Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'm doing a DIY job at the moment.

• 6 panels amounting to 2.3Kwp
    • 3x two panel microinverters (out of stock) and telemetry logger
    • Isolator
    • Assorted cabling (DC connectors etc)

Approx. €2400-2500 so it's pretty close to €1K per 1Kwp, but that's me doing the labor. (and doesn't include the mountings.....which are also out of stock). Good luck in getting close to that from an installer. Still, the revised formula of

€1.2k per 1kWp in panels + €1K per 2kWh in battery + €550 (diverter/Eddi) = Rough price to pay. 

is probably not a bad target to aim for on 5 Kwp systems and above. Smaller systems will be more difficult to meet that target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 darjon110

Howdy

The first quote I posted here recently miraculously was able to drop €1300 from their initial price.

Just a quick question

Are the Huawei inverters much better than the Solis?

These guys are pretty insistent that they are far better with a better warranty

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Hi Folks,

We're just starting out on getting quotes and the first is coming in at about €12.5K before grant. From reading the last few pages of quotes this looks a bit high?

Install 14 No. 405W Jinko Solar Panels (5.67 kWp) - €8,169.00

Huaewi Sun2000 5KLT inverter - €3,569.00

Eddi Diverter - €1,269.00

Supply and fit panels in landscape layout - €472.00

Building Energy Rating (BER assessment - required for SEAI grant) - €349

Total (inc VAT) - €12,445.20

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I eventually paid a deposit yesterday, 8.1 kwp, 6 kw inverter, and 5kwh battery plus eddi so about 13k by formula and I'm paying just under 11.5k, looks ok compared to the formula bit still very expensive compared to even 6 months back

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Hi. Just to give you an update on my hunt for quotes so far. I’ve got a few and there was a good bit of variation for more or less the same installl. The best I’ve gotten so far and probably the one I’m going to go for is as follows:

panels: 12 x 400W Longi

Hybrid 5.0kW Solis Inverter

5.3kW battery (Dyness)

Eddi Inverter

1x optimiser

fireman switch

1 backup socket to be installed downstairs

Gross Cost = €11,000

Net (after grant) = €8,600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

That looks like as good a quote as I've seen in the last few weeks. I'm looking at similar spec and struggled to get quotes under the 10k mark. Had been holding out with a target of getting a quote under 9k after grant... like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Bin that and look at the few posts after yours there is a lot cheaper out there.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Absolutely mate. Again, people always get into the mindset that the formula is "the only" correct price to pay. it's not. It's only a guideline and there's a lot of factors to consider. It's been adjusted since 6 months ago for the increases in the market, and the removal of the battery grant, but yeah, prices are 20-25% up on 6 months ago if I was to hazzard a guess.

+1 in behind con747. Interesting side point, the Eddi is about €500 to buy.....

The UK's 1# Solar Power Diverter: eddi | myenergi

And they are charging €1,269? Sure, there's a bit of work for a spark to wire it, maybe 20-30 minutes (about the same difficulty as installing a 2 gang socket in a wall). So €750 to install it.....for 30 mins. There's your litmus test right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Absolute rip roaring horse poop.

No justification at all for paying 3 times the price for a Huawei inverter over the likes of a Solis.

€1200+ for a diverter that should be no more than €600.

Tell them to jam that quote where the sun doesn't shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Absolutely not, bin it. Keep on looking you will find better value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

A lot of power outages around the country this morning, thanks to the battery had a good hot breakfast!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Thanks Folks, appreciate the steer on quote 1 ( and thank you for the supporting PMs)

For those curious, the provider was not on the list of suppliers pinned in this forum.

Next few phone calls will be to that list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HighFlyer787

Hi All,

Just moving into a new build house and looking to get some PV panels installed. House running off a heat pump, and an EV on the way in early July. As its a new build no grant involved, and no eddi due to heat pump.

I've sought out a couple of quotes which I'd be interested in an opinion on:

Quote 1:

Panels: 12x370W REC 4.44kW system

Inverter: 5kW Huwawei 

no battery

Total price: 10,000

Quote 2:

Panels: 10x400W Jinko N 4kW system

Inverter: unsure

no battery

Total price: 10,016

Quote 3:

Panels: 15x400W Jinko N 6kW system

Inverter: unsure

Battery 4.8 kWh

Total price: 15,132

Quote 4:

Panels: 10x370W Longi 4.44kW system

Inverter: Solis

Battery: 3.6kWh

Total price: 11,800

Quote 5: 

Panels: 12x370W JA 4.44kW system

Inverter: 3.6kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter

Battery: 5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery

Total price: 12,450

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Corradobri

Ok im back with the most competitive quote ive got so far .

16 x suntech 405w panels = 6.48 kwp

Solis inverter.

eddi and harvi included.

5kw battery

12598 euro -2400 =10198

Same system but hauwei inverter and Hauwei 5kw battery =13650 -2400 =11250 euro.

Is hauwei inverter /battery combo worth the extra over the solis and 3rd party battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

@HighFlyer787 ask the Sparks involved in your build for a quote to install, even if you provide the materials. And get the roofer onboard too.

You could do the linkup of the dC side yourself. It's only a + and - wire coming down from the panels, into the inverter

Most systems are installed in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

Hi all, back again, so currently looking at 10 panels, was going to get battery, just over 4 k extra, And next year replace oil condensing boiler with heat pump. Would I be better spending money on heat pump now and not get battery as supplier is suggesting battery will not be used as boiler will take most of electricity produced. New heat pump will cost approx 8k.

Now your talking. Just make sure the inverter is a 6kwh.

No the Huawei is not worth the extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

The other point with Huawei is that you have to stick with a Huawei battery. I've been told that having Huawei inverter and battery reduces potential of communication errors but also some reports solis inverter works better in overcast conditions but I've no clue either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 trelkrub

4.7kwh System (Our usage was 3500kwh last 12 months)

Panels: 12x395W Recom (6/6 E/W - they est 67% generation due to angle)

Inverter: Solis 5k 4g

Eddie HW & online monitoring

no battery (Was not going to consider currently, aim was to heat water tank and offset energy)

9k total/ 6600 post grant

• Advertisement

So maybe I didn't explain very well, phone was running out of battery.

10x 400w cell mono panels, solis hybrid dual inverter. 3.6kw, Dyness 2.4 kw b4850 x2. €9490

Without battery, 8 panels, 2.5kw mini5g single tracker solis inverter. No immersion controller needed. €5262. Have panels already for hot water.

Both post grant. So the question is would I be better off using the price difference between the 2 quotes to off set the cost of heat pump. Or is this false economy, and get the battery and forget heat pump until next year. as I currently cant afford both. Thanks for all your help, this has been very informative.

I would go bigger on the inverter so you can add more panels at a later date

Thanks Maulbrook, not sure if I have space for more panels, but thanks for advise its a question to ask.

Think I'll go with cheaper plan for now, and add more panels later, and rethink about heat pump.

Reading on here it appears the value is not there in the battery at the moment.

Not sure where you got that impression about there being no value in a battery. For sure (100%!!) you need to do your sums and not pay over the odds for one, and it very much depends on your profile of use, but a battery can be a very attractive proposition. Depends on a lot of things though, so you can't just say that it's "good" or "bad" but very much depends on your specific case.

My own one will generate €500-600 in savings this year - albeit I have an unusual profile.

Fair point, nothing is 100%, you are quite right, just cost/return factor, with price of battery, and the loss of grant, its not working for me. Using battery of an evening for tv, fridge/freezer. As I can use the electricity during the day mostly as I do shift work.

With the figures you are saving, it is very worth while, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Corradobri

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

@saccaromyces Do your homework on a heat pump. People who have them appear to be using collosal amounts of power. It looks like you really need an A rated house for a heat pump to make sense.

I can't help but feel that heat pumps mis-selling could be the next big scandal.

Thanks championc, this is the question I'm asking, whats the best thing to do worh the few quid I have.

Get pv panels only.

Get pv panels plus battery.

Get pv panels plus heat pump.

My house is not A rated, I'm awaiting a tester to come out. I would guess C at the moment. I got a new condensing boiler about 8 years ago and am very happy with it. Saved alot on oil. This is also due to replacing windows, doors, insulating roof, walls. I suppose just planning for future with price of oil now. And bills in my retirement in the future.

Its great to have this forum and hear peoples experience and knowledge, thanks boards for being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

It's a difficult one isn't it.

We're in the same position. We decided to go with 12 panels (4.56kWp) and an Eddi. No battery as the math didn't work for us at our age. Plus CEG tariffs are beginning to filter through at 13.5 and 14c per unit.

We went for a MyEnergi Eddi as, like you, we have a relatively new condensing oil boiler. Eddi pushes any surplus solar energy to the immersion in the same tank the boiler heats, meaning the boiler works less and uses less oil. Assuming you don't have a combo boiler, this should work for you too.

We've only had panels for 9 days, and yes, its been reasonably good days for sun, but we've only topped up the hot water twice in the morning because we had a visitor that showered in the mornings. Otherwise we would not have used the boiler at all since fitting. In the winter, cold sunny days will still see surplus helping heat the water. Eddi uses power that otherwise would be exported as Eddi only uses power after the load of the house has been satisfied. Even 200 Watt excess can be utilised by the immersion.

Hopefully the price of oil will reduce, as will electricity, but it doesn't change the fact that your solar panels will continue to heat your water tank which, in winter will always reduce your oil usage by heating the tank.

My recommendation; solar panels plus Eddi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

"Eddi pushes any surplus solar energy to the immersion in the same tank the boiler heats, meaning the boiler works less and uses less oil. Assuming you don't have a combo boiler, this should work for you too."

@BoxerX Why is a combo boiler an issue? I'm planning to use an Eddi. Have a combi boiler heating the water, as well as an immersion switch. Just wondering do I need to check something with an installer or on a site survey when planning solar?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement