Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

Beautiful, too bad about the changes though. I didn't like it and played with 3 members, none of which had good things to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Changes where? What was done ?

Sorry, I meant to click quote. My post was in relation to Narin and Portnoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

There's obviously no right and wrong in relation to your opinion of a course. But you're definitely wrong in relation to narin and portnoo!

I haven't played all that many top courses, but this is definitely my favourite of those I've played. Such fun to play.

To me, it's set up as an American tourist play thing. It has some silly stuff in there. Also, the bunker design didn't really account for the Donegal wind and sand gets blown all over the place making some parts of holes basically unplayable.

• Advertisement

I just didn't experience it that way. I didn't find it silly at all - I loved that par 3 over the water, followed by a driveable par 4 massively downhill and then a par 4 over a hill. Was it a short par 3 after that too? And I played terribly, so it wasn't a case of me loving the course because I played great.

It was very windy too and sand wasn't an issue for us. To me it was just interesting shots required all the way around. While at the same time you could lash a driver down some holes.

I joke about you being wrong obviously. We played Portsalon the next day which I think is generally regarded as a better course, but for me there was no comparison. It's interesting to hear how different people experience different courses. I wonder why? Is it to do with their own game, how they felt on the day, the views, the weather, the course they're used to, the tees they played off, how they played? There's probably loads of factors at play.

If I had played Portsalon first I think I'd have walked off thinking it was one of the best courses I've ever played. But instead I walked off it underwhelmed because of Narin the day before. And I played really well in Portsalon. Low 30 point round, but in a huge wind. From my current handicap with the new system I think it would have been 37 or so.

There were two groups of us those days and I was in the second group each time. The first day we had rapturous applause and cheering on the 18th green from the first group. I expected the same the second, but the lads were watching us like it was the Open and they didn't want to put us off. It turned out one of the lads had bladed a wedge through the 19th and hit the clubhouse 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shank Williams

Portnoo is class- a lot of the negative stuff to you here from the locals is back room politics (which may be justified) but the course itself is pure class

if it was in Kerry you wouldn’t have a look in at getting out but as it is they have 2 opens a week- one on a sat , sat one was 50 last year

Post edited by Shank Williams on

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dk1982

€65 now. Played it back in late April. Absolutely incredible place

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Enniscrone yesterday after work, bit of a trek but worth it, missed the heavy stuff and course was in lovely condition, greens could have been cut shorter to run faster is all, €45 after 4pm. Walking off the 18th I realised I didn't take any course photo! That engrossed! 3hr45 2ball stroll

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I havent played there in a couple of years or maybe more, which is shocking considering i live less than an hour away from it!!

Are they doing food in the clubhouse midweek?

• Advertisement

Dunno, there was a busload of Yanks already on the course when we got there (well ahead of us) and they were locking up when we finished around 9, never went into the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yes, the owner of Belleek Castle is now running the bar and restaurant so it's open every day

Played St Anne's today with a member. In great condition and the wind was blowing. Short track, but very enjoyable course. Tight in places, and you always look next door for comparison.

I was just looking at the Map there to see whats next door and zoomed out a little. Its ridiculous the amount of good courses in close proximity to each other.

Royal Dublin/Portmarnock/Portmarnock Links/The Island/St Annes/Corballis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Just saw Laytown Bettystown open week is on, booked it this Friday in the open singles, €30. Played it a few weeks ago in a team event and it was in great nick.

That's great value, some right good holes there

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Played Baltray yesterday evening with a friend who's a member for €40, exceptional value I thought. Course is in super condition as the East of Ireland was on there recently. Greens absolutely superb with the fescue up when just off the fairway which made driving a real challenge. Was +4 for the round so very happy with that. This is my 5th or 6th time playing Baltray and I always think it's one of the fairest links to play in Ireland. Good shots rewarded and bad shots punished as it should be, no blind shots to contend with either. A must for anyone who hasn't played and the signature 14th is an absolute beauty.

Only played it the once, with a member also. Its in my top 3. Its definitly an easier links and very easy to get a score going i found. I was +7 for my round and could have been much better.

I thought the greens were fantastic and some of the best I've ever played on. The 14th i would love another crack at as i pulled my tee shot and made a balls of it.

I think its fairly reasonable for a green fee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I only played it once, and played it on my own. There is one blind shot. Its the 10th hole I think, the green is completely hidden from view on the approach

Loved the course, loved the movement in the land

Not sure what’s classified as a blind shot, is the approach on the 3rd not a blind shot, hitting your second to the green (if long enough) or laying up for your third……

The 10th is blind if down the left or short, if down the right fairway or middle it’s grand.

• Advertisement

Couple of blind shots alright, just not as many as other Links

St Patricks on Saturday and Old Tom on Sunday. And a feed of pints inbetween. Can't wait!

Class, played the two of them a few weeks ago. St Patrick's is very very good, there was temporary greens on 5 and 14 so hopefully they are gone for you. Its a tough test but also very fair, fairways are quite wide most of the time. Old Tom is good also but not in the same league.

What was the damage for the 2 courses? we done the 3 for 195. Dont expect much food offerings in the clubhouse, there was just a few sandwiches when we played, and its just bars and crisps/drinks at St Patricks.

I don't know the cost. My friend booked it and I'm guessing will ask me for money at some point. Everyone else is staying there, so I'd say it's probably around the 65e per round.

I'm just staying one night, so am across the bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Played today. Very enjoyable (well, up until I shanked my way to a ding on 18).

Lots of changes since I was last there 6-7 years ago. Bunkering is much more prominent. New and quality tee boxes in places.

It’s proper links golf, with an interesting mix of bizarre and traditional holes. Would be a tough challenge when the wind blows.

Played too, greens are nice and fast and the rough has also been changed since last year, you need to be straight. Not a good day at the office. As a matter of interest, which holes did you find bizarre?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

The last is extremely quirky (and the tee box is proper hard hat territory).

Big dog leg left (around 14) is a conventional enough hole in retrospect but is strange to the eye.

The second hole and (maybe) the 5th are proper upside down saucers. Left myself just 60 yards into the latter but with no idea what was over the back I couldn’t help pulling it short.

I enjoyed the course. It’s missing a few ingredients but it’s a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Played the three courses at Rosapenna recently. There's something fundamentally not right with St. Patricks at the moment in that the fairways are very patchy and scuffy. The greens aren't great either. The 5th and 14th greens seemed to have been recently relaid. Grass growth seems to be poor everywhere. I hope they find a solution soon because it's a fantastic course. Played it last September and it was in better condition then.

I would hazard a guess they’re booked solid everyday, wear and tear and the grass doesn’t get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I would very much doubt that they're booked out every day. Not on the evidence of when we were there either last week or last year. Only 5-6 groups seemed to be on any of the courses at any time.

Advertisement