Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Satellite is looking promising last hour or so for things to brighten up in the midlands and east at least. Fingers crossed, light drizzle stopped here now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cripes looked at predictive rainfall sequence on sat24 and Summer ends Thursday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Summer ended last September 😁

Still waiting for this year to kick off. We've a south facing garden and the kitchen is usually like a sauna this time of year but that hasn't been a problem this year. Hopefully we get some settled weather in July.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

As with many a 'cloud burn off' days, the cloud is now thickening across large parts of the country on the last few frames of satellite.

I don't know what it is about this island but expecting cloud burn off must be one of the most arduous things 😅.

An eternity of waiting for it to finally clear up at 7pm or something. Is it purely topographical or why is burn off so unreliable here compared to other landmasses?

Hopefully an early afternoon blip and enough areas will get something decent out of the late afternoon and early evening. Lots of rain on the way possible and it's been a pretty dry year in parts so might as well top up the levels before my anticipated mid July heatwave of all heatwaves arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

we have had lots of settled weather just not very sunny!

Very close and warm in south Carlow today.

as for travelling abroad for warmth - it won’t be long before people are coming here to escape it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Such a dissapointing day with so much cloud around. This cloud layer is just refusing to break up and is limiting todays temperature potential. Even Scotland is doing better than us this week with the sunshine and temperatures.

From Friday we will entering a very unsettled period which could easily end up in being the wettest week we will experience in more than a year. There is a chance over 100mm of rain could fall in many places between this Friday and Friday of next week if the models verify. Tomorrow will be the last day of summer for at least a week so make the most of lawnmower Thursday.

Let's hope the charts improve during the course of next week, looking at the charts right now and it's a deluge from start to finish from Friday morning all through next week. with heavy showers or prolonged spells of rain on a daily basis. Maybe in a few days time the charts will start to look less unsettled. July better offer a serious improvement, but this unsettled spell may last into the first week of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I know eff all about charts and forecasting, but find your posts very insightful and helpful. What would you say is the probability of this playing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Just in time for the school holidays this Friday afternoon 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Just in time for the summer school holidays this Friday afternoon 😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Done a very quick total on Yr.no website. For the week from Friday they predict

Cork 81mm

Galway 54mm

Sligo 42mm

Dublin 30mm

I'm sure some coastal areas of the South and West will get 100mm in that scenario.

Could downgrade or upgrade

For past 3 days their total for Sligo for this period has been 70mm and 30mm and today 42mm

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

The weekend and next week looks pretty bleak. I was going to head into Croker on Saturday to watch the All Ireland Quarter Finals but I might stick to the couch instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's very cloudy out there today but very humid with no breeze.

Nearly has a tropical feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

I can nearly deal with the weather today. Its not raining! Its not too windy! Its not that cold - more like summer - It might be cloudy, but at least it is pleasant outside.

As for the lack of rainfall, no doubt, once it rains, it will continue to rain for months and no doubt that come August, farmers will be giving out about saturated fields. rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its gone from overcast to clear blue skies in the past hour here in Castlebar. Clearing from west to east so hopefully some sun for all before it sets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The last time we had very grim charts was about 2 weeks ago with very similar setup to what the charts are showing for the next 10 days and it didn't happen. The past 10 days turned out much better than what the charts were originally showing during the 1st week of June so there is hope that the models are overcooking the grim outlook. This is what I am hoping. The most likely scenario is we are heading into an unsettled setup for the next 7 to 10 days but here's hoping most of us don't see 100mm of rainfall within the next week.

Already the charts are improving for eastern and south-eastern England and not as grim as they were yesterday. We could do with this luck fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know we're not to get rain till Friday but surely my plants be alright till then won't they, only watered them once since Sunday

Sprinkle them with some water and they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The sun is trying to get though here now but I don't think it will amount to much. Very warm considerng the amount of cloud currently 21C, but feels more like 23 or 24C. It's extremely sticky and feels like one of those days in Spain where it's extremely cloudy but very warm.

Tomorrow will be a final day of warm weather before the big change on Friday. I'm feeling less optimistic about prolonged sunny spells tomorrow but hopefully the sun will shine a bit more tomorrow. The charts are still showing 21 to 24C over a large part of the country for tomorrow but I think this will very much depend on sunshine breaking through.

The Arpege at least is showing more chances of sun tomorrow but we shall see.

• Advertisement

Warmer here today in the SE than yesterday

Hopefully a Welsh thunderstorm import in the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 31,920 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm flying in from Abu Dhabi and going straight from the airport to the concert. 48 degrees to lord knows what. I'll die!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

The only thing you’ll be getting is Atlantic blustery showers with the odd clap of thunder if you’re lucky 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Nights drawing in .....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wow, just looking at the forecast ahead for the next week. Depressing. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The flora in the country especially in the south and east must be very excited with the upcoming forecast!!!

Gorgeous evening and 19c on the Wicklow Wexford border

We truly live in a beautiful country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

The latest sunset is 25th June. So the nights are still getting a fraction longer 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

The earliest sunrise is around 17th June. Latest sunset is 25th.

The solstice doesn't equate to earliest and latest sunrise and sunset.

Always surprised so many people on the weather forum don't know (mind you I didn't myself until around 10 years ago I guess).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Hopefully we will have one week of crap weather and then we can look forward to some good weather.

Am planning to binge on netflix this weekend as any outdoor activity seems out!

Advertisement