Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on Beaches

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Plenty of people make more **** of the beaches than dogs do. If only we could ban them.

Personally, I'd love a child-free beach myself. Have a fear and dislike of them and feel like screaming if they come too close. Joking aside, I am a dog lover but I used to have a fear of dogs so I do understand how that can be scary. I think many dog owners don't consider that not everyone likes dogs. IMO in the very same way that many parents don't consider that not everyone likes children.

The dog dirt is obviously a problem for people, but trust me, it's a huge problem for responsible dog owners too. Not only does it let the side down, but we don't want our dogs exposed to it either.

Ireland is waaaay behind the rest of the Europe (when are we ever not?) when it comes to pet-friendly locations. Please don't be trying to take more spaces away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whataboutery.

I've yet to see a dog get into a car and drive itself to a beach for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No we can’t be saying things like that. We’re too self entitled, as Loueze elegantly pointed out

You don’t need to start telling lies in the thread when trying to get your point across though. Ruins it.

• Advertisement

What lies have I told? Please quote, and show your proof.

Do you normally resort to this kind of utterly immature behaviour and making unfounded accusations when people disagree with your point of view?

You know nothing about my life, past or present.

So I repeat - grow up.

The convenience of your answer being ‘yes’ to the other person’s question

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think the OP has had their question answered. They can get onto the county council to report dogs being walked outside of the specified hours. We've also ascertained that some people want dogs on beaches, and some don't, regardless of the hour. If you're unhappy with the bylaws, speak to the council. We all agree no one wants dog **** between their toes. Anything outside of this can be taken elsewhere.

Thanks

That is not proof that I have told any lies.

I repeat, you know nothing about my life, past or present.

Blocked and now reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My child is absolutely terrified of dogs.

I've no idea why. A puppy was brought into the house when they were around 18mths old and they were absolutely terrified. Ran into the arms of another relative and buried their face. Wouldn't even look at the dog, no amount of coaxing would work.

Went for a walk along howth harbour and a dog on one of those extendable leads went over to them and the poor child almost threw themselves into the sea trying to get away.....I had a harness on them and was holding their hand so they weren't going anywhere but it would have been nice if the dog owners pulled the dog away instead of jokingly saying the dog is friendly, while my 2 year old is very clearly distressed.

I don't have a fear of dogs but I don't like strange dogs coming near me or the kids. Children are unpredictable and if a dog is startled they can bite and then they will pay the ultimate price.

As for breaking the rules, there will always be people who think that the rules don't apply to them.

We have a "shur be grand" culture , which is why you'll see dogs off leads when they should be on them, cars parked on double yellows, cars parked on footpaths, non blue badge holders parked in disabled parking spots , obviously plenty more examples but they are at the top of my head.

So the way I look at it if you condone one law being broken you can't get on a high horse over another law being broken (law might not be the right work but you get the point). Just because you don't have an issue with it, or you think it's a stupid law, doesn't take away from the fact your non adherence to the law may negatively impact someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

While I have every sympathy, dogs fouling a sandy area is not a high concern to me.

The rotting detritus that is left by the tide might not be too healthy either and the beach is washed every twelve hours.

Obviously other wrongs do not justify what is offensive, but on a global level the amount of plastic on the beach is frankly of more concern to me given the quantity, extent of its spread and the fact that even with the UV that pysically degrades it to microscopic levels, chemically it is still a problem. I would be only too confident that the recognisable plastics in the human body considerably outnumber the doggysplodge particle count.

My personal strong dislike here in Kerry are windsufers that cannot be bothered to walk a couple of hundred meters. They bring SUV's onto the beach and convert what was once an idyllic untouched quiet area into something resembling an Aldi car park. These people do not give a damn about others and open up the access points to coastal erosion and here in particular cause sand to be swept across the road causing those that slow to risk having to borrow a shovel and those that develop the speed to get across the small hill of sand often getting quite a surprise to meet someone coming from the opposite direction with the same idea.

Of course come the summer, one or two vehicles parked up seems to be an open invitation to the picnickers and everyone else who cannot be bothered to walk.

So really they would all be better off on an Ald car park to be near the burgers and loads of the motor vehicles they like so much.

So dog excrement? bring some with you if you are here for some quiet coastal walks, if it deters windsurfers and other people wanting to wreck the place here, it will be welcomed.

Thank god you've blocked me.

In regard to the posts on the thread, in the end of the day, people cannot be saying others are being self-entitled of 'Karens' when the bye-laws are literally there

It's not fair on people who want to use the beach when it is expected that there'll be no dogs on them. not only the dogshit, the barking etc, but simple things too like the potential of a dog running at you/your ball if it's off its leash, people with fears of dogs etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement