Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Opinions

Options
  • 13-06-2022 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for some opinions on the following list that I've put together. It's probably been about 15 years since I last built a pc. Mostly I'll just be using this for work and personal day to day , but I'd like to think that it'll get some gaming use at some stage if the kids ever give me back some free time, nothing that would require all the bells and whistles though. No clue about the storage or what brand is good or not, but I'd imagine 1TB would be more than enough....

GPU wise I was looking at a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 D6 12G  that I saw on jacob.de for €398

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ktnL78

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (€294.90 @ Alza) 

CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€238.90 @ Alza) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€77.83 @ Computeruniverse) 

Storage: ??

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (€169.90 @ Galaxus) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit (€126.89 @ Alternate) 

Total: €908.42

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-13 23:15 CEST+0200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RsgtW4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€214.99 @ Caseking)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A35 A-RGB CPU Cooler (€42.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (€109.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€65.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€84.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB Video Card (€449.00 @ Caseking)

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (€97.48 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€95.43 @ Computeruniverse)

Total: €1159.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-14 00:43 CEST+0200

You had some crazy prices in that initial list.

-----

AMD platform: R5-5600 (X or non-X) since TBH CPU won't matter as much in day-to-day. Good, quiet cooler in Arctic A35. B550 motherboard with USB-C internal header (no WiFi). Cheap, decent DDR4. 1Tb of good M.2 storage.

400 for a 2060 is madness when 3060's are coming down in price - spotted a Gigabyte model for 449. There's also the AMD RX 6700 which just released but isn't in wide circulation yet - would be a bit faster still.

be quiet 500DX is a great case - easy to build in, quiet fans, great airflow.

Didn't see the PSU you initially added so put in a known good unit.

Windows keys can be obtained for under 5 euro 😉

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The 500DX is pretty nice. And Customer Service is pretty nice. I melted the case cable with a bad PSU and they swapped it out for me no charge. Then chores ate it (I think it got binned) before I got around to putting it back in ;_;

With the filters on, I finally overwhelmed the case's cooling with a 6950 XT and it's 330+ W of beefy heat, but it was as peasy as taking off the magnetic filters. and now it's a breezeway in the case - and still quieter than a whisper with 7 BQ! fans in the build and even with the acrylic panel off.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

@anonymousjunkie please don't fall for Intel's marketing department BS. That's not a 10 core CPU. That's a 6 core CPU:

The 4 extra cores are Atom cores. They're just a bit faster than you phone's CPU. You really don't want games to run on those cores... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You've been asked a dozen times to give it a rest.

Until you provide any solid proof that Alder Lake (12th-gen)'s E-cores are detrimental to performance, please stop misinforming people asking for build advice.

"I think they Atom cores are bad" is not proof. That's fanboy nonsense.

You've been asked a dozen times to give it a rest.

Give what a rest? Saying that in Intel 12th gen CPUs, not all cores are alike? That i5-12600K's 10 cores are more like 6p + 4e cores?

E-cores are detrimental to performance

I never said such thing. I said that ecores are slower than pcores because that's a fact. And given that fact, whenever you mention that the i5-12600K's is a 10 core CPU without mentioning the details you're being a bit deceptive, no?

"I think they Atom cores are bad"

I don't know who you're quoting, but I don't think it's me. Ecores are slower than pcores, that's a fact. If you omit that fact you are doing the community a de-service don't you think? It wouldn't be the first person that comes here under the impression that an Intel 10 core CPU actually has 10 full fledged cores, all with identical performance. That happens to not be the case.

That's fanboy nonsense.

I don't think I'm a fanboy. I would hardly describe myself as a boy... xD But I am a men who happens to be fan of good engineering. I also loath marketing gimmicks. And that is exactly what the ecores are. Instead of wasting time with such nonsense, Intel should just drop the act, sign a contract with TSMC and arrange a 7nm production run of 12700KF's with 8c/16t. Now, that would be a piece of engineering that I would buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AMD will introduce something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

This is the same guy that said he wouldn't buy an 11400F because it's obsolete but then advocated for a 5600G, which is identical in performance and age. And in a 1K PC for a gamer no less.

He is either clueless and parroting what he reads elsewhere, or a troll, but either way best ignored.

Math is not your strong suit, I guess. Just so that you know: 835€ < 1000€.

Advertisement