Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

People who managed to hold themselves in last crash from buying..how did u navigate 2-3 years of slump from 2008-2011 before buying? Where there articles similar to this year of impeding recession/crash? Or it was your foresight or anything else you watched out for..

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These NIMBYs are going into overdrive at this stage and seem to be getting plenty of air time, front and centre of the Irish Times site today. I find their argument entirely disingenuous, and I do not believe for a second their spiel that if the developer had made a smaller development they wouldn't have complained.

And the number of times Dundrum is referred to as a village, without question, is astonishing. Dundrum is not a village, it has not been a village in a very long time. It's a major area in Ireland's capital city.

This development needs to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

No matter what the development or design is intended to be, its never the right one, somehow.

Pulling the ladder up after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Underground

The Dundrum nimbys are among the worst, and that's saying something given some of the dynamite quotes we've gotten from the Milltown nimbys in the last year.

They packed out Taney Hall to the rafters with nimbys voicing their objections to the scheme, average age in the room of circa 70.

There is a quote in that article from a woman who says her family bought their house in the area when it was first built in 1963. The irony seems to be completely lost on them that if residents at the time had objected to her house being built she would not be in such a privileged position today to voice their objection to a new scheme in Dundrum.

Take note of the politicians objecting to the scheme. FG are all over this one. Jim O'Leary is quoted in that article spouting absolute nonsense that the scheme needs to cater to employment as well as residential needs. Jim, if you're reading this, I would challenge you to take a walk around Dundrum Town Centre and even Nutgrove Shopping Centre and count all of the help wanted signs in the shop windows, there's quite a few of them. You say that the area is zoned for mixed use and 95% of the scheme is to be used for residential units, I would have thought that is perfectly commensurate with the need for housing presently. Josepha Madigan was a notable objector to the scheme too.

The nimbys are a national disgrace and it's near time their objections were treated with appropriate disdain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Rents collapsed with prices so it was easy to hold.

Yes there were plenty of warnings. Northern Rock Bank went bust a year before 08 collapse. Eyes turned to Anglo after that culminating in the Patrick's day share price collapse. There was a primetime docu warning of high risks in the system.

Note there were warnings right through the noughties escalating on the introduction of 100% mortgages but they were more frequent in 07/08, leading to Berties suicide comment about people talking down.

Daft and real estate alliance reports are amongst the better reports out there for a view of where the market is at but no substitute for your own leg work in the area you intend to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

The only trick to holding out in 2008-2011 was to not get fired or be forced to take a massive paycut. I was a penniless PhD student so no chance of buying property regardless, but I appreciated the 30+% drop in my rent

This time however I don't see the rents collapsing, certainly not to the same extent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Mortgage fraud is up in the States. I know the central bank have strict rules about lending but before a crash they usually go out the window. It'd be interesting to see fraud stats for here. I had a look but couldn't find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

2 job losses, (08 and 10) plus reduction in pay in subsequent jobs in our household. There was always a cloud over the jobs so we were prepared.

Recessions can be scary but they can bring incredible opportunity.

I feel this one could be very different to 08

Some people actually have a heart and would feel bad for having a property you cant pay for..... the next 12 months should be interesting.

Are people who are currently renting looking to buy asap or holding tight? Interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

I was planning to buy in the next 12 months assuming i could find the right property of course but i think i'll be tolding tight for now.

Very different in what sense? I guess back then there was an over supply with rents fairly low.

Yes, my wife and I are in the same boat. Have both steady jobs, a decent deposit saved but just haven't seen a house we really want as of yet. I think the key is not to panic buy and buy a house you actually want to live in long term. We are happy to rent until that time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What I don't understand with these new developments (and we're seeing the same thing out my way with the O' Deanvey Gardens redevelopment) is the sheer height and scale of the things. It's like there was no room for moderation at any stage of the planning.

Yes, we need lots more homes, and fast. Yes, we need to go higher than we have been historically. But at what point do we say 'okay, that's high enough?' in regards to how something sits into its surroundings? Again, we need big developments to help solve the housing crisis, but at the same time I would assume folks want to have some kind of visual attractiveness to the developments and not just massive monstrosities everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Dense developments are badly needed in the cities, as the alternative is sprawl and more traffic.

Attitudes against dense development is why we have endless housing estates as far as the eye can see, and chronic traffic issues.

Just reading through some of the comments on here dating back a few months. Its laughable, I never knew we had so many Economists on this thread. Half says the market is about to crash (mainly renters I would imagine), the other half (I'm guessing home owners) are saying there is no way the market will crash.... I guess time will tell. Economists world wide are saying the market has peaked, but the Economists on here dont seem to agree.

Increased pay is only temporary one would have to think...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

For better or worse, if that Dundrum development goes ahead its going to cause the mother of all traffic issues, on top of the mother of the mother of all traffic issues the mental hospital development is going to cause. I'm yet to see any plans as to how the roads or the luas is going to deal with either?

Beyond NIMBYism, some of these developments do have genuine issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting to note that prices here are now generally 40pc higher than the average across the European Union

Combined housing costs such as rents, mortgage rates, gas and electricity, are again the most expensive at 89pc above the EU average

has to be food for thought for anyone thinking of coming to holiday, do business or live here .. we are going to eventually price ourselves out of certain markets

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

if you follow economists especially academic ones, long enough, you realize most of them are charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Wow, some startling figures in there. Rip off Republic at its finest. Where's the outrage? How long more can this continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

some kind of visual attractiveness

Agree, many of the apartments being built look appalling. It's a shame there isn't some sort of aesthetic requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ridiculous regulation like MUP certainly and unnecessarily add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

the video is like a waterford whispers sketch!

complaining like they'll never see sun hit their houses again ffs.

Master of the Universe

I do agree we need dense developments, but this need seems to have given developers a kind of carte blanche to build the densest, highest, ugliest things they can and anyone who objects is branded a NIMBY and told to shut up.

There's definitely a space in between developers throwing up cheap ugly housing and NIMBY-ism objecting to everything. Good design is (you'd think anyway) a staple of architecture and building. With this push for accelerated building we've actual been given an amazing opportunity to create great spaces for people to live in but I'd imagine the simplest solution for developers is what we're going to see more and more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Good design vs ugly design has nothing to do with density for the most part. If the density requirements weren't there, then we would be seeing horrendously ugly housing estates of semi Ds going up instead.

Just have a look at what new build housing estates look like these days either, its all about glass, corner full height windows, no gardens, no fascia/soffit. Council estates from the 60s had more visual appeal than the crap they churn out today - and even they were denser! (council terraces vs private semi Ds)

Master of the Universe

We're kind of agreeing here though, I've no issue with density as long as it's done right visually. A lot of objections I see are coming from folks saying that they've no problem with new developments in their area, just to please make them look visually appealing and not just a huge mass of concrete and glass with no consideration given to the area around it.

I suppose the problem is, visual flair and consideration costs more money. Why would developers bother spending more when they can just pack in as many apartments as possible?

Its just starting to give me shades of all the corpo flats that were thrown up as a matter of urgency to replace the falling down tenement buildings. They served their purpose and housed people, but ultimately now are ugly as sin and being torn down in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Why are we still on the 2021 thread when we are half way through 2022 already? 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

How is yer wan at the end with her objection essay letter..climate change, mental health, removal of trees for the bridge, biodiversity

....and she still she could write more.

Advertisement