mortgages to all and sundry. While there will always be some who will struggle with higher rates, it wont be any kind of mass defaulting on payments, not close to 08 either.

Central Bank regulations on lending is one of the few regulations done very well in this country, protecting us from ourselves. We will be very glad of those rules in the years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Based on past form if house prices fell the government will do what it can to reinflate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭combat14

the alarm bells on the housing dashboard increase again:

Irish house prices running 40% above long-term link to income

this level was last seen at the start of the last housing crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The Daft report saw a sharp increase in asking prices in Q1 2022

It doesn't look like the market is slowing down anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Asking prices yes, but will they get them from now on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a report out recently that showed that 54% of all rentals were subsidized by the state. Iirc half of all new builds in estates, not one offs are bought with government money.

Totally unsustainable yet some minister was on recently bemoaning that EU fiscal rules prevented them from further increasing housing spending!

• Advertisement

If the market was slowing down, then the asking prices would slow down too. Instead they went up even harder in Q1.

I bought in Q4 2021 at asking price, demand was low. You could get a viewing whenever you wanted. Same properties in the same estate are now going for higher. There must be an increase in demand.

Then again it's almost end of Q2 so we will know soon if the trend has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I'd say Q1 2022 is almost a lifetime ago now, in terms of market sentiment. The war in Ukraine was kicking off around the end of the quarter, I think, and inflation was a worry, but nothing on the scale of now, with daily warnings of a massive global recession.

I think things have changed a little bit since then...

Consumer sentiment index January - 81.9

Consumer sentiment index May - 55.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On the meantime most people's wages will have gone up by 10+%. People buying back in 2017/18 will have sen a 30% rise in value in there property. Some may have been single then and in a relationship now. If still single they can rent a room if they are under pressure. If they are in a relationship they will have both wages gone up by 10%. Most will have sub 300k loan

The really peculiar thing is many of these when refining may end up on lower rates. Mortgage rates were particularly bad pre 2018. Banks were charging 3% for 5 year fixed. Advant money has helped reduce these rates.

Those reducing will all be in the less than 70 LTV rate now. This will knock a quarter to a half a percent off the rate above 70%LTV.

A 300k loan over 25 years still is in the 1400/month repayment range.

Slava Ukrainii

Looking at the graph, I'm looking for trend similarities between the Consumer sentiment index and the house prices

The graph shows a drop from 2018 to 2020. That drop doesn't seem to be have a correlation to the house prices in the same time frame, which instead continued to grow.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one

I guess the possible scenario playing out in my head doesn't involve everything just remaining exactly as is right now over the next year or two i.e. more inflation -> higher interest rates -> re-emergence of eurozone debt crisis -> unemployment etc. Probably won't happen of course.

Have we been playing Hide and Seek with the mortgage arrears issue?

It would appear that many of those troubled mortgages sold by the banks are stuck on the variable rates

The mortgages sold include performing and non-performing loans, and are on tracker and variable rates. Some 85,000 family home mortgages have been sold by mainstream banks in recent years..........

A recent Central Bank report estimated that 54pc of the accounts sold to vultures are in long-term mortgage arrears

Simply one number that shows that things have changed drastically since Q1. Incidentally, Dublin prices did drop in 2019 (along with interest rates).

I think we will all know by September what is going to happen but I think it takes Ostrich levels of denial to suggest the wind hasn't changed over the past couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This.

Q1 2022 is a long time ago. Back then the Fed thought that inflation was still transitory. Now they are throwing the kitchen sink at trying to rein in inflation.

Stocks are in a bear market, Crypto has crashed near 80%, War in Ukraine, China has major issues to deal with, and Inflation is rampant across the entire western world......

Numbers from Q2 onwards will be very different from Q1. The winter could be bleak as people just batten down and see what transpires.

• Advertisement

Just working off the medians for Pembroke. A median joint purchaser buying a house for 750k and borrowing 600k. Repayments would be 2600/ month. There salary was 161k presuming they achieved a 5% a erage pay rise they would now be earning 170k between them. There annual net salary is nearly 110k or 9k/ month. Repayments are 28% of take home pay.

Slava Ukrainii

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think if you do the calculation for most price points, assuming that people bought at close to max LTV and max LTI, then you're always going to get a percentage between 25 and 30.

This is exactly what the LTI rules were designed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PommieBast

A notably absent figure is the write-down on the value of the loan books when they were sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

People who managed to hold themselves in last crash from buying..how did u navigate 2-3 years of slump from 2008-2011 before buying? Where there articles similar to this year of impeding recession/crash? Or it was your foresight or anything else you watched out for..

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These NIMBYs are going into overdrive at this stage and seem to be getting plenty of air time, front and centre of the Irish Times site today. I find their argument entirely disingenuous, and I do not believe for a second their spiel that if the developer had made a smaller development they wouldn't have complained.

And the number of times Dundrum is referred to as a village, without question, is astonishing. Dundrum is not a village, it has not been a village in a very long time. It's a major area in Ireland's capital city.

This development needs to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

No matter what the development or design is intended to be, its never the right one, somehow.

Pulling the ladder up after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

The Dundrum nimbys are among the worst, and that's saying something given some of the dynamite quotes we've gotten from the Milltown nimbys in the last year.

They packed out Taney Hall to the rafters with nimbys voicing their objections to the scheme, average age in the room of circa 70.

There is a quote in that article from a woman who says her family bought their house in the area when it was first built in 1963. The irony seems to be completely lost on them that if residents at the time had objected to her house being built she would not be in such a privileged position today to voice their objection to a new scheme in Dundrum.

Take note of the politicians objecting to the scheme. FG are all over this one. Jim O'Leary is quoted in that article spouting absolute nonsense that the scheme needs to cater to employment as well as residential needs. Jim, if you're reading this, I would challenge you to take a walk around Dundrum Town Centre and even Nutgrove Shopping Centre and count all of the help wanted signs in the shop windows, there's quite a few of them. You say that the area is zoned for mixed use and 95% of the scheme is to be used for residential units, I would have thought that is perfectly commensurate with the need for housing presently. Josepha Madigan was a notable objector to the scheme too.

The nimbys are a national disgrace and it's near time their objections were treated with appropriate disdain.

• Advertisement

Rents collapsed with prices so it was easy to hold.

Yes there were plenty of warnings. Northern Rock Bank went bust a year before 08 collapse. Eyes turned to Anglo after that culminating in the Patrick's day share price collapse. There was a primetime docu warning of high risks in the system.

Note there were warnings right through the noughties escalating on the introduction of 100% mortgages but they were more frequent in 07/08, leading to Berties suicide comment about people talking down.

Daft and real estate alliance reports are amongst the better reports out there for a view of where the market is at but no substitute for your own leg work in the area you intend to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

The only trick to holding out in 2008-2011 was to not get fired or be forced to take a massive paycut. I was a penniless PhD student so no chance of buying property regardless, but I appreciated the 30+% drop in my rent

This time however I don't see the rents collapsing, certainly not to the same extent

Mortgage fraud is up in the States. I know the central bank have strict rules about lending but before a crash they usually go out the window. It'd be interesting to see fraud stats for here. I had a look but couldn't find any.

2 job losses, (08 and 10) plus reduction in pay in subsequent jobs in our household. There was always a cloud over the jobs so we were prepared.

Recessions can be scary but they can bring incredible opportunity.

I feel this one could be very different to 08

Some people actually have a heart and would feel bad for having a property you cant pay for..... the next 12 months should be interesting.

Are people who are currently renting looking to buy asap or holding tight? Interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

I was planning to buy in the next 12 months assuming i could find the right property of course but i think i'll be tolding tight for now.

Very different in what sense? I guess back then there was an over supply with rents fairly low.

Yes, my wife and I are in the same boat. Have both steady jobs, a decent deposit saved but just haven't seen a house we really want as of yet. I think the key is not to panic buy and buy a house you actually want to live in long term. We are happy to rent until that time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What I don't understand with these new developments (and we're seeing the same thing out my way with the O' Deanvey Gardens redevelopment) is the sheer height and scale of the things. It's like there was no room for moderation at any stage of the planning.

Yes, we need lots more homes, and fast. Yes, we need to go higher than we have been historically. But at what point do we say 'okay, that's high enough?' in regards to how something sits into its surroundings? Again, we need big developments to help solve the housing crisis, but at the same time I would assume folks want to have some kind of visual attractiveness to the developments and not just massive monstrosities everywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Dense developments are badly needed in the cities, as the alternative is sprawl and more traffic.

Attitudes against dense development is why we have endless housing estates as far as the eye can see, and chronic traffic issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement