Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

TLI on behalf of SIRO started surveying poles in Ballinasloe last week and barcoding them, so any day now......🤞🤞😂😂

It'll be a long long time before anything happens but it might kick Eir into action at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Any many years later, I find a letter from Siro in my letterbox once again & seems they will be cabling the terrace of houses where I live in Shandon Cork n May. Maybe this time it will really happen as would be bad form to tease me a second time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mobirl

Does anyone know the IP addresses for Vodafone TV services? I was going to give this a go GitHub - peacey/udm-telus: A tutorial on how to get TELUS Optik TV working with the UDM and Ubiquiti APs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mobirl

@cunnijo yes it white huawei unit installed about a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I met the lads from SIRO 18 months or 2 years ago surveying in Longford. No sign of anything since until today, when they started installing the ducting. Said Longford should be going love in 3 months.

Nor sure if I believe the 3 months part, but very positive to see the ducting happening. Fibre installed pretty soon after that according to the lads too. Let's go.

Eir installed the ducting and blew the fibre in July last year, but still can't order it, so desperate for SIRO to be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I currently have gigabit SIRO with Vodafone. I got it in 2018 so I have a 200Mb upload. I'll be moving house soon, does anyone know if I'll keep the 200 upload in the new house or will I be downgraded to 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Is SIRO available at your new location? If so then in theory you should keep the 200mb upload, as you are not changing provider or conract,

That could be a bigger problem. It's a new estate (new build) and there are SIRO manhole covers in there so it should be available. But the Eircode isn't being recognised, at least not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Even though there may be SIRO manholes in the estate there is no guarantee that the fiber is in place. Have you spoke with anyone who is already living there, as they may be able to indicate if the service is available or not. Otherwise you will have to contact Vodafone, as they should be able to tell you of availability and if it is not should be able to give you an idea of when. Hopefully this will be in place before your planned move so that you can transfer your existing account. Otherwise you may have to cancel your current service and re apply at the new address when it is. If this is the case you possibly will lose the 200mb upload speeds unfortunately, as these upload speeds are part of legacy plans, which are no longer available as of July 2021. New customers only get 100mb with the 1000mb packages. This applies to all providers. Again discuss with Vodafone and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thanatus

Spotted a chap wearing a Gaeltec Siro vest out (what I can only assume is surveying) taking photos of the Poles and the pole numbers in the Perrystown / Walkinstown area about a week or so ago. Might be nothing, might be something. They did have Walkinstown as a planned area in previous rollout maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 RedSteve

I’ve had sky broadband for the last year but the price has gone up to €60 now after the 12 months. Of the companies that use the Siro network, is there a “best”? Like who’s router is best etc? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I don't have a specific answer to this, and in general "best" is a debatable term so it's hard to say, but what I will say is if you are happy with Sky and just want to change for a better price then you can just ring them up and tell them you are going to switch to Vodafone because they have a better offer. I pretty much guarantee they will give you a better offer straight away and you don't have to deal with switching providers and potential service disruption. I've done this every year with Vodafone and always get an great discount. Just did it last month in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tmcdlk

Hi all,

Looking to get SIRO installed on a new build. The house is on a private laneway with two existing houses next door. Both existing houses have SIRO. I've been told by SIRO that its available but Vodafone are saying it isn't. Digiweb have said SIRO is in the area but there aren't any spare connection ports available. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks

Is anyone else having issues with their SIRO Vodafone service today? I'm in Drogheda getting about 650 down but the upload is in single digits, between 1 and 6. I've rebooted everything with no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Thanks. Gave Vodafone a call, they confirmed a fault in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Ok maybe I'm stupid but anyway, I'm with Virgin and it's gone so up much I priced other providers. Vodafone were coming up the best offer so went ahead and ordered. Today an engineer calls to my apartment and says he'll have to drill a couple of holes and run a cable inside. Also says I'll have to install the router somewhere else as to have it where my current one is will mean more holes and wires running. I just assumed it was going to be put where my existing router was.

I have a few devices connected by wire to my current router too which I'd ideally want, rather than connect them wirelessly. I haven't contacted my landlord either about drilling holes and installing cables.

I'm not sure what to do now, whether to cancel the installation and go back to virgin to see if they can improve on price? This definitely should have all been explained over the phone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

You did not say what service you ordered from Vodafone or what service you have from Virgin so I'll make some assumptions.

Virgin and Vodafone use different technologies and different infrastructure.

Up to recently the Virgin service was almost always delivered on a co-axial cable connected to a Virgin trunk cable.

Vodafone uses one of three infrastructures and will be supplied from a non-Virgin network in one of these ways

1. ESB/SIRO with fibre connected to the ESB/Fibre network
    2. eir Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) with copper from the eir copper distribution cabinet (up to 100Mb per second)
    3. eir Fibre To The Home (FTTH) with fibre from the eir fibre distribution device (up to 1,000 Mb per second)

Whether it is Vodafone option 1, 2 or 3, a new copper or fibre connection is needed and will be routed from the SIRO or eir service point in the apartment block and as your installer said a route different to the Virgin route. As you suggest it might be less disruptive to stay with Virgin.

Thanks, the product I ordered was number 1 but I just assumed it used the existing infrastructure in the apartment. I'm also in a ground floor mid terrace style situation and the engineer said they cannot run a cable across any other property so all cabling would have to be done inside.

Looks like I'll have to stick with Virgin so. What products do I need to avoid with them to avoid the same situation, if I want to try to get an upgrade?

Just wish it was explained better by Vodafone what might be involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Virgin are making a push into fibre, both on their own infrastructure and as an RSP with Siro:

The timeline mentioned is 3 years (from early 2022), but it looks to be the case that they'll be upgrading most if not all of their cable customers to full FTTH.

So maybe stick with Virgin, and they will probably offer you a full FTTH package (keeping your Virgin TV package, etc.) in the medium term.

I know this doesn't solve the price problem though.....

Thanks, it's a pity they are so much more expensive but I'll get on the phone to them to see what they can offer, hate that $hite. Also it was a bit of a nightmare even ordering the Vodafone one so I imagine cancelling will be another one. Trying to save a few quid is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Almost exactly one year later, they're laying the fibre underground/replacing manhole covers. Looking forward to eventually ditching the 12mb down/800k up connection whenever that may be...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I use wesnet as I prefer to use the local company. Fantastic service and customer support and they use the fritzbox modem and its not locked down at all. Might not be available in your area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

😆😆😆, Best laugh I've had in a while, what a load of horseshyte in those articles 😆😆, VM available to 99% of the country... Yea sure lads yeah!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sign up as a new customer, just change your name slightly and when the new gear arrives ring for an immediate cancellation telling them you're sorted with a new provider. Job done for another year👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I've just got the keys for a new house. The new estate is enabled for SIRO, and houses that have been built previously within the estate have had SIRO available as soon as the owner got the keys. When I check the SIRO website, it is stating that my address isn't set up for SIRO yet. Has anybody seen this before? Is this just a case of somebody hasn't ticked the box somewhere marking it as available in the house? I need to order broadband soon, I'm currently with Virgin in my rental (and I'm out of contract), so was thinking of trying SIRO with Vodafone or Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Try contacting one of the ISPs and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Tried ringing one of them, and it was a complete waste of time. They didn’t listen to what I explained at all, they just stuck my Eircode into their address checker (which is on their website) and told me I couldn’t get it

• Advertisement

Deleted

Advertisement