Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Not to get too off topic but I think the feeling at the time was Rossie delegates led the Connacht counties to vote against Keady. Most casual Galway fans are unaware of the debacle though, or at least weren't till his passing.

On-topic there very front row tickets are on sale for Sunday on ticketmaster. Not amazing from a vantage point but might do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Ah i did know that story, but I don't think I ever heard of it being referred to as the Tony Keady affair. I also don't remember Tony Keady for that, even though that article is doing its best to make sure thats what he was remembered for.

I also did not know about the vote! That was harsh in fairness! A perfectly good thing to hold against fans that had nothing to do with it 33 years later.

Personally I have alot of friends in Galway and have always shouted for them in the hurling,and I don't actually know any Mayo fans that don't shout for them in the hurling. When it comes to football I would always shout for them too if we are out of the championship. Seeing as we are still in contention though I would much prefer to lose an all Ireland Final(if we make it that far of course!!!!) against Armagh than Galway so Its Armagh for me this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I have a lot of friends in Galway as well.

They're all from Mayo.

I never get the "shouting" for other counties thing, I wouldn't shout for anyone bar ourselves... there are some counties that I wouldn't mind seeing win a game, that would vary depending on circumstances, opponents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

This !

The only team I will be shouting for on Sunday is mayo .

I certainly won’t be shouting for Armagh . In fact I’d prefer to have another crack at Galway if we get over Kerry……

Its a friendly rivalry with Galway as I’ve said many times before. If one team loses and the other wins on Sunday there will be slagging for sure. Give it and take it is my motto :@

On the hurling I don’t know anybody in my part of Mayo and circle of friends who doesn’t want Galway to win when they are playing?

The only time I’ve come across anyone hoping they would lose was in East Galway when a few lads were unhappy with manager and team selection !They also felt Joe Canning was holding the team back though so the bitterness of club hurling politics was strong with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Heard an interview with keady a few years ago and he definitely still holds a grudge over it. Quiet rightly too as he was singled out and he did point to the Connaught vote.

• Advertisement

Post edited by muddle84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Hope ya had a good laugh at that yourself cause doubt many others had .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Crikey that took a turn. I apologise for bringing it up. It was a spiteful move from county boards who were afraid of hurling spread within Connacht at the time but had nothing to do with fans and indeed fan relationship between Galway & Mayo was probably at it's highest in the early to mid 90's after that. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

There is going to be an attendance north of 60,000 , biggest attendance in 3 years and no special matchday train from the west, its a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I've being told it's coming either this evening or early tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've removed the post now. It was meant as a joke but in hindsight it was in very poor taste and I'm not sure how i thought it could be taken as even the slightest bit funny. I did not mean to offend so I apologise to all for it and I certainly meant no disrespect to Tony Keady or his family as he was somebody I had great respect for! Sorry all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I have one or two tickets going in 307 if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mod Edit

Warning issued as poster is Threadbanned.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

More tickets on sale on gaa.ie including lower hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

He's a good poster and contributes a lot around here,he made an ill judged comment, then apologised and deleted it.

You're a mess of a poster and are constantly banned from threads.

Nothing more to say.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Banned or goes missing like his team. A clown of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

Lads slightly off topic but still ticket related - has anyone experience with transferring tickets through TM website or app? I have 5 tickets on my phone for our group but a couple won’t make the earlier match which I’m keen to see. TM saying ‘Transfer Unavailable’ and I understand that screenshots of the QR codes won’t work either. Any suggestions? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Screenshots are perfectly fine. Its what I do when I buy tickets for my siblings and myself. For some games we only arrive at different times and have never had a problem with QR codes on a Screenshot.

Ok cheers, I get a warning message when I take the screen grab that says ‘no valid QR Code detected’, assume that it’s just a warning only so. Thanks.

Must be, I've never had a warning like that pop up and I've used them for gakes and gigs for a long time now. I've sent screenshots to them for the game on Sunday again as we are all traveling from different parts of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Not sure who or where said the screenshots or pictures of the QR codes wouldn't work. They're perfect. Vague memories of the headache trying to sort an elderly relative out with the Ticketmaster App early in the year, from what I remember it wouldn't load the QR code without an active data connection which seemed a mind boggingly poor idea as a default. Used a screenshot that day and for every game since.

If for any reason you did need a backup you could have each person download their ticket from your Ticketmaster account to a Google Pay wallet (or whatever other Apple Wallet or alternative you/they might like). No real benefit but if gives any peace of mind why not. Usual caveats of making sure they have it WhatsApp'd/emailed/whatever to a backup contact they trust and likely to be with them or to a cloud login they'd be able to find under pressure. Couldn't imagine the horror of missing a game due to a dead battery or stolen phone.

I was reading it on Ticketmaster site, granted it’s the Uk site so might be different systems.

Can I use a screenshot of my ticket to enter an event?

No. Your mobile ticket includes leading-edge technology with fraud protection, so you won't be able to use screenshots or print-outs. You just show it on entry

Maybe there’s a distinction between e-tickets and ‘mobile’ tickets.

Anyways we’ll go with the screenshot option, sounds like it will work fine - thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Was at Kildare game pretty sure it was a screenshot I used and worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Lots of rain predicted for Sunday.")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Given our handling the last day I can't imagine its a positive

• Advertisement

Can only add to the "chaos" imo and might affect Kerry's play more than or own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That is a system that Ticketmaster are rolling out. But from what I have read (and I started some thread about it somewhere on Boards.ie myself), it is not in Ireland yet. I got in to gigs and sporting events recently with just the QR code on a whattsapp message. The "fraud detection" method that ticketmaster refer to is constantly changing code behind a specific QR code, so that if it was sent to you right now by whattsapp, you should be able to get in. But in a half hours time, the coding behind it will have changed, and a whattsapp scan of the same QR code will not work. At least, I think that's the way it is. I'm no IT whizz.

Jesus its early in the week for that kinda positivity

I follow a different cycle, mid week is usually my high point, it'll be downhill from here once I start to look at Kerry.

I had a good laugh at the recent Ah Ref podcast... Ref came out with a line, something along the lines of "ah Jesus, here I am talking myself into believing that we're going to fcuking win the game again"...

Enda seemed very confident that Clifford wouldn't start, not sure where he is getting ut out of, O'Connor clearly says hes been training with them since the munster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Never heard as many rumours flying around in the lead up to a game as I've heard this week. Injuries, falling outs, the whole lot. You'd be hoping a lot of it is just idle WhatsApp talk.

The forecast is poor enough for Sunday. I was fearing a fast game tbh as I think Kerry could get the run on us in those conditions, so even though I hate standing in the rain, I'll take anything that might keep the scores down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Is it ever any different. Heard stuff as well and I think there may be some basis for it but the problem is that it grows legs and becomes a lot bigger and blown out of proportion.

It will be interesting to see has Horan learned anything after the Kildare game. He was ruthless when he came in and he needs to do it again on the team selection.. big calls. I do think he has gone soft, so not sure if he will make them. If not we are doomed imo as we can't be carrying players who don't deliver properly. Hope ROD is back, we need him so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

As far as I can make out the source of the rumours about a starter being injured in an A v B game have come from that poisonous pr1ck on Twitter.

If that is indeed the source then I'd pay it the same heed as all his other tweets,I can't believe people are still believing anything he comes out with.

That's the only rumour I have heard so far and anyone that I have heard saying it have claimed its all over twitter!

Have heard every rumour going this week last I heard was Mullins pulling up in training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The prick on Twitter is unfortunately just repeating rumours that have been flying around all week. He doesn't have anything more substantial than the idle gossip that's been doing the rounds everywhere, he's just trying to dress it up like he has some sort of inside scoop that's more significant than just random pub talk. But I've heard different versions of basically the same stories he's talking about. First I heard it was that O'Donoghue was fit and ready to go, then it was that he was fit but basically Horan doesn't favour him, then it was that he was touch and go, and now it's that he's definitely out. You wouldn't know what to believe. For what it's worth, I did hear from someone reliable last week that he would play. Now, something may have happened since that has set him back, I'm not sure.

Had also heard the Mullin rumour, but the version going around earlier this week was that he hasn't been participating in training at all due to injury, now people are saying he got injured just recently in an AvB game. Again, who knows. Haven't heard anything truly reliable on that, so would take it with a pinch of salt. He has really struggled for fitness this year though, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Does anyone think we have a chance on Sunday??

Listened to hours of podcasts and radio this week and not sure what to think at this stage.

Most people are predicting a Kerry win but some are fairly tentative and make mention of Kerry being undercooked etc.

I think if we bring fire and thunder from the throw in we might rattle them and then who knows?

A slow, methodical, possession game with lateral hand-passing will end in tears

If you were to base any prediction on the form we have shown this year, no not a hope.

If you were to base it on the players we have and what they are capable of we definitely have a chance.

If we play like we did in the last 10 minutes against Kildare then I honestly don't think Kerry would be fit for us, but on the other hand I don't think we can play like that for longer than 10 minutes based on what we have seen so far this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'm fairly pessimistic about our chances, particularly given the form of some of our players combined with injuries. If we had a fully fit squad I'd be a lot more positive, but given we're missing a number of those who would be first choice starters through long term injury (Conroy, Plunkett, Harrison) as well as others who are at best in recovery (Cillian, Ro'D, Jordan Flynn) then I have to figure the bookies have it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think it can be distilled down to something very simple.

The Mayo backs are not good enough to keep the Kerry forwards at bay and the Mayo forwards are not good enough to win a shootout.

If Mayo have to rely on backs coming forward to score it only exacerbates the above.

I've been of this opinion since the one point loss to Kerry in Tralee.

Now we could talk about intangibles like Kerry not having a hard game yet etc but I still think it comes down to the above.

The only way Mayo can win is if they upset Kerry's new defensive system early on and build on that.

Kerry have basically gone with a blanket defense since Tally or whatever his name is arrived.

Attack the weaknesses in that and you could break Kerry.

But Mayo are not know for breaking blanket defenses.

I hope I'm wrong but at the same time I don't mind too much of they lost.

I'll look forward to a 2023 with a healthy full forward line with maybe a new manager and new ideas.

That 10mins was because oshea was called to the line,if we could start the team that finished the kildare game it would give us a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

So if O'Shea was on the pitch Mullin wouldn't have wriggled out of 3 tackles and the Kildare keeper wouldn't have botched 2 kickouts leading to points?

There's an argument for leaving O'Shea on the bench but that's way too simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Can't agree that Plunkett and Harrison are first choice starters. I'd have O'Hora ahead of both and he's been on the bench the last 2 games.

Conroy and ROD are the big 2 along with the form of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

In very simple words.... he is too slow in mind and body. He can still do a role but not 60 odd minutes of a game, maybe last 10 minutes when someone is running out of energy. Time for Flynn to show us what he is made of as he is the present and the future for us (currently). If AOS and Coen are not benched then forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Perhaps - but I think a lot will allude to the fact that we're operating from a makeshift back line and Harrison is one of the few on the panel who's natural place is in the back line. Plunkett might not be everyone's first choice (he probably wouldn't be mine if we had a full strength squad) but I'd rather have him available for selection than going around on crutches. O'Hora himself seems to be returning from injury by all accounts hence why he's only come off the bench in the last 2 games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement