Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

WSH

You are spot on about Dr. It is often amazing how people, who carry the can, when all around them are leaking, are often ignored. Make no mistake about it but Ryan played a huge part for Clare in that game, when other usually more prominent players were struggling. But like Darren O'Donovan in '18 against Cork, when he was the man who was here, there and everywhere putting out fires, when the Rebels were on top and before the subs came on, but yet his efforts was almost totally ignored, by so called analysts afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

This talk about Limerick not beating Clare over '70 mins' is absolutely silly stuff . They won that munster final and will get better and Clare have it all to do still. Clare played above themselves in that munster final and will struggle to reach the heights again. Yes Limerick are wary of Clare but we might not even get to play Limerick again if Kilkenny turn us over.

Yesterday burst the balloon abit yesterday and that is no bad thing in itself . They did well to steady the ship and they finished very strongly. Diarmuid Ryan scored 3 important points but by God he's as slow as a snail. And both him,McInerney and Hayes behind them need a lesson. They all want to play too much ball.. John Conlon for all the plaudits goes awol and offers zero protection for the fullbacks. Poor auld Cleary is usually on his own with 15 yards of space between him and his mates.

Thats the end of Tony Kelly on the frees . As we go deeper into the All Ireland series misses hurt more. You can't miss 3 in a row. And Duggan is only a 75% er aswell. But I'd leave Duggan on them if he starts . He holds up the ball but is no goal threat..ends up getting surrounded and drops the ball. He could do with a stint out on the wing I think just to give him room to breathe. While both himself and David Fitzgerald are big men it suits neither to get overly aggressive. They end up losing concentration and being narky with the ref. Limericks Flanagan and Hegarty are naturally aggressive. They thrive on it and play better. Fitzgerald and Duggan aren't the same types of men at all. Stick to being ball players. A vastly improved performance will be needed against the cats but as for meeting and beating Limerick again. It's pie in the sky going on yesterday's performance. We'd be pasted

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Aron Shanagher & Rory Hayes both playing for Wolfe Tones today, Aron scoring a hat trick. Aidan McCarthy playing with Inagh-Kilnamona today and scored too. Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yeah i heard mccarthy is not far away , cant really see him start against kilkenny but you never know he might feature ,

good that players are playing club games , last week i was at the football , the ,mayo crowed were raving about fergal boland who was on the bench , he had scored 7 points from play the week before in a club game and was not starting , he came on after 30 minutes and kicked 3 or 4 great scores from play

players from inter county should always be allowed play for the club no matter what time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

its a straw i am willing to clutch at at the moment , given just how ruthless limerick have been over the last 4 years especially , yeah the scary thing is limerick have yet to reach the heights of that fantastic all ireland performance last year against cork , its the hope that kills in sport i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah I agree, its good to see these players coming back. I think Aron Shanagher can be a potential match winner for us off the bench if he is back on form. He has made huge impacts off the bench for us in the past.

In many ways, I think it suits him more being an bench player than a starter. Last year, with him being the lone out ball for us, teams would zone in on him and make sure they were they were picking up the breaks, taking him out of the game. I think him coming as a sub takes the attention off him as the opposition mostly focuses on Peter Duggan. It was similar in 2018 with him coming in alongside John Conlon, Shanagher was able to get those 1v1 opportunities in around the house. He has a great paw and the size/athleticism to cause teams problems like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Key topics to fix ahead of the semi final:

• Free taker. Try TK again or start with Duggan ? I guess if Reidy is starting he can also take them. Realistically we wont get away with missing os many frees v Kilkenny.
    • Goal threat. We're not really creating many goal chances, this is an issue
    • Our full back line. Hayes or Nolan to start ? We coughed up three goals to Wexford, so you'd worry v Kilkenny.
    • Goalie. Not much we can do really, but I'd worry that Quilligan's confidence is low.

Good points, I suppose these would be my views:

• Freetaking: I think Duggan will take them. He is usually pretty good, but of course, its not ideal changing the freetaker at this time of the year. Duggan is the type of character that wouldn't feel pressure too much either, he comes across as quite a confident individual. In 2018 Duggan was shooting at about 85%, I'd probably take that in a fortnight. But there is no doubt, Kilkenny have an advantage, if not a match winning one.
    • Goal threat: Yeah it hasn't been there in the last two games, but with subs like Shanagher and Meehan to come on, so we have some potential dangerous in this department going into the last 10 minutes.
    • Full back line: Funnily enough, I think Lohan will start Hayes against Kilkenny. I think with Hayes these past 3 games, it's more concentration and focus that's leading to this drop in form. He is a class player when tuned in, we've seen that both this year and in past years for Clare. Hayes needs to show character now, and come back a better player. I think he will, but obviously that will be Lohan's call to make. With regards to the full back line defending in general, it looks exposed in the way there is alot of space in front. But it's the way we setup and play. John Conlon plays very much from the Ken McGrath school of centre back play, he pushes up on the centre forward and wants to dominate that position. Maybe Lohan may want John Conlon to drop off a bit to provide more cover to the full back line, but to be honest I don't see us changing tac now at this stage. I think it will be more the full back line will be working better on covering their men on the breaks and spoiling the ball out of danger.
    • Goalie: Nothing we can do at this stage. Just hope he doesn't let in another howler. He has been reasonably solid in 4 of the 6 matches, so 66% chance lol. Not good enough but all we can do is hope he doesn't cost us the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

But there is no doubt, Kilkenny have an advantage, if not a match winning one.

Yeah, right. How have KK an advantage. Should Clare give a W/O....

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sands81

I believe the statement is about the free taking advantage. If it is a game with lots of frees, TJ scores a high percentage of his. If we are changing between free takers, it could easily cost us 3-4 points which could cost Clare the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Do you think TK will not "recover" from last Saturdays game, regarding free taking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

TK isn't the best free taker for his club so I always struggle to figure out why he's on them for Clare, the biggest reason I can think of is when he's full forward it allows him get away from his marker and drift around the pitch. Duggan is a better free taker but he's not perfect either, he's prone to missing 1 or 2 scorable ones in every game.

How have Kilkenny an advantage? They have a better freetaker lad.

I would have Clare slight favourites for this game, like the bookies. But I think it’s a 50/50, one score game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

It's not unknown for Kelly to have an off day on frees. When he's on, he's fully on and he bounces back.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

ah come on the dogs in the street knew clare could struggle v wexford esp after the munster final. the way you're going on you'd swear clare were average , they're not! lohan has done a marvellous job.

I do agree with you on duggan though I as a limerick man would be more nervous if Rodgers was at 14 but duggan can't be dropped now cos he's a free taking option.

I'd expect ye to beat kk but there's no guarantees no different to us v galway

True on Kelly, that when he's "on" with the frees, he could land 100%. But you can't ignore that he missed some easy ones and was moved off them in the last two games now.

As noted, he doesn't take frees for the club and I don't think he did on the underage teams either. Whereas Duggan has generally always taken frees whatever team he's one. David Reid also a back-up option.

We even had David McInerney taking one long range free v Wexford, which went wide. Kilkenny have TJ Reid and Limerick have Gillane and Byrnes, who very rarely miss.

If Duggan wasn't needed for the frees, I think there might be talk about his place in the team. His markers have found a way to shackle him, and we did have Shanagher, Meehan and Rodgers all scoring off the bench the last day. I think Huw Lawlor would be well suited for Duggan, whereas he might struggle more against the likes of Meehan. Another option being to switch Shane O'Donnell with Duggan, but really I like how SOD is doing at half forward.

Ahead of the Wexford match I was wondering if Rodgers might be an option to start ahead of Galvin (Galvin being a great sub to bring in). But Galvin did score two massive points, and a time when we were really struggling.

And Shane Meehan's potential is just massive, plus his goal scoring ability (we struggle to score goals). The mind wanders back to the shock decision to start O'Donnell last minute in the 2013 All-Ireland, and the chaos it created

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Pat Fitz is retiring as Clare secretary in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Pat Fitz has announced he intends to retire from his position on July 18th

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1539632368897622016?t=SmzB5SLB3hYhIrPyPeSE4g&s=19

The clubs must stand United now after this bombshell announcement by Pat Fitz. No doubt there will be attempts by the hierarchy in Clare CB to appoint a “county board crony and stooge” loyal to the Fitzgeralds. Hope that Croke park will have a major role in appointing the new man or woman to the position.

Clubs have to take a stand here. This could be a very turbulent period for Clare and vital that clubs and their delegates get this appointment right for the greater good of Clare GAA.

Well, the most important question is: do we need to change the title of this thread ?

• Advertisement

I'd be happy if a totally external person took over. They just need to be a proper executive . No need for any GAA background whatsoever. They just need to be a capable professional person preferably not from Clare really.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

What's the Clare away kit look like? If they lose the coin toss they've to change kit

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Is there a coin toss to change jerseys?

Don't remember a Clare v Kilkenny game before where one team had to change colours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The Clare away kit is all blue,

But neither game would need Clare to change jerseys as they don't clash..

Very much agreed the narrative around the successor to the Don needs to be a fresh face and not a Fitz puppet..

Kilkenny play in in Yellow and Clare in Saffron. I think they do need to change. Cork and Galway did a coin toss last week

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Surely even as a Limerick man you've watched Clare and Kilkenny on TV at some stage over the years.....in any event what in sweet Jesus are you raving on about.

Read back the thread you simpleton.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cork and Galway often changed, 2 colours are very similar, I never remember Clare and Kilkenny changing, there is a huge difference between amber and saffron

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Amber and saffron are different shades first of all, half of Kk jersey is black, their shorts are white, Clare shorts are blue and good percentage of jersey is blue, these 2 county colours don't even remotely clash, this conversation is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Teams didn't change for league in 2021 don't think either has changed their kit drastically since.

on that note it was unusual Cork and Limerick wore their normal kits for the game on Easter Sunday but in the football encounter 2 weeks ago Limerick were in their away kit.

Advertisement