Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

(don't say "ceiling", don't say "ceiling"...)

Ultimately Ruddock suffered from not being as good as POM and latterly not as good as Doris, as well as a LOT of ill-timed injuries. Thirty-odd caps and a couple of RWCs was not a bad return.

On Baird, you could equally you could point to the season JOD has just had and ask why he's not going to NZ as a 6/8 and Coombes is. There's just more of an upside with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He has the worst timing with injury of any player I've seen. He made Fitz look like Brett Favre by comparison. Anytime he was in a great vein of form, to where he was in the conversation to compete with Stander or POM ( who he regularly played off the park head to head) he'd get a knock.

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

I'd be more questioning what Baird has shown to be ahead of Deegan lately at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

My question is why he keeps getting picked for Ireland ahead of people who are now doing the job better and consistently. 

Again, I don't see how this is relevant to Leinster. Your issue seems to be more with Ireland, so maybe you'd be better off taking this up in the Ireland thread. If the Ireland coaches want to pick him for Irish squads, that's Ireland's problem and Leinster have no control over that.

I'm questioning why he's being picked at Ireland level and not simply being allowed to develop and manifest some of that potential before being picked at ireland level.

Again, surely this is for the Ireland thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Baird was picked ahead of Ruddock for the league semi final but pulled out after the warm up. That could be an indication of things to come. That Ruddock won’t make the best 23. Maybe not given how we select for those matches but you never know.

What we see and what coaches see are entirely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jenkins arriving and Molony's form and the play of Joe McCarthy man's that Baird can be utilized in the back row. I think Baird could be a success in the back row! I can see him playing at 8! He is athletic and has pace and is very good in the line out.

In saying that, will he be competing with Deegan and Ruddock? Another angle is Doris. Could Baird shift him? Personally, I would say that Baird has better hands than Doris. This potential move to the back row really is intriguing. There's a lad (Soroka) coming along that I think will be superb. Ruddock is 32? His best years are probably behind him. Either way, Leinster do have a glut of talent available. I would not be surprised to see Deegan make a claim for the 8 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Jackman said this week that Baird was "potentially not as simple to manage as other players"

Was he on about his injuries or other issues?

Obviously he has had a number of back issues this season which can be a tricky one to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nick McCarthy comes out as gay.

Fair play to him - he joins a small handful of Irish professional sportsmen to do so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, that about sums it up, really. We can talk till the cows come home about what players merit being in the team but we'll never know what happens in training. We have to assume Harry does brilliant stuff in training and Baird is impressing all around because what we see on the pitch is Ruddock and Deegan hitting their straps week in week out and not getting a shout. I always saw JOD as a 7 and with Connors and Leavy out of the picture he would have been there or thereabouts as backup to VDF, but Timoney is by all accounts just a bit better and deserving of a place in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

In fairness Timoney has had a brilliant season. Him and VDF have been so consistent. Timoney at 6 and VDF at 7 would do serious damage.

Timoney did have a brilliant season. So did JOD, so did Ruddock. Small margins make the difference. Though VDF has been on an entirely different level this season to all other backrows. So Timoney or JOD wouldn’t be getting a sniff there. Neither would Connors I’d imagine if he was fit.

I wonder sometimes does familiarity factor into it. We see Ruddock and Munster fans see JOD a lot more. As they are not in camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I always think this problem is leveraged for backrowers too. Every fan in the world thinks their backrow is class. I think it's because there is lot of visible stuff backrowers can get credit for, but not much invisible stuff they can be blamed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Independent view of timoney. Reading this it's pretty clear why he's ahead of JOD

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamLStandsUp/status/1537767379110965249

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wouldn't even have JOD in the conversation as an openside. He could get eaten alive there at international level. He's a good 6; I'd have him ahead of Ruddock.

Munster backrow selection policy has been questionable over the last decade, if you ask me. They have often selected for physicality at openside to make up for O'Mahony's lack of oomph. And in Stander they had an 8 with no real footballing nous. He really should have been a 6 only. With Coombes they're back to having a footballer at 8, so that's one problem solved. I think O'Mahony should stick to 7 and leave 6 to O'Donoghue, Wycherley and Hurley.

Well backrows are generally the most visible alright. As they usually probably have the most interventions in a game. Then again you have players like Heaslip, POM, Stander or to certain extent Conan. Players who aren’t that visible all the time but are still getting selected ahead of players who probably would be more visible. Which goes back to the point, what we see and what coaches look for are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

This old chestnut revisionism about Stander being some sort of meathead who does nothing but run at opposition... this had been disproved time and time again - he regularly passed more than his fellow backrow members.

There was a good article about him by Murray Kinsella around when he retired that gave the fuller picture of the player - https://www.the42.ie/cj-stander-ireland-career-5386933-Mar2021/

Took lineout ball, especially later in his career. 16 carries per game average. Won 28 turnovers in 50 tests and very rarely got turned over himself. Tackle rate of 92% in his international career. Passed on average 4 times a game across his 50 tests.

Take a look at this from that article - most people think this is a typical CJ carry, hard yards. (I've no doubt he was asked to do those hard yards because was probably one of the only players on the pitch with the engine who could go the full 80 at that sort of stuff but still get involved elsewhere).

Two phases later he's in open play, drawing the tackler and helping Sexton with a clean break.

Off the top of my head I remember a try in his later years with us where he was used as a latch off in an attacking lineout to put someone in. But yeah, all in all, 'no nous' as a footballer.

Neither Conan nor Doris have hit his consistent heights since, which is telling. Doris might yet, he'd want to start by learning how to hold and catch a ball, he's doing a lot of other good things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

What's the story with Connors, will he be back next season? Seems like someone who plays the game in a way that would destroy mortal bodies.

Think that's an overly generous assessment of his play. Conan and Doris are much more fluent in attack. Their lines of running, passing ability and vision are superior to Standers. That's one of the biggest differences between the newer generation of backrow players and his era. Standers first instinct was to take contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd wager a huge number of Stander's passes were pops off the base of the scrum to the 9. I don't want to say they aren't real passes but they aren't real passes. The chances of him putting someone into space or drawing a man and passing were infinitesimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I didn't say he hardly ever passed. I know his passing stats were actually quite high. The thing was everything he did was telegraphed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Stander was a product of what was asked of him.

Carry hard with guarantees of front foot ball in very heavy traffic and a low chance of getting turned over.

Few players in the world who could do that as well as CJ for 80 minutes week in week out. He'd get absolutely battered for 20 carries in the most abrasive tests and do it all again to the same high standard the very next week. Even the best carriers you can think of in recent years who would offer that tended to spend lengthy times out injured. Something CJ never was which is a phenomenal achievement in itself.

As with most differences of opinion in here. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

CJ had a decent passing game and an eye for an offload or releasing players into space. We saw glimpses of it when he was part of the early days of Farrells tenure.

But his biggest strength was undoubtedly his carrying and that's clearly what he prided himself on and that's what the various coaches revered about him. I think compared to top class backrows that he would right consider his peers - his overall passing game was not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The season only ended a couple of weeks ago and I'm losing my mind! I suppose baseball will hold me over until the new season.

Stander was of course a warrior. I think his ability to stay healthy and play weekly was his strength. He was a very good player and added a competitive strength to Munster and Ireland.

So..... counting the days until next season.

Ah lads, Stander was an excellent player and had a serious range of skills. He'd walk into the current Ireland team.

I always thought 6 was his best position so 6. Stander, 7. VDF, 8. Doris.

Could swap him and Doris. So to answer your question, Conan would lose out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

at number 8?

Doris, Coombes and Conan in his current form.

Rugby is a very simple game. if you get the defence moving backwards you make more time for your attacking patterns. Stander was practically a guarantee of this.

Conan is a much more skilled player than Stander ever was. Stander wouldn't start ahead of him, for the same reason he didn't start ahead of Heaslip.

• Advertisement

Would have been very interesting to see Stander play in this new system. From time to time he was used as I a link player. With good effect. Having additional options playing off him would be interesting. As it would be a difficult decision not to mark him. Towards the end, most teams just double teamed him. As they knew he was going to carry.

Advertisement