Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

the max level of prices that consumers will pay has finally been reached.

a reckoning is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Inflation is going to bed in at this stage hard to see otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Well said, your bang on with the wage price spiral its coming and I have absolutely no faith in the ECB, I believe they will tolerate high inflation in order to save the bloc and if the war drags on, the working man will rise up and take to the streets because this winter will frighten people food costs have not even taken off yet.

Populist movement throughout Europe are rising and wont be long till the working population is banging the drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

People say property prices won't come down because housing construction stops but people must remember how many foreigners are in Ireland who have nothing tying them here. I've said it before but from April 2009 - April 2010, 75% of those who emigrated were non nationals.

I advertised a room online last year and 85% roughly were foreigners. Go onto facebook accommodation pages and nearly all of the comments posted underneath ads are foreigners.

If these people start to leave due to job losses or a bad economy, then a lot of pressure is going to come off the rental market. And rents will fall. And then people who are desperate to buy will find renting more acceptable because they're not paying as much and interest rates are increasing and then house prices will fall.

There is plenty properties which been bought as investment for money which came from coockoos hedges or other funds.Those funds will not sitting and watching when value of property will fall down.

They will start Sell Off and this will cover shortage of houses .

The next thing nobody never said and there is no information about how many houses been sold privately and how many houses been sold to hedges or coockoos .So by my point of view shortage of houses been created by funds from abroad which was buying 200 houses from site when ordinary people was buying only 50 for example.

So even if sites will stoped there will be plenty houses on market and if foreigners will start back there will be streets of empty houses.

Possibly to make situation soften on rental property market government bringing refugees from Ukraine .Also trying get money from Brussels for housing refugees government will try keep sites moving same as Poland did already .

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

It's not mentioned too often but the upcoming recession (which might lead to something much more severe than just a recession) is not caused by the pandemic or war in Ukraine. It's something that has been brewing for much, much longer and has to do with how the whole economic system is built and how it works. You can blame the procedures made several times to artificially improve the situation but the truth is, what goes up, must come down. An economic collapse was always in the books because that is what happens from time to time if you look at history. Of course one can speculate about faults in the system which make it possible for an economical catastrophe to occur but so far no-one has been able to come up with a better system.

This is not really a surprise for anyone who has been following the news for decades and knows something about economics. The signs have been there for a very long time. Sadly things have been made worse with bad decisions, one of them being for example what Germany did which is to close all the nuclear power plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who cares, needs must. Biden is going hand in cap to the Saudis to beg for more oil, an absolutely heinous regime. I can't see how we can cut one of the largest energy producers in the world out of our supplies and not face an economic meltdown in the west.

Russia is selling oil to China.

NATO have said the war could go on for years. If the sanctions were so bad, how could NATO envisage the war going on for years?

The reality is though they don't have any alliances, not a member of NATO or the EU and Putin knew that. Is the West and primarily the US prepared to finance a long protracted proxy war with Russia by supplying the Ukraine with endless weapons while our economies tank? I'm not so sure. The sanctions are designed to pressure Russia to stop the war and bring them back into the fold as quickly as possible. Longer this goes on, the west will push Zelensky to agree to a large annexation of Ukraine to bring "peace".

The problems of 2008 were postponed when we just created more debt.

bank of England ecb the fed all created money out of nothing to buy bonds from the markets to help encourage banks to lend to people. They also brought interest rates to negative.

The problem with the next crisis is what tools do governments and central banks have left to help.

I would argue very little. Hope I am wrong.

War will be ended this year otherwise world will remember photos of battle for Stalingrad with frozen bodies on fields and people in Ukraine cities will will feel the same as people in Leningrad during blockade at winter time.

Putin in his speech at Economic forum in Sankt Petersburg said clearly World will never as it was before.

Press secretary of Russian government Mr Peskov said Russia doesn't trust West anymore.

The world we entering in will be mad different. The recession and financial crisis which started already is just small parts of World crisis started.

I am pretty sure the war against Taiwan will start soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Any military action on Taiwan will see us go from on verge of recession to economic meltdown. Taiwanese refugees would be the least of anyones worries.

There are already massive chip shortages, Taiwans semiconductor facilities being either captured or damaged would send global supply chains reeling. No new consumer electronics, no new cars, heavy machinery, etc etc. Taiwan manufacture something like 50% of all chips on their territory, and even higher % of advanced/high end chips.

Thankfully China acting on Taiwan is not that likely

If China acted on Taiwan we might aswell find a new planet or something. Sanctions on China and the disruption to chip production in Taiwan would be devastating to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and ultimately the problem is we ve been primarily using that new debt/money to (re)inflate pre-existing asset prices, rather than using it to create new assets, and implementing other polices in order to try redistribute the wealth created, now we have rapidly rising wealth inequality, and a big pile of sh1te on our hands!

If the Central banks printed billions and used it to write down the level of debt people hold than I could understand, but they printed billions and gave it to the financial markets so the banks could start lending again and the level of household debts could increase further.

they have compounded the problems of 2008, there is just too much debt that is simply unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boardsie12

I'm pretty sure that it has already reached some parts of the world!

Now, similar to the 2008 recession, you're going to see companies taking shortcuts and reducing staff while everyone gets hit with a heavier load.

I was working in a restaurant during the last recession and pre-2008, we always had six people on our side of the kitchen. The boss cut that down to 5 during the recession years, and we all had to work harder for a lower salary, it was absolute chaos and this went on for years, along with other cutbacks.

I can see the same happening again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely, the process of money creation in both the public and private domains(credit creation), have effectively been commandeered by wealthy entities to further their gains, i.e. asset ownership, this process is now in a slow state of collapse, again baring in mind, most debts in circulation are in the private domain, i.e. private debt, this is ultimately where our problems lie. the only way to counteract this is wide scale debt forgiveness programs along side a wide scale public debt expansion, but this may never occur!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Rip off republic once again. Was out in Dublin city last Sunday for a few pints, my god to say I was rode is an under statement. I have tickets to the Eagles for this Friday and I am not able to go anymore because of a Wedding, have the tickets up for resale on Ticketmaster and like loads others they are not moving at all. The tickets are up for 60 each put its the hotels and accommodation that is really stopping people going to the capital, the knock on affect of these prices will just destroy the place.

Remember all the goody goodys in the local facebook pages saying "support your local businesses!!" during/after covid. Look how they're treating their customers now when they can get away with ripping people off. I always say, support yourself.

This is 2008 part Deux, that was arguably a follow on from the denial after the dot com crash in the 90s.

Decades of not dealing with a problem for a short hard period.

Unfortunately the opportunity has passed.

The EU and several countries in it have been winding down food and energy for years now.

Never mind that evil hireling Merkel.

It's a pity she didn't get one in the head in 2014. A lot of damage would have been avoided but shur her replacement would have been bought by Moscow as well .

Ireland apparently the most food secure nation in the world yet third most expensive in the EU for food.

Biden on way to meet Xi and apologize about sanctions brought by Trump and Biden him self.Looks like sanctions was more damaging the US economy than China.Some sanctions against China will be canceled.Inflation did the job in USA and Biden try reduce price of goods which comming from China.

The visit to Saudi Arabia on hold until mid of July .Looks like Saudi Arabia not gonna give oil cheaper .

Any way this desperate democrats jumps just show that they try get more votes on November Congress elections which they definitely will loose.

Austria, Germany,Ireland gonna burn coal to produce electricity.Hej green party politics which came to power promising green world ! What about your promises which brought you to parlament ? Here you could see how much politicians promises worth ! Doesn't even worth them s..

Hej Greta ! Time back on street !But something tells me that she will hide under sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Will have a big impact in cork city too. A lot of tech companies over by mahon point

Advertisement