Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was wondering the same, was this that same poster. I’m fairly well paid and a few perks of my job but Christ I don’t need to go around announcing them publicly. Very much read like a rub salt in the wounds type post to me too. People are really struggling and by the grace of god it’s not one of us. You never know whats around the corner- redundancy, Ill health, major crisis or accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's not even worth boasting about, that's the gas thing about it. As a locum, he'll have to pay his own accountant, full pension contributions, medical insurance, income protection, holiday pay, life assurance etc.

Taking this into account, people working in IT or Finance, like many people on Boards, are just as well off if not more. Most don't need to go around boasting about it.

Speaking of inflation and the endless efforts our “government” go to to make it even worse, was the increase in carbon taxes passed on, in may I think it was planned for?

Their cronies in the media have this remarkable knack of burying bad news for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Costs for businesses reach an all time high in the UK. Difficult to see anything but inflation rising for a good while yet.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I don't know what your issue is with me. I don't particularly remember any interactions with you. My main point is they need to improve conditions and pay in the public sector if they don't want the HSE to collapse from staff running away from the shitshow it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Even compared to a few years ago, chicken quality has deteriorated.

Free range is rarely free range unless on a small scale. If it wasn't very dear, it's not really free range.

The taste and look of the meat is noticeable.

Agriculture and food production is so unvalued in modern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Wow, you sound like a real charmer. You've managed to insult anyone not shopping in Aldi/Lidl and throw Trump into the mix. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Trump derangement syndrome TDS is real.

500 euro for 2 cubic metres of concrete.

About 200 a year ago.

Anyone who has ever poured concrete knows how little 2 cubic metres is.

That's your recession barrelling down like a tonne of bricks.

And it's expected that cement Will go up 30% in July.

Building is going to hit a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How is it that concrete can increase by over 100% in that space of time? Its not like the inputs have become that much more expensive have they?

• Advertisement

Creating cement is energy intensive.

Increased Labour cost, diesel in delivery etc.

Who knows but its savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes but price of fuel has not increased by nearly as much to warrant a 100%+ increase in concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Can't get drivers either. Have heard of retired lads being contacted to come back. Even here deliveries that would have been guaranteed within a week are no more, truck wont go certain directions unless its full. Sales reps starting to reappear again but with prices the way they are people aren't budging so things will grind to a halt with expensive supplies still in the system that need shifting someone is going to have to take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,057 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm in office supplies, the price increases of paper products is absolutely bonkers. Bog standard copier paper we were buying wholesale for 11 a box in December is now tipping 19 euro a box and already we've been told it's going up again in July. We've never made anything on it 10-15% at best, but the cost of carrying it is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

A hell of a lot of energy is required to make concrete Timmy, that will be one of the biggest reasons for it going up as well as other elements that are used to make it.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Natural gas has and it is a big input.

Those selling it certainly don't want it at that price or close to it.

That's a killer for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I'm in final stages of building a house at the moment myself. Got a quote for range materials 2 months ago. Didnt move on it due to not being at the stage for needing it. (No way storing it on site)

It's gone up by over a 1000e since so inflation is hitting bad. (Its either that or a lot of gouging going on)

If this keeps going the country will be in a fine state.

Think the muppets in the dail are oblivious or just dont give a shite at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyone watching Prime Time last night will see we ain't seen nothing yet with regard to food price increases.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Inflation is caused by many factors, increased cost of energy, transportation, supply chain problems, there's not much governments can do except increase the use of solar, wind green energy but it takes time to do this. 3rd world country's are being hit hard by increased cost of food, bread, wheat, basic food products .

• Advertisement

Western Europe has been winding down, especially food and energy production for the bones of 20 years.

There has to be a balance, there was not, now we all pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting to note that places like spain are also having the same problems as here with no one willing to wait restaurant tables, hotels finding it impossible to get cleaning staff.. costs there rising significantly too..

looks like these private sector hospitality businesses (who may be stuck on pre-covid/ pre-inflation wages) will have to seriously raise hourly rates to attract workers ..

the problem is will the consumer be willing to pay for even more price rises on top of the huge increases in hotel/restaurant charges already seen..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and irelands response, lets remain exposed to international fossil fuel markets, by building more gas fired power stations, scary stuff!

...again, covid supports such as pup and ewss were removed too quickly, it was clearly obvious what was unfolding at the beginning of the year, removing these supports has deeply exposed large parts of our economies, many businesses simply cant step up to these pay demands and requirements, they simply wont survive, potentially causing wide scale unemployment problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

one could also argue perhaps that pup payments to many young part-time workers were far too widespread and generous creating an unrealistic sense of free money for nothing which is now hard to stop after 2 years - its very hard to go back to hard work in the hospitality sector when previously getting 350 a week or similar for free..

not sure if businesses here like hotels, car rentals, restaurants etc need extra supports they are absolutely gouging the consumer at the moment .. time to let successful companies thrive and unviable shell entities come to a natural conclusion at this stage in the day perhaps..

true, but the bulk of this money was also spent into the economy, are will at least eventually be, it has once again reopened the debates on polices such as a ubi. id argue, simply giving people money to spend actually just worked, as this is exactly what occurred, and in return it kept many businesses open, and even created some jobs a long the way! its also important to remember, theres effectively no such thing as free money, as these polices were funded by deficit spending, i.e. debt, as still is the case, all money is created by debt, i.e. its debt that sits on some ones books somewhere, either in the public or private domain, in this case, the public domain, i.e. its not free at all, as it must be serviced and repaid!

...or maybe we have spent so long suppressing labour markets, people have simply had enough!

...we must also start admitting to ourselves, many businesses only exist due to the protective measures in place, from state protection to institutional protections, and beyond, we really have to grow up and accept this reality, large corporations are potentially the most protected sectors on the planet, theres plenty of evidence to support this....

how far do we want to play this game of 'survival of the fittest', in regards businesses, do we keep doing so until we are no longer capable of providing ourselves with all of our most critical of needs!

...it really is time for us to grow up!

If the PUP payments were not there we would have had unemployment at rates we could not imagine, certainly well North of the 20% peak of we once saw.

The problem for the economy, across the western world has been 20 years of large borrowing and in the Eurozone, rock bottom interest rates and massive stimulus since 2008.

The Eurozone economy is still smaller than it was in 2008, despite negative interest rates and vast injections of money.

That's frankly disturbing.

its over regulated- these are a big strain on production

...again its important to note, most of our rapid growth in debt has actually come from the private sector, in the form of credit, this ultimately lead to the 08 crash, and our institutional response has been to further (re)inflate these markets, by implementing polices such as qe. the majority of this money hasnt actually made it into the economy of the majority, only reinflating asset markets, further concentrating their ownership, i.e. accelerating wealth inequalities etc, these approaches and processes are now starting to catastrophically fail

the only true solutions left on the table is wide scale deficit spending, but to make sure this goes towards making a direct difference to peoples lives, infrastructure spending etc etc etc, if we dont do this soon, we could all end up in serious trouble very quickly!

the truly disturbing bit of this is, this is clearly obvious, yet our political systems, institutions etc, dont seem to be able to act on this quickly enough, and a lot of the time, keep defaulting to the wrong solutions, that are never gonna work!

It can be, it's also trying to maintain a very high standard of living compared to even 20 years ago in a world where low cost economies can undercut.

• Advertisement

After the 2008 crash it was the ECB and States that took over spending borrowed money.

Corporations as well could borrow Via bonds bought by the ECB.

Deficit spending has a place but it has been done to death and the Western economy is in a very precarious position today.

Advertisement