Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome, Dublinlad. You’ve hit the nail on the head there with your comment about current fitness vs old PBs. You have a decent 5-mile time there all the same from this weekend so you have a good idea where you are at - that’s the time you should use for calculating current training paces - which may well change as you get through the programme.

In the meantime just keep the mileage building up slowly until marathon training proper gets underway.

Any thought on the plan? Boards plan should work well for you.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Thanks!

I've looked at the hal higdon plan and contemplating going by that. My main goal is to get some miles under the belt and I know it will all come back to me.

To be honest I'm not really worrying about getting a personal best every race, I'm more just getting out and enjoying the running.

Is there anywhere I can find the boards plan? Sorry if it's been mentioned before!

Really looking forward to going on this journey with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Decided to bite the bullet and step out of the (lurky) shadows to throw my hat in the ring. First of all, a big thanks to Lainey, Lambay & Murph_D for taking this on – I can see already from your responses what valued support and advice you provide.

I signed up, as with many others to complete my first ever marathon in 2020 and feel like the pandemic saved my blushes and allowed me the time to mentally prepare for the commitment, I realistically was not aware I needed to give. Two years on, and having spent much of last year cycling, I have turned my sights on running and feel like I am starting to really enjoy the training.

Below are my responses to the opening questions – looking forward to joining all the other novices on the journey to the start (and finish line).

·      Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I have only ever competed in a couple of 5km races which would have been several (>5) years ago at this stage. PB at the time was 19:17 over 5km. My recent PB was 20:36 over 5km (today – wanting to set a baseline to gauge what realistic target I should work towards).

·      Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

·      How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4 runs per week plus typically 1 short cycle on a rest day. I am currently following a Garmin plan for half marathon training which includes long runs, speed repeats, stride repeats, progressions runs etc. totalling approximately 35-40km per week. I find it really useful to have the structure prescribed for you and the guide in your ear is a great help.

I would have done a lot of cycling last year and the odd run but have been running since January and ramped up training to the above volumes for last 3 months.

Current long run distance of 20km @ 5:30 ish per km (pace).

·      What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I will be happy to get around the course and complete a successful training plan without injury.

Ideally, I would love to get sub 3:30 marathon but am not sure if this is realistic on my first attempt and without any long distance races under my belt (my half marathon target time for the Garmin plan is set to 1:32 which I am finding ok pace wise).

I am signed up for a half marathon in mid-July and then for the Dublin Half marathon also so hopefully this will give me the long-distance race experience I need.

·      How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Currently training 4 days per week.

Open to recommendations on plan to use (leaning towards Boards plan)

·      What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Sickness and/or injury would he my biggest fear. I could easily get knocked down with flu and take 2-3 weeks to recover, so that's a big worry.

No specific injuries to note but general awareness of the physical toll on the body training for a marathon can have.

·      Why are you running this marathon?

Since retiring from team sports, I haven’t had a set fitness goal to work towards so this seems like as good a goal as any. Plus, I've signed up and told enough people at this stage that I'm pot committed.

Welcome aboard Magellanic.

I think from reading what you have said, the boards plan would be right up your street. The first half marathon you have scheduled should easily be able to fall around the plan and swap it out for the long run that week.

Great that you have just ran a 5k and you can certainly work out your training paces from that. You seem to have a very similar profile to me when I took on this in 2019 with the added benefits of already having a base developed. That first half marathon will give you a great gauge of where you are. Jumping ahead a bit here, but I would suggest doing that with a controlled pace early on(easier said than done) and see if you can pick it up in the 2nd half as opposed to racing it full on. You will then have a fair idea what your capable of for the Dublin Half. If your garmin plans proves to be accurate, running a 1.32-1.34 approx half will give you a good chance of dipping under 3.30 once you commit to the plan.

Your current pacing for your long run looks fairly accurate too at present. If your ever feeling tired on these, lean on the side of caution and slow it up. Its all about getting your legs used to the distance and not the pace at this stage. Keep the cycling up too, even if its just for one day as it will compliment the running. I'm interested to follow you here on this.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very welcome to the thread Magellanic. I agree with what Lambay Island has said, nice current 5k time to work off & the half will also give a good indication as to where you are with current fitness. Good you have a target time in mind & hopefully with some sensible training this will be achievable but its also good to be flexible with your target time for your 1st marathon.

Very best of luck in your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So i've been humming and hawing for a while about doing the DCM this year - I've had an entry for 2020 and come very close to getting a refund a couple of times to be honest. Booked the hotel earlier today so no backing out now lol!

Since running the DCM in 2019 I've had a couple of health issues (a seemingly random auto-immune illness which led to various forms of inflammation and knocked me out of action for ~3 months, and a slightly nasty dose of Covid late last year that I feel I'm only getting over now properly) - the full gory details are available over on my dormant running blog :-)

I'm running on/off for almost 20 years and have done 6 marathons in that time and a bunch of shorter races too - if I'm being honest I enjoy shorter faster runs (10 miles is probably the sweet spot) but feel like I have unfinished business with the marathon distance so hoping that the community spirit on here might help deliver me to the start line in something approaching peak condition.

I took a quasi break from racing and proper training between ~2012 and ~2018 mainly due to having 2 small kids but have a bit more bandwidth on that front now I guess.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Marathon - 3:24 (DCM 2019)

Half Marathon - 1:29 (Limerick 2019)

10 Miles - 1:03 (Dungarvan 2012)

10K - 39:01 (Liscarroll 2018)

5K - 18:34 (TT 2021)

Haven't raced a lot lately due to lockdowns etc but ran 39:25 for 10K last summer and a similar time a few weeks ago for the 6 Mile in Limerick

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No....although I haven't ran more than 18K in a while so wouldn't rule it out at some point

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Only getting back into it after Covid - have been training away fairly ok but with no real structure or consistency.

Normally try to run 6K to 10K a three of times during the week with a longer run at the weekend.

Got a new bike late last year so plan on using that to keep cardio levels up and give my Achilles a break at least 1 day a week.

Do plenty of core work, some light weights and need to relaunch my weighted heel raises campaign

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I think the mythical/magical sub 3 hours is realistically beyond me - would need to make a few sacrifices around home and work that I'm not really willing to make....but who knows, maybe if I can avoid injury/illness and get to the line in decent shape if might be possible :-)

Realistically 3:15 is probably within my range

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

4-5 days should be ok I think - need to review the plans and open to any advice on same.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Getting injured and arriving half baked in October (again!) - I've embraced running slow-ish in the last couple of years (still have a tendency to train too hard/fast though) so that has helped somewhat; and following above mentioned illness I've radically overhauled my diet (gluten free, dairy free and meat free) which I'm hoping/suspecting may reduce my overall injury profile....it's improved my general health anyway. I've also noticed in the last 18 mths or so that I can train on consecutive days (3-4) no problem which most definitely wasn't an option in the past

Why are you running this marathon?

That's a tough question and one I'm sure I'll be asking myself a lot between now and October :-)

I feel like I've never done myself justice over this distance so want to give it a good lash

Thanks Lambay & Lainey.

I will go with the Boards plan so.

Good point re: controlled pace. I have noticed that starting out too quick can leave you lagging behind target pace later on (even in my 5km baseline I found myself slowing towards end). I assume there is reasonably solid guidance out there on how to pace certain distances so will check it out before first half marathon.

Seems like a good spread of novices signed up so far with some speedsters to set the standard for the rest of us. 😀

Hi Cartman - I suppose the obvious question is what you would hope to get out of a thread aimed at people running their first marathon? Obviously it's an open thread and anyone can contribute but I wonder would the likes of the Marathon Improvers Thread be a more obvious place for a runner with your experience. I know it hasn't been active for a while but you could certainly reactivate, and I'm sure plenty of experienced marathoners, myself included, would be willing to respond there.

I think that thread would be a better place for discussing the kind of issues and experiences that come to light after a few marathons. Why can't I convert my 10k/HM performances into a better marathon, for instance - a question your own history seems to be asking?

But it's up to you. Everyone is welcome of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers - I guess I still feel like a novice when it comes to running marathons 🤔

I'll have a close look at the plans, commit to one and stick with it....will have a look at the other thread you mentioned as well.

• Advertisement

Hello everyone😊

The time has ALMOST come to officially begin your training - as of Monday you are all in training for the Dublin City Marathon! If you use the next 18 weeks wisely and follow our advice, you will line up that morning feeling super prepared and ready to take on the challenge. Put in the training & commitment over the coming months and you will reap the rewards. Here's what the week starting the 27th holds for those following our plans:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|3m easy|3m easy|rest|6m lsr|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m easy (5 x100m strides)|3m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|8m lsr|2m rec

As you will see most of the running is at easy pace. This is a pace you should be able to hold a conversation at, you should feel relaxed and not out of breath in any way.

It might be useful to print off your chosen plan and stick it in a prominent place, on the fridge or wherever. Another useful tip is to keep a log of your training, this can be done either by creating one here online or simply by writing it down. It is good to see what pace you actually ran & compare it to what your were supposed to run, also it is a great way of seeing how you felt on that day before & after your run, the foods you eat, how you hydrate etc. I personally found it invaluable & it's amazing reading back over your progress.

The plans have a prescribed number of days for a reason - you will not be sufficiently prepared for the marathon by running 2-3 days a week. Run easy and run often!

For those doing the boards plan, strides feature this week. For those new to strides read below;

Strides are a running drill which will get you used to picking up the pace on tired legs without leaving your legs wrecked! In this case the strides prescribed should be 100m or 20-30 seconds long. We recommend you do the strides towards the end of your run preferably on a flat stretch of even road. These are not intended to induce fatigue, so allow for full recovery after each before attempting the next one. Jogging back to the start after each stride should allow sufficient recovery, but take longer if required. You can include these in the prescribed mileage or you can add them on as a little bit extra - either option is ok.

Each stride consists of 3 equal parts:

- controlled acceleration

- sustained speed of up to 90% of your max speed

- controlled deceleration

The important thing is to focus on form throughout; stay relaxed & run tall, watch that the shoulders aren’t being hunched/tensed up! Remember these are not a sprint, you should feel in control!

Best of luck to everyone for both the coming week and the 17 that will follow. Please remember that consistency & commitment is really important to get you to marathon day. Keep us updated on your progress, and as always, any questions - just ask! This is the start of an amazing journey - VERY BEST OF LUCK ALL😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Thanks @Laineyfrecks ! Looking forward to getting stuck in on Monday!

Did the Tallaght 5 Mile on Sunday. Was my best ever 5 mile - 37:32. First event like that since 2019 and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck with the mentoring folks, the class of 2022 are in very safe hands.

Good luck to all the novices, this wont be an easy journey but nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish line after your first marathon. Enjoy!!

Brilliant stuff, well done! How did you find the race itself? I would have liked to do that race as it's very local to me but I was away. It's great to get back racing after so long, I have enjoyed the buzz again myself.

Thanks @Laineyfrecks - looking forward to getting going!

I may stick with the half marathon plan I am on for next 2 weeks (ahead of the race). It doesn't seem too dissimilar so I assume it won't mess anything up when adapting to the Boards plan thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Hi everyone. And thanks to the mentors for setting this up. I haven't really been on here in years but figured this is a perfect time to reactivate.

I would probably best describe myself as a consistent occasional runner over the last 3 or 4 years. I might run a couple of times a week for a few months and then not really run at all for a few months. I am pretty consistent with the gym and typically do Crossfit style workouts 3 times every week. This is one of the big questions I have. Will I need to cut back on the gym if I'm to properly train for the marathon?

I ran a half marathon back in March and was pretty sore for a week after it. Really I shouldn't have expected any other outcome as I hadn't really done any training for it. The last 8 km was tough and my body was really feeling it. Following this I had to seriously consider the DCM and if I would enter at all. I decided I would and I set about researching different plans and staying injury free. I came across the Jeff Galloway run walk method. I'm wondering what are your thoughts on this? I started doing some long runs over the last few weeks and found that I felt great after it. I would run for 9 minutes 20 seconds, walk 40. I'm between sticking with the Jeff Galloway or going with the Boards plan.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 1:55, March 2022, Half marathon. 49:40, Dec 2021, 10kM 21.20, March 2020, 5KM
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No, but have chosen to lately following the Jeff Galloway run walk method
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. On a good week gym 3 times a week, running 2 or 3 times per week. Different distances, did a long run last weekend 21KM (run walk)
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I'll be very happy to finish the race. I would be very happy if I finish 4:30. Realistically it might be much slower than this. 4 hours would be the dream
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 5 or 6. Thinking the boards plan
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? injury
    • Why are you running this marathon? Bucket list

Thanks again. Looking forward to getting started with all of you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoy the training. Hope this is everyone (novices and improvers). MrSkinny, MisterJinx, Pinoy adventure, Masch8933, turfman1, Los Cafeteros, l3m0n5, Eatmydust, TheRef, onrail, Dublin334, Adiaga 2, AntrimGlens, masterK, Dublinlad1989, Magellanic, Cartman78, memaul.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Hi memaul, you are very welcome to the thread & yes I agree this is the perfect time for you to reactivate!

You have some similar times to myself when I joined the 2019 Novice thread. Good to see you are willing to be flexible with your finishing time as the marathon (especially your 1st) can be a very challenging but worthwhile distance. I don't know the Jeff Galloway method but maybe @Murph_D or @Lambay island have heard of it? I did the Boards plan myself so that's the one I would recommend, I found it very good especially if you are willing to commit to 5 or 6 days training.

In relation to your gym work the boards plan has some cross-training included, so your cross-fit classes would fall into that category. 1-2 classes a week would probably be ok, but try and keep one day per week as complete rest - no classes, no running. The plans do call for gentle cross-training, but I would think that as long as the intensity is something you're used to and is not off the charts, then you're ok. Maybe drop back to one class per week if you're feeling the tiredness as the mileage increases. I myself strength train twice a week at the moment but once my marathon training stats I will cut this back if necessary, remember we need to keep the main thing the main thing, committing to a marathon takes up a lot of time & effort so no point jeopardizing it for the sake of keeping up the gym work. Listen to your body as the plan goes on & the mileage & sessions increase.

One of the things that struck me is that pretty much everyone cited injury as their biggest fear entering this training block. True easy paced running will help to guard against injury. Remember, you'll be doing more weekly mileage than you've done before, if all of this is done at too fast a pace your body will become tired quickly and more susceptible to injury. Getting to know your foam roller really well will help no end in keeping niggles fRom becoming full blown injuries.

Very best of luck in your journey😊

Thanks very much Laineyfrecks.

I've heard of the Galloway method but don't know much about it, and I don't know anyone who has used it. Unless you are very committed to it I'd say you'd get better support here if you're using a method people are familiar with. While I think one of Galloway's main motivations for introducing walk breaks was to help runners avoid injury, I think keeping your easy and recovery runs truly easy will have the same effect - as well as being careful to warm up and cool down before any intense work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A nice increase in the amount of single runners as well as groups in the phoenix park this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A beautiful spot indeed with the added bonus of free breakfast afterwards in the hole in the wall pub.

Thanks Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Haven’t been very active on here, but have been reading everyone else’s posts!

Had a good week last week. Ran 50km in total and about 100km cycling.

Last weekend I did the Tallaght 5 mile in 38mins which I was pleased enough with. It took me longer to get out of the Square Car park afterwards!

Had a lovely long run yesterday of 20km with plenty of rolling hills. About 200 meters of total climbing over the 20km according to my watch/Strava.

Im probably on my own thinking this but I love running hilly routes.

Good work @turfman1 - tuning up nicely..

Remind me, are you doing the boards plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

I’m not no. A friend of mine is a coach and he did up a plan for me. He’s been looking after me since I started running so knows me pretty well.

So what's on your schedule this week? Always good to know what people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Could I join on here for some tips. I'm a run for exercise person usually but got roped into this by a friend.

Haven't ran many races in the last while but can run a 5k in around 27.5 and a 10k in 56mins.

Id ideally like to run the marathon in around 4.30 or a little less if possible but I'm worried about the mental pressure of it. I'm currently following the Irish life plan thats released on Facebook and am on week 3 of the beginners.

• Advertisement

Hi Sammy2012,

You are more than welcome to join.

I think in theory we all run for exercise. You have already began training so you are on the right track. You seemed to have answered most of the original questions. Just a couple of added ones from me. Before you started on week 1, were you doing any or many runs a week? What would your current easy pace be?

It can be daunting initially once you sign up. As the weeks go by and the runs get ticked off it starts to become 2nd nature. Support is important. Whether that comes from family or friends or some random people of the internet. It will all help in achieving the task of becoming a marathon runner. You have come to the right place as we will help where we can. The actual committing to training and choosing to go out to run even when there is sideways rain is the hard work. The Marathon itself, especially in Dublin with the crowds is simply the victory lap.

I was having a look at the plan you have started. Its not too distant from Hal Higdon novice one as listed in first post here. We can support you with either but if you wished too, you could easily switch to hal higdon. The reason I say that is that it can prove helpful as the weeks go by for folk to relate to similar runs at the same time etc. Best of luck

Advertisement