Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for homeowner new to Rent a Room scheme?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

I wouldn't recommend sharing with a couple. Can be awkward to be around when they're on good terms, and a nightmare when they're not!

I'd plan to get a cleaner in for a couple of hours every week or second week. Otherwise your head will be wrecked trying to organise a rota.

If going for nurses, shifts may be an issue. How soundproof is your house, and do you have blackout blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

A friend has let two rooms to builders on the rent a room scheme. They are there from Monday night to Friday morning, going home at the weekends. Seems lots of contractors can't find workers as the cost of travel and accommodation is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Medical students on short rotation may also be an option. They spend a lot of time at work, which is a good th8ng, and are pretty much guaranteed to go away atvyhe end of their rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 97805

Builders and medical students are good suggestions, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We had nurses in our house for a while. You'd think they'd be clean. Not our experience. Also shift work can mean noise at funny hours plus additional bills being run up.

• Advertisement

Thanks - shift work seems to be an issue alright. A few people have mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Single not couples. You will feel like a third wheel in your own home. Don’t forget noise from other rooms. Would you be happy sitting in your sitting room with the two cuddled up on the sofa?

Nurses: There would be a notice board for staff in the canteen that you could advertise there and you will see what sort of response you get. Set up a separate email address and do not give your number unless you get a throw away sim or you may be hounded.

Give the person a press in the kitchen that is theirs and a shelf in the fridge or if you have space a separate one. Agree times when each can use the kitchen. If you want them to clean up after themselves then make sure cleaning products are around. Agreed a rota or days when the washing machine can be used so you are stacking up loads of dirty laundry.

When you chat to the potential tenant let them chat away people cannot help themselves and will tell you their life story. You will soon weed out the bad ones. When they call over make sure you have someone around at witness. Maybe overkill but better to be safe than sorry.

If you don’t want smoking in the house them tell them same with other things. Shoes on carpets. Clean up after themselves etc. If they have friends stay over agree for how long. Don’t want hassle down the line. Make sure they do not have clothes drying in their room as there would be a risk of mold.

You don’t know the half of it. I could not get her to leave. She would leave the rent on the kitchen table(paying weekly) and she would do her best not to be there when I was around. I had to confront her and she then bad mouth me to her friends. Her friends then let her stay and within a few weeks they moved her on.

Thanks @tvjunki you make a lot of valid points. I'll set up an email address just for this purpose. Fingers crossed I don't end up having an experience like you. That would really stress me out. I have a friend who did Rent a Room for one semester - cost her the income from it to clean out the mould and filth that the student left behind. Her nerves were shattered.

Many years ago when we were looking to buy a btl we went to view a house that was rented to nurses. I would not let my husband in the bedrooms I was so shocked. Step in and out of clothes. The house was flithy. I think the tenants were hoping the landlord would be stuck with them. House was sold but not to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Have had very bad experience with nurses and filth. You would think they would at least obey the most basic hygiene rules.

Always found young men were the best tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I agree about the nurses. I lived with 4 nurses and surprisingly they are actually mankey. Sink would be left for the weekend with a massive congealed mess of food and solidified cheese and dirty dishes. Avoid them.

Thanks. Very surprised about the feedback on the nurses front. All noted, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I've been renting-a-room for many years.

My 2 cents

Avoid

• work from home. Bills will be through the roof, kitchen will be busy more often then not
    • students. They also spend a lot of time in the house, high bills + generally they go to bed very late and might keep you awake if you are a light sleeper
    • couples

Prefer

• those who are looking for short/mid term accommodation (3-6 months). It's better to change people around instead of having long term people
    • people working full time in office or other, as long as they are not home-based

Thanks. That all makes a lot of sense. I would have thought, though, that a long term person is handier than a short term. Is it not a hassle getting a new person and then getting them used to house rules, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I knew someone who took Portuguese pharmacists, excellent tenants and they went home as often as they could the agency that brought them over approached her as they promise them accommodation.

If it's a new build it's A-rated the cost of heating wont be an issue.

Thanks, good to know. Not a new build - terrible BER rating, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Getting a new person is always a hassle, setting up the add, replying to the emails, arranging for viewings and all, plus you need to adapt to a new person. it's defenitely the most annoying part of rentin-a-room

The problem with long term is that people eventually make the house their own, as they would. Things that were agreed upon moving in get forgotten over time, after 1-2 years it becomes difficult sometimes awkward to remind people of house rules and boundaries. With the expeption of probably a couple of people who were absolutely great flatmates, I always felt a sense of relief when someone eventually left :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 chattering

From Citizens Info: Currently, the total (gross) rent that you get, which includes any money that the tenant pays for food, utilities, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed €14,000 in the tax year (1 January to 31 December) 

Advertisement