Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here's a suggestion. The objections of posters to multiculturalism are repeated throughout the thread.. and no, they're not the reasons you listed above. Perhaps deal with those criticisms, countering those arguments used

Never going to happen. The pro side has to reduce the anti side's argument to "dey turk our jerbs!" and accusations of racism(which leaves them in a bit of a bind regarding Ukrainians). It's easy to dismiss arguments from that position and has become the standard tactic. The mind conveniently shuts down. While deflecting all over the place of course, with a sideorder of insult when that thread wears thin as it inevitably does because it starts out thinner than a Parisien runway model. QV the above posters continuing obsession with childless men that he finds apparently near impossible to leave out.

It's all quite simply because they've just accepted their mantras as facts secondhand with little critical thinking involved and because of that they know they can't argue the actual points because they've not arrived at them by critical thinking and argument in the first place. And vanishingly few have even tried. One Eyed Jack is one of the few that has tried and fair play. He hasn't run to cheap tactics either. Now his argument does largely come down to charity and it's The Right Thing To Do and fair enough too, even if I broadly disagree with him.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The pro side has to reduce the anti side's argument to "dey turk our jerbs!" and accusations of racism(which leaves them in a bit of a bind regarding Ukrainians).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

strange post.

And meanwhile with this unprecedented influx of people the country and its citizens are donald ducked..great :)

racism is discrimination… every country in the world practically discriminates as to who it may allow in, who they will allow settle and what assistance they give to whom. So everyone and everywhere is racist, unless borders are done away with… and everything is given to everyone…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You speak of "good faith" and the changing of opinions in the "face of strong evidence", yet you have consistently failed to provide either in both this and your last incarnation and when evidence against multiculturalism has been demonstrated you either completely ignore it and/or move the goalposts with such rapidity it would make a groundskeeper dizzy and then your continued musings about the fecundity of male posters. TBH I'm not sure you quite understand the concepts of "good faith" or "strong evidence", because you've certainly not demonstrated either to any great degree and are continuing on in that vein.

Nope. Try again. We've seen this all before too. Another Hail Mary attempt hoping that new posters come along see it and think that's what has happened. Point out one example of racism. Point out one example of dey turk our jerbs. I'll save you the effort. You can't. This "argument" is nearly as imaginary as all those "detailed rebuttals, provided reports, studies, analysis etc" you claim to have posted earlier in this thread. Any such links you did post, which were scant, were rebutted one by one and pretty soundly with it.

For the craic drop just one of all those "detailed rebuttals etc" back into the thread and see how you do. Just one will do. Your best shot as it were. Given your claim of all those you previously posted, that should be terribly easy for you.

Again I ask you the same question that we've rarely if ever seen a response to, never mind a direct answer: Please point out any western multicultural nation with all their different historys and politics where the exact same trends along culture and background don't play out in the exact same ways.

Another one for you: Why is it seemingly only White Western "christian" nations and cultures that are in such dire need of this diversity to improve? Would nations of the Middle East not be in need of diversity to improve them? I mean they're not exactly bastions of social liberalism are they? Surely we could help there. Maybe 5-10% more White Christian Europeans sprinkled on for spice? Black African nations? East Asians?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There is no need for hostility. The hostility is dripping off your post and you expect people to engage with you seriously which is a real shame.

Another deflection in a long list of deflections. So sensitive. I don't believe it for a second, btw.

Not going to bother chasing you on anything. The onus is on you to prove yourself worthy of others investing the time to take up your challenge.

• Advertisement

Point out one example of dey turk our jerbs

Seriously? lol. This thread is literally just "they are taking X, Y or Z" lol. Pick a page number of this thread and have a read, any page at all will do

Lets see, we've had complaints about them taking our social welfare money, housing, education, health care, etc

Jerbs not so much as we're at full employment, but give it time, once the recession comes no doubt that will get added to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Why would they want it discussed. Most of them know that they aren't getting reelected. They don't give a sh ite about Irish people and they're after a job in Brussels after the next election. It's all about building that CV that shows you'll happily **** your own people over, eat sh!t and ask for seconds if they'll only be given a job. This is all about the career in Brussels and not caring about the Irish. Our Ukrainian friends? 30,000 random strangers we've no bloody obligation to and this clown just invited the whole fricking country to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

How can you expect to be taken seriously with posts like this?

It's a shame you've declined my offer as I was looking forward to robust discussion in good faith. It looks like that repeated encouragement didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Ireland now has a higher proportion of the population who were born overseas than almost every country in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Eastern Europe mainly… Africa; Middle East Indians and Brasil. Unless -

not a revelation to you, is it?!

Encouragement? What encouragement? I'm a university lecturer, and what you've been posting is unlike any encouragement I've seen professionally or when I studied. I get the feeling that you throw out words and phrases without really understanding how they should be used.

I countered your "offer", which you have ignored. As I guessed you would. Hardly a surprise to anyone here, I expect.

I was a bit curious so I went off and did a bit of digging. Here's some data below on migrants in Ireland.

Source: UN 2019 report

Grr, we need to send those English/Scots & Welsh back so they stop stealing our houses/jobs/education/health care!! Derp! 🤪

The flipside is, if they did the same in return we'd be worse off as there's more Irish living there than them living here lol

"Source" as in a source to back up your claim.

My post above shows your response is incorrect

Just for future reference, this is what a source looks like, showing Ireland ranked 14th against your claim of:

Ireland now has a higher proportion of the population who were born overseas than almost every country in Europe

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Using Malta, Liechtenstein, Isle of Man etc as a compare

Not the "gotcha " you thought it was going to be.

Or the Vatican, Gibraltar, Luxembourg, Andorra, or Monaco for that matter. Other than the Vatican all tiny enclaves of foreign money and tax allergic "foreigners".

You're a decent age AFAICR, did you ever think you'd live to see the lefties adopt Thatcher's views on society? It really is bloody hilarious. Well, would be if the useful idiots weren't so **** numerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Don't need sources. Take a walk around most cities and towns in Ireland and open your eyes. Source enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I live in a very diverse town, people from all over the world in all different walks of life. Some very well off, some not working and some asylum seekers, with a sprinkling of Syrians. My own neighbourhood has some Africans, white South Africans, Pakistani people and Indians. We've no shortage in the town of Muslims and Sikhs. Now in my own neighbourhood I've noticed that there's a clannishness with the white South Africans. They have a small community around the town and they kind of stick to themselves, the family in my neighbourhood have only spoken to me a couple of times, when they needed something.

The Africans are relatively new and she's basically on her phone in the garden in the early hours of the morning chain smoking and throwing the fag ends over the wall and into the street into the spot where little kids play. The Pakistani kids are only in primary school yet the 2 boys are absolute little nightmares. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or not but no manners and no respect. The Indians are polite but aloof. You see the thing is, myself and the other neighbours are very welcoming and friendly but the reality is that these people just don't want to integrate. They have their own communities and that is where they mix. Their kids go to local schools so they mix but that's as far as it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

DaCor would be loving to hit those Vatican city numbers, cram em all in "the more, the merrier, they said as another poor soul was crammed into The Black Hole of Calcutta"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Nope. You hope, nay need to read and claim things like that, but that's not what has been posted. What has been said that you want to read more into is we already have serious issues around housing and access to medical care in this country and it seems illogical to add to those serious issues by bringing in more people. In the case of the recent Ukrainians with no clear plan beyond sure it'll be grand. "Lol" And you can't chomp on the bit of "racism" in their case.

And again you avoid answering direct questions like the very plague. Point out one example like you were asked. If any page will do...

I see you avoided these too. Of course.

Please point out any western multicultural nation with all their different historys and politics where the exact same trends along culture and background don't play out in the exact same ways.

Why is it seemingly only White Western "christian" nations and cultures that are in such dire need of this diversity to improve?

Well I always go back to "follow the money". When "lefties" agree with ardent capitalists on a subject it's not out of any sense of wider charity with the latter. Take the emancipation of women. One helluva positive change in society(and pretty much only in the West), but at the same time it handily doubled the number of consumers and workers and monetised previously untapped jobs, like childcare. It's not so easy to tax a "housewife", it is with a "working mum". The eleventy dozen "genders" on Facebook? A moral positive mindful and kind to their user base? Nah, it makes the information they collect more granular and again easier to monetise. Look at one of the "positives" of diversity that was listed way back; a more diverse workforce means you can tap diverse markets more easily...

I think with the Left (and I'm at pains constantly to point out I love the idea of high taxes actually provided services and liberal social laws, ugh) it's mostly that they've been played than anything else. Yeah there's the piggies up the top and the assholes and jobsworths who make a middle-middle class living from it but I think most have just been led up the garden path and are completely unwilling to question it. Immigration good no matter what. "Racism" bad. "Sexism" bad. Everything is racist and sexist. Yay for the environment but don't think too hard. Probably the best trick played on people is the suggestion that bottom-up is the way to solve climate change and pollution. Yeah, OK. 🤣

Don't look while your government reduces services to nought and cut things taken for granted in the feckin 60s and 70s. Go tell someone they're racist for not finding a black friend to take on a hike.

You set the parameters, not me 🤷‍♂️

The data belongs to the UN, have an issue, take it up with them

Anecdotal evidence isn't worth the paper it isn't written on

Well it's a shame you've taken the route you've taken as I really would have enjoyed a good discussion in good faith. I understand you are a university professor who teaches English in China as you've mentioned China on many occasions. I think that's a commendable job but my understanding is that it's not quite on par with say a university professor here who for example is leading a team and doing research, as most university professors are. I may be wrong and I'm open to correction. Once again it's a shame that you didn't respond well to the repeated encouragement given.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

According to the overfed trough swiller in the Dail today Deputy Nolan is “walking a fine line” for daring to speak the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Then again some people have no mind of their own to realise what is really happening.

Advertisement