Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, just because of the coach ticket. It's a pain to make the pointless extra journey, but I would rather that than risk the ticket not making it to the box office as have seen reports of drivers not handing them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember a documentary about George Harrison (Prob the awesome BBC one). He was going on about The Travelling Wilburies. Quote was something like "Well, we were all equally credited on writing the songs. In my other band, that didn't happen".... My other band. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Intercept the driver then as soon as he arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭gilly1910

It is probably a sad indictment of the current state of music. My 17 year old daughter is going to Longitude in Marley Park the weekend after Glasto, so I decided recently that I would have a look at the lineup. I was stunned when I realised that I hadn't heard of the majority of the acts playing at Longitude, and I would have been someone that would have known his bands in the past. God love us all, for in 10 -20 years time big festivals will probably be a thing of the past, as the majority of artists will probably be one hit wonders, and all of the great bands that we grew up with will be no more.

Post edited by gilly1910 on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Chemical Bros playing arcadia Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"I don't recognize modern music so music is dead"

What a new and original thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Of course The Rolling Stones were mere teenagers when they appeared? Or The Who, and Macartney wasn't exactly young last time he headlined, or Neil Young, or Bowie or Rod Stewart... All born in the '40's I belive and all headlined in the last 15 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Go easy on yourself, Longitude is a niche hip hop/rap festival now with many acts firmly "Sarf Laandaan" focused. I only know them because I listen to BBC Radio 1. You won't hear most of them on Irish radio.

Why so when 2/3 of the headliners for the biggest festival on the planet are pretty young, one a mere twenty years of age? With youth, as always, scattered across the festival. Unless our planet has burned to a crisp or armageddon has arrived there will still be festivals and gatherings as there have been since time immemorial.

Nevermind. lol

Wouldn't worry about it. I've been going for years and rarely have any idea of who is playing in advance of the festival, or even who is playing when I'm stood watching them. Still have an awesome time and keep going back.

It's really not about the music, or "who is playing" at Glastonbury. It's about going, seeing something new, doing something different and drinking the occasional cider.

point taken, and i saw Macca in the RDS 20 years back and even then he was getting on a bit......but its getting borderline ridiculous now

*just hope they have a Defibrillation on stand by😶

It really does seem to be not an urban myth that the same people get to go year after year yet thousands registered for many years constantly lose out. Although as you said it's not about the music at all as habitual attendees will happily tell you, I have to say the Glasto green eyed monster in me at a distance seeing the line up this year has me decidedly less in it's grip. I'll be at the Eagles, Stones and St Vincent back to back this weekend - a blessing after the last two years.

It's not a myth, I agree. But the people who get tickets regularly are the ones who put in the most effort. That's not to say that people who put in the effort always get tickets. Many here can feel that pain. But what I mean is, whenever I say I got tickets, people always go. "Oh how do you always get tickets? It's on my bucket list". I reply with "OK. So register here with a photo. Ideally see if you can get a few friends interested. Arrange to have as many people as possible trying for you. Ideally 2 or 3 people for each person in your group. Make sure they are all ready to go at Wednesday afternoon for coach/festival tickets or Sunday for festival tickets. Make sure everyone has everyone's details. Ideally have a WhatsApp chat going or something. Try with laptop, phone browser and other methods." I try to help these people and 99999 times or of 100000 they don't even register or go."9am Sunday morning to try for tickets? Ah....." If someone can't do that then what chance do they have? If they cannot get up at 9 am on Sunday with a few friends, then how are they going to survive sleeping in a tent without shower and trek miles every day and cr4p in a long drop toilet... For days. And then potentially fly home still in such a state? Glastonbury (especially your first) is not for the faint-hearted.

I know there are people who bust their balls trying to get them and don't get through and I genuinely feel for them. But effort is required (I am not for one moment saying you are not putting in the effort.. Just explaining my experience).

In fairness though. BBC DO do great coverage of the 3 or 4 main stages and it's a lot more comfortable (but I wouldn't miss it for the world).

Many here would be more than happy to offer advice and tips.. Everyone has their own methods but usually it boils down to numbers.

Really appreciate the info - thank you. I actually did get through to the coach sale on the Wednesday about four years ago, but there was a fault on the webpage itself not reading info on the drop-down menus correctly and I lost out. I guess my point to the earlier poster who said he doesn't care about the line up is that if I had gotten the ticket for this year's festival, but knew the line up versus the Eagles and the Stones on their last hurrah, I'd still choose the latter. I'm not being deliberately curmudgeonly about new acts by the way, but I'm not sure any of them are strong enough to invoke the soul crushing disappointment of previous years (and yes I know it's not about the music).

I've been very lucky with getting tickets each year, and definitely haven't been successful at the first attempt each time. Totally failed in 2019 and technically also in 2020.

Most times when I have got a ticket in the main original sale it has been me rather than someone else in the group who got through, but other times I've got tickets on secret resales in the days after the main sale and just being persistent with keeping an eye on the ticket site, watching Efests for clues on website issues or work arounds that may be needed. Within my wider group who tend to try for tickets each time I'm one of the few who have their name on the shared list every year, so I'm the one whose usually most successful of the group as I'm the most focused on the task at hand.

• Advertisement

If anyone gets lost, I'll be under the big tree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Isn’t this your first glasto? You’ll be lost for the whole week

Macca in the RDS 12 years ago.

BB King played Glasto at 85, the Buena Vista Social Club even older. Herbie Hancock is 82. Diana Ross is 78. Age is utterly irrelevant if they can perform. Judge them after this weekend.

Excellent summary, it really is a matter of preparation. Doesn’t guarantee you tickets though. This the first success for our lot since 2014.

I’d also welcome a system where I’d not be allowed to apply for 2023 and 2024 after going this year. Gives more people a chance and few would begrudge others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I'd go along with that system, seems fair. Plus it gives you two years to get the funds together!

I've asked before but i'll ask again. How does one get around the credit card only method of payment? Most people i know don't have credit cards only debit. The virtual banks (Revolut/Wise/N26) are only debit cards too so even if you use your UK account with them you still can't buy Glastonbury tickets.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Chemical Brothers have postponed their Musgrave Park gig tomorrow till 2023 due to illness, Guessing that's them out for Glasto on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭crl84

That article is from yesterday, and their Cork gig is a full live gig. Glsatonbury is just a DJ set at Arcadia, so if one of them is negative, they can still do it on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Chemical brothers have cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Anyone else watching on BBC? Got a bloody covid positive this morning..that rules me out of block party festival this weekend sadly but going to try and sink my teeth into glasto to make up for it..looks so so good..did it in 2017. Glorious weather that year

Advertisement