Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hedge safe spray

Options
  • 21-06-2022 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Can such a spray be got for newly planted griselina hedge its being taking over by chickweed and weeds and grass was wondering about a spray that would kill them and be safe for the new hedge does such a thing exist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

If griselina is not an evergreen hedge then you can spray it during winter or autumn when the leaves are dead , that way you kill the weeds without harming hedge as it is dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

No is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Roundup or Gallup will do the job. I've always used a mix of about 150 to 200ml of weedkiller per 15l knapsack. Never had an issue with the hedges being adversely affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I wouldn't spray around a new grissilinia hedge, it's very soft growth, different if it was hard bark solid wood type shrub/hedge.

I'm afraid pulling the bulk of it is the option and/or then put down cardboard around base to smother the rest, you will need to weigh down the carpet with something, chipped bark would do but weeds do germinate in that too although easy to pull if you get them young.

Is it chickweed or bindweed you mean? I fight a never ending battle with bindweed in a berberis hedge, not that easy pull as the thorns on berberis are brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What about applying diluted roundup with a paint roller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I have a Weedball roller for the past few years for treating areas such as the yard, paths, under hedges etc and I find it brilliant. Because you're not spraying there are no worries about drift onto other growth or getting it on yourself.

Advertisement