Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

That's the way we do it, the problem is because people especially think there is not a problem it cannot be fixed.

Exactly there is no-one at the Airport RESPONSIBLE so its ok, we will continue as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no one responsible as it has absolutely nothing to do with them, something everyone else seems to be able to understand.

The airport are also not responsible for a flight not having any catering on it, or your bags being left on the aircraft, or anything else relating to ground handlers and agents. They do not provide or control those services.

This is not just the case in Dublin, it's the case in any airport in the world with more than a few flights a day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So from what you are saying if a plane stalled on the runway it would be left sitting untii swissport became available. GREAT.

• Advertisement

No, that's entirely different and completely unrelated. Swissport are not a maintenance firm and would not be handling a mechanically stranded aircraft

Your gripe is with the airline and the handler and I've no idea why you can't understand that. If it had happened at the other end of the flight (towbars are needed for pushback) it would have been the handlers issue there too - and that airport wouldn't have had any responsibility to intervene, and wouldn't have.

What on earth do you think the airport could have done? Go back in time and make Swissport (or Sky Handling who I think actually handle that airline and are more prone to issues too) order a spare towbar for that model of aircraft (they're different)? Decide to leave a different flight waiting? Tell them to let you down the slides so you break your leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

It's a bit more complicated than "it's not the DAA's fault". Unfortunately, everything at the airport (at most of the airports) is run on a shoestring, and if everything is going to schedule, it works - just about! Once you throw a spanner in the works, it goes to sh1t and theres no capacity to recover the situation. The entire airport ecosystem is also very intimately interconnected. Airlines/ handling companies/ airport authorities/ ATC services are not an island. If one spoke of the wheel is having issues, it will have knock on consequences - sometimes lasting days - for other cogs in the wheel.

So it's not as simple as saying it was the handling agent's fault your flight was delayed - if the previous aircraft that crew were supposed to be servicing is delayed, say because of inexcusably long security queues, everything else will be delayed, because obviously, they can only be in one place at the same time. There should be flex in the system - there is some, less than their was, but not enough to mitigate when every piece of the equation is having issues. The result is that the airport (along with many, many airports) is an omnishambles.

It's not like we weren't warned that the aviation industry couldn't be 'turned back on' after covid by the flick of a switch. The DAA were only expecting something like 80% of operations in the aftermath of covid and (mis)planned accordingly. Now we reap what we sow.

Have a contingency plan in place for a situation like this would be the way to go, in cannot believe that in any Airport in the world there is not a plan. I simply do not believe if the pushback trolly breaks down there isn't anyone who can intervene if only as goodwill gesture.

I asked you what you expected them to do, as in actions not the vague idea of a plan. Making plans for other, independent private companies doesn't actually get anything done

Other handlers may not ever handle that model of aircraft and hence won't have a towbar for it. If they do, do you expect them to delay their own customers to help someone else's? And again, that would be an issue for the handlers to work out themselves.

This is not the responsibility of the airport. Anywhere.

Everything that happens at an International Airport is the responcibility of the Government of the day, no-one seems to be in charge in Dublin.

Its nothing to do with Ireland.

• Advertisement

And yet this is exactly how it works at every airport larger than a small town shed everywhere in the world.

You need to get over the idea that it's somehow different (and worse) here.

This would always be an issue between the ground handler and the airline and always be left to them to resolve.

Suggestion the Government are responsible for a cheap handler leaving you waiting is about as ridiculous as the Web Summit guy asking the Taoiseach to fix his WiFi.

I'm done with this, you refuse to accept basic facts as such

I agree with you we are not in charge of out principle Airport. Suggesting that we allow cheap handler damage Irelands reputation and we don't care is crazy.

I do not know how it works at other Airports but it does not appear to be working in Dublin.

Have a nice sleep on the facts that the Airport is broken.

This is like saying its the government's fault your bus broke down on the motorway.

I never heard of a bus on a motorway for 3 hours, did you?

Its perfectly plausible if they have terrible coverage for such a problem. The fact remains, it would not be the government, nor any government body's responsibility to do a damn thing about it. It is for the bus company to fix.

So there is no-one responsible for Airport chaos is what you are saying, i know if there was a bus broken down on the M50 the Garday would take charge if the owner of the bus didn't. The bus owner would have to pay for the towing. very straightforward.

The bus and all the passengers would be left on the side of the road until the bus company sorted it out. The Guards aren't doing **** about that.

I'm giving up now, as this is an incredibly basic point that you are clearly wilfully misunderstanding to make some grossly incorrect argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is someone responsible for the flight delay, knowing who it is and why helps. In this case it is a private company, not DAA.

At this stage you are either trolling or unable to understand what everyone else on this thread is.

your as well give up, you said bus broke down on motorway. The Gardai can call a tow-truck and have vechicle towed to what is usually a compound. Now ypur talking about bus on side of road which is completely different. Thanks for input as it helps me make my point. Get it done.

Oh look over there ....

Go away out of that. This attitude seriously has to change. I couldn't give a **** if every major US airport is non functioning as it should.

Lets just keep our eyes on our own shambles. What you say might be true but it's nothing but pure deflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,120 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The comparison between the airport and the M50 is not really valid.

The M50 is a public road and anyone driving a car or any other vehicle can access it with no control on numbers.

The apron of the airport is completely under the control of the DAA.

Every plane, vehicle and all personnel are only there with permission of DAA.

Its to do with incompetence, the people here are weak when they hear the truth its trolling. Rubbish there is a proplem that first needs to be identfied and then fixed. I am aware of Dublin Airport problema for about a year. it seems if there is a manager they are not aware, the Minister said i read to day they working with management to fix. I think people posting here do not watch the news, it was on the news this evening. But there is no problem? its trolling.

No one is saying there aren’t problems, we are saying you are unable to differentiate between the problems which are within the control of DAA and those which are not. Using your M50 analogy, some problems are caused by ineptitude on the part of TII, some however are caused by driver error or poor planning on the driver’s part. Blaming TII for a car breaking down or the delay in a private tow truck getting there is absurd.

Its becoming clearer now what is happening, you are right i thought daa had control of all the Airport, i gather from here that they are in charge up to security and there is no hands-on management after this point. The fact that there was a boxing match a few weeks ago seems to confirm this as there was no-one there for that event. Someone needs to take responsibility for this carry on. The people here seem to think that no-one in charge is acceptable, i certainly do not. I also think that Dublin Airport cannot assist a plane that needs bacically a tow is unaccecptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Can you point out where I said it was one person?

Wonder why Airlines for America wrote to Eamon Ryan today...must be to thank him for sorting all the problems 🤔

TBF, you didn’t point out anything, you made a vague reference to it being “all over social media” about queues and people missing flights, yet there was nothing about it in the mainstream media who have been all over this story.

You planning on blaming DAA for the car rental and hotel costs also?

I am pointinhg out to people like you that think all is ok that we are being observed from outside, all of these things are related and DAA are very much part of what one of these articles about.

But all ok by your thinking.

• Advertisement

It's not "all ok" by my thinking. I just like to apportion blame where it actually belongs because demanding someone fix something that has nothing whatsoever to do what them is a gigantic and pointless waste of everyone's time. It also means for some bizarre reason (we can discount ignorance due to how many times you have been told) you appear to want to absolve the airlines and handling agents of all responsibility for their own mess.

Advertisement