Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I didn't check. I had the controller connected. But i did use it to navigate the stadia home page alright. I'll check again later.

I couldn't get X cloud working with the deck built in controller at all. I might have set it up wrong.

What I need to do is plug in a mouse and keyboard and a monitor so I can copy and paste settings and commands.

Today was a mental day so didn't have much time for fiddling about.

Finally had a quiet moment to sit down with it. I re-did the Xbox cloud gaming set up and got it working with the built in controller buttons. It's really good, on par with the console streaming experience.

I now have a Series X in my hands. Amazing. No more using my phone for it and Stadia. I might actually get cyberpunk played now. It's been sitting in my stadia library for months.

I see it can do remote play for PS5 via a user solution, but I'll prob leave that for another day.

Any recommendations for a screen protector. Already getting finger prints so it's only time before it gets mucky and some light scratches.

Getting to grips with it now. Getting easier to navigate around. Lots of potential being a PC. I could open chrome, download files, find them in my download folder. It seems simple but not having to mess around with USB drives and workarounds is great.

Microsoft put together a nice how to guide on setting up cloud gaming. Even give you art work to add to the non steam game tile so it's a nice green Xbox logo rather than a blank grey box now.

Great to see them supporting it.

• Advertisement

I'm spending more time setting this up than actually playing games, and loving every minute of it 🤣.

Today was spend adding art work to non steam apps like VLC and Spotify so I wouldn't have grey boxes in my library.

I've also remembered that it has chrome, added that as a non steam app too so it's handy to boot in game mode, and have been building a bookmark folder with all the stuff I want easy access to. Netflix, prime video, Disney plus, stadia etc.

Also stuck obs on it in case I want to record some gameplay.

Any other good ideas to set up?

At the risk of looking like I'm talking to myself in here 🤣

Here are some tips for anyone who gets a deck, as there are no instructions (but the Appature desk job game touches on some of this.

If you find you need the ESC or the TAB key in a game (or like me you get locked in full-screen mode on a browser) There are a lot of shortcuts that involve pressing the Steam button + another button.

Hold Steam + Left on the D-pad is ESC.

Hold Steam + Right on the D-pad is TAB.

Hold Steam + X opens the virtual keyboard.

Change button layout in-game. Only works when in a game, Press the Steam button (press don't hold it) then press right on the d-pad twice to bring up the controller layout so you can edit it. You can then do things like set the back buttons to any action, I like to use one as a handy left mouse click.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

When emulating DS or 3DS games, I set it so that they are full screen, and I flick between the two screens by pressing a back button. Dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AnnaMaria1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

12 days after ordering, today my Steam Deck was delivered. I had thought it would be delivered by last Friday.

• Advertisement

Congrats, there is a bit of a learning curve but it is great. Play Appature Desk Job first. It is fun and a good introduction.

Cheers, will do. Hopefully I'll have time to use it today or tomorrow.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Is that 12 days after the confirmation mail I assume. I'm still waiting since ordering day 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Same. It's quite frustrating and the longer it takes the more lukewarm to actually buying it I become.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I was late to order(August 6th). Says after q3 but at this stage I think I'll be lucky to get it by next Summer

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm due to get mine in Q3 this year, so sometime hopefully in the next 3 months.

I picked up this screen protector https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09X82S4XL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I must say it is good. Fits well around the edges and is almost flush with the face. So you don't notice it.

It has some antiglare built-in, sometimes this can really reduce the brightness but I didn't notice it here. And even with my big window right behind me shinning on the screen I can see everything (this would normally block the screen with a reflection)

Here it is installed

Yes, I received the confirmation email, paid the balance the same day, and 12 days later GLS delivered it. Just wanted to record it here that you won't necessarily receive your deck within a week. Set your expectations accordingly to avoid irritation.

Steam summer sale kicked off too. It's been years since I cared about one. Should have a few decent deals.

Any recommendations for games that work great on the deck. I picked up Disco Elisium a few days ago. And getting blade runner once the store settles down and I can log in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Due to get my steam deck in Q3 (July to Sep), would love if I got the invite to order next week.

Mostly I want to use it as a retro gaming hub.

If you want to run games from other game launchers (Ubisoft, GOG, Epic, Origin etc) you can use an application called Lutris.

Go into Desktop mode.

Click the "discover software" (It is in the bottom left and looks like a blue shopping bag).

Type in Lutris and you should find it and install it. Don't launch it.

Take this text and copy it. (highlight it and click the right pad to get a copy button)

flatpak install flathub org.gnome.Platform.Compat.i386 org.freedesktop.Platform.GL32.default org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default

Click the Application launcher in the bottom left (Steam deck logo - Blue dot with a white half a circle).

Click into System and Konsole

Press the Steam button and X to open the keyboard. The keyboard has a built in paste button in the bottom right. Press this to paste the text above and press R2.

Select the last option for each choice, for example the first one will say choose 0-6. Press 6 and press R2. Finish them all until the last one asks to enter y/n to install. Press y. Once complete close Konsole.

Run Lutris.

Select the game and clcik install. Follow the steps and it will install the game for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Nearly a year after reserving. FINALLY got to place my order for 256GB today. Can't wait to receive now 😎

Nice little bonus of 57 Steam Summer Sale trading cards too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Nice. I got pushed from q3 to after q3 so hoping I get it before haloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Finally got my purchase email last Thursday for the 512GB ordered 41minutes after pre-orders opened! Got the tracking details about 2 hours ago from GLS but not registering in their system yet which is expected.

how long can I expect delivery to take? Thanks lads👍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Based on this thread it’s usually a week (give or take a day) once it has shipped. So probably early next week.

Once picked up by GLS it enters a kind of black hole only to emerge 6 days later in Ireland and then delivery comes the next day.

But I've seen others mention two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Is it only an email to notify you? any notification on steam and if it's an email I'm afraid to miss it if it comes through the junk folder.

Also, can you buy it with the steam wallet?

• Advertisement

There’s a big, impossible to miss notification on Steam itself if I recall correctly.

Advertisement