Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Anyone watching it on TV yesterday, what was the consensus on the penalty? At the game it seemed that the contact was outside and player fell in but hard to tell even with the big screen. I thought it was a bit harsh but at least there was no black card as well. That really dragged Sligo back into it. We had our luck with their other missed goal chances (albeit we missed 4 or 5 ourselves). The other thing that wasn't clear was O'Connor's shot at goal in the second half that was sigalled a point. Looked wide from where I was sitting and looked like Hawkeye could have been called in (much like James Smith's effort).

The pace of the game was high, but no real needle. We got really lucky with one call (Gunner with a block off the ball when Sligo's tails were really up in the second half) but Sligo got a couple of marginal calls (the 45 they missed should have been called for a Murphy foul on Jason beforehand, never mind who actually touched the ball last; Galligan took a catch and was pushed over the line and instead of a free they got a line ball). The ref let most things flow, but if the linesman in the first half was being picky Laffey probably should have been black carded for dragging Thomas Galligan down off the ball.

I think Donegal might query that assertion as being Westmeath being a cut above what we've played.

Hard to judge Westmeath based on them effectively playing an underage Offaly team (who definitely will have lots in the future, but it was men against boys). I'm glad they ran up a cricket score as at least we won't be going into the final as red-hot favourites and it definitely will be a close run affair.

Looking at comparable results, Westmeath drew with Fermanagh in the league (and the latter had a score ruled out incorrectly). They beat Antrim by 4 points but only because Antrim threw away a 4point lead in the last 10 minutes. They beat Laois by a goal in the first round of the Tailteann and then beat Carlow by 5 points. Yesterday's performance was impressive, but Offaly were at sea in that first half.

Granted, Westmeath will have runners that will like what they saw Sligo do to us. But I expect us to play to a much higher level in three weeks and also I think we will put some definite plans in place for Westmeath and especially O'Toole, Loughlin and Heslin.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

It was no penalty. Contact was definitely outside the box. If we weren't 6 points up I feel the referee's decision might have been different.

On Hawkeye, I'm open to correction here but I believe Hawkeye confirms every score. If a wide was signalled as a point or vis versa, the referee is notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

If Hawkeye confirms every score, why are there umpires? The two lads on Sunday at the Hill end really hadn’t a clue a lot of the time. I thought only scores where the ref signals to check Hawkeye are confirmed.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Hawkeye does not work for goals, only points. The umpires will also assist the referee with spotting square balls etc.

When an umpire makes an incorrect decision, a review official will make contact to the referee to inform him it's necessary to use hawkeye. Basically, there should never be an incorrect call for a point or wide in Croke Park if Hawkeye is operating.

• Advertisement

Yes, but Hawkeye is only brought into play if requested by an official. For James Smith's point, the umpires on the Hill end weren't sure (one flagged it wide, the other called the ref in) and hence Hawkeye was requested.

For O Connor's point, he flashed a drive either in front of the goal or over the bar. I think it looked wide but no one challenged it. Immaterial anyways. Was pretty sure the penalty was dodgy, and like was noted, if the game was tighter would have less likely to have been given.

My understanding is that hawkeye basically checks every score. If the guy controlling hawkeye sees that something has been flagged wrong on field and it hasn't been requested for review, he contacts the referee to refer to hawkeye. The only thing I could find in the protocol was the below. This covers where no point was flagged where the ball went over. I presume this would cover the opposite. Would be interested to know for sure though.

Where Umpire does not indicate that a point has been scored and the play continues:

- Review Official communicates to Referee that a Hawk-Eye review is necessary

- Referee stops play

- Referee makes a 'box' signal with his hands to seek Hawk-Eye review

- The Hawk-Eye replay is shown on the Big Screen

- Referee confirms Hawk-Eye decision and awards a 'point'. Umpire signals the decision.

I wonder will many of the extended panel who haven't gotten much game time head back to their clubs for the last league games? Oisin Brady lined out for Killygarry against Ballyhaise on Tuesday evening. Conor Madden the week before for Gowna. Will Moynagh get game time for Drumgoon or the likes of Cian Reilly for Killygarry (WAC said he was injured and hence not on the panel at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Anyone know when the tickets for the final go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

12 o’clock tomorrow

• Advertisement

I can’t see a price list yet, it will be up at 12 also

Any idea will there be seat allocations for this or a general admission and free for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

General admission

Is it not seat allocation? Or can you sit anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I think you’re wrong, allocated seats on Ticketmaster.

Yep, it's allocated tickets and not that easy to get them this morning. Website was very slow and there even was a virtual queue to get them.

Looks like a fair few of the Westmeath senior panel lined out for their league finals. Scant information on Twitter this weekend, but it looks like no Cavan county starters were involved for their clubs for the final round of league games.

In terms of the extended panel, Niall Murray lined out for the Gaels, and Jack McKenna for Laragh. Conor Maddden scored 2-3 for Gowna.

No idea on the likes of Moynagh or the Holla who are only coming back whether they lined out or not. Shannon Gaels ran up a big score. Did McGovern play? That's up Yevon's neck of the woods, he usually can has that sort of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Crossed wires on my part sorry. I was trying to say no club allocations.

Good luck in the final.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Anyone get tickets yet, not great ones available so far.

If you’re getting kids tickets, they usually stick you in the Davin or the Cusack beside it.

Any word from the camp this week? How are things shaping up? What are peoples thoughts on the starting team? Will anyone break into the 26 eg Connor madden or is he too far off the pace yet?

Be interesting to see what happens with Ciaran Brady. I think he should have been eased back in. At one point against Sligo, there was what you’d expect to be a bread and butter score for him on but he was clearly reluctant to shoot.

Graham seems to like Stephen Smith in Croke Park but I don’t think he did enough in the SF. Cian Madden is a player did grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he did get on.

I wonder will Martin reilly be fit after coming off injured v Sligo, Cian madden played very well when introduced the last day and he might well start, Conor Moynagh might start too .

Hopefully falkner will be well over the sickness he had before the Sligo game and be back to his best.

He needs a bit of cover back there. He has been left hugely exposed since the 2020 season. I don’t know how many times I’ve mentioned it on here over the past 18 months now about his struggles trying to play marquee forwards 1vs1.

Cavan have looked very open in every championship game we have played this year when teams run at us so I would have large concerns re our defensive setup unless something changes to shore it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i wouldn't be surprised to see moynagh starting at 10 or 12 and dropping back in front of Heslin,

Teamwise i think we have enough to just about get over the line but we need our big men G mc, Galligan and James Smith all to show up for the full 70 mins

i can see mickey playing it cautious for the first 20 mins so i wouldn't expect a rip roaring start

I'm looking forward to this game and the competition has gained the credibility that i hoped it would so now lets go win it and have the distinction of being the first champions

• Advertisement

For the first half against Donegal we did really well at blocking up the middle (barring Mogan and Gallagher- and in fairness they are speed merchants and hard to stop when they have momentum), forcing turnovers and breaking out. I'm not sure since then if it has been in our plan to stop the opposition and we seem to have been more or less content to out-score whoever we were playing. Against both Down and Sligo we were sliced open again and again with runners through the middle. That's not on Faulkner or the Gunner, but further out the field.

I think we might see a change in tactics and we might see a more cautious approach. I agree about the Holla. He's not near match fit or sharp enough. He's a class act and will be back to his best hopefully soon but I would 100% start Moynagh over him for the final if the latter is fit.

Advertisement