Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Comedy End?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, semantics aside, you took issue your perception of him being a hypocrite, so I asked why a comedian ought not be a hypocrite.

I don't think i agree he preaches non-offence of minorities but i do think he discusses harm on his BBC show at least. In that show, he does a few stand up comedy bits and the rest is panel discussion.

If we're being honest, aren't you just opposed to the points he's making and any perceived hypocrisy or WOKE or whatever else, is just post-hoc rationalisation of why you dislike the things he's saying?

Or put another way, he lined his pockets and established his name by being as offensive as possible.

Then, all of a sudden - presumably Tweeting from his vast mansion - Boyle preaches about the need not to be offensive.

Is thst what he did? I'm not sure I've seen him talk about not being offensive. I don't use twitter though so you probably know more than me. Could you link to an example of him preaching about not being offensive?

Well, there's Boyle's recent criticism of Ricky Gervais' jokes that happened to involve the trans- issue.

The Scottish comic, 48, told the Grounded with Louis Theroux podcast that he was less than impressed by Gervais' jokes about trans people - despite Boyle himself having frequently made similar jokes in the past. 

Listeners to the hour-long recording heard Boyle slam Gervais' as 'not a stand-up comedian', saying: 'I saw him doing his routine about trans people and I thought it was very lazy. 

'I would like him to have the same respect for trans people as he seems to have for animals. I don’t think that’s a lot to ask.'

If you look at Boyle's history of jokes and targets of humour, this is just arrant hypocrisy on the part of Boyle; the same Boyle that made rape jokes about Katie Price's disabled son.

Lazy comedy isn't the same as offensive comedy.

Is your criticism of him that he says comedians shouldn't be lazy or they shouldn't be offensive?

• Advertisement

The part of the quote that was in bold is what he is talking about.

It's a little nonsensical to say that you expect someone to be respectful to others when you built a career insulting cancer victims, disabled children and rape victims.

Depends. Absurd comedy, like South Park, takes aim at all kinds of ideas. I enjoy that kind of comedy without actually thinking it's always supposed to be derogatory towards the people depicted. Not all comedy is the same style or makes the same points.

Is there any example of Boyle calling for comedians to be less offensive?

Nobody is saying that this style of humour doesn't exist. Some people like it, some people don't. That's besides the point.

The point is that Boyle was asking another comedian to have respect for a minority, yet Boyle himself built his career on far more offensive jokes about rape and cancer and disabled children.

If that example doesn't convey the kind of conspicuous hypocrisy that everyone else can see with Boyle, then I'm unsure what evidence you would accept.

There is a huge difference towards south park taking aim at taboo subjects and Frankie Boyle making fun of Jade Goody for having cancer or saying that harvey price would rape his mother.

South Park almost always has a dual layer to it's humour and while often dark, it is there for a reason. Frankie Boyle had no ulterior motive other than to shock/offend. There could be no other way for it to be taken other than to be derogatory towards the target.

Now, that's not to say that he shouldn't do it. He is free to make whatever comedy he sees fit.

It's just jarring to see someone make a complete 180 degree turn on their output.

You say that he still makes harsh comedy. Have you an example from his recent material? The little I have seen wouldn't be classed as harsh and certainly not to the extent of his older output.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don't think a UK comedian whose 60 years old plus reflects the current state of comedy , I'm glad there's more diverse range of comedians, more female and black comedians , not just middle class male comedians, I think Billy Connolly is very funny but every comedian reflects the age he grew up in. I think seinfield is still funny look at comedians in cars on YouTube he talks to a wide range of comedians male female and he talks about random subjects there's new comedys being made that are funny but alot are on Netflix apple TV etc streaming services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Shock jokes and toilet humour are still enough to make me roar laughing. Depending upon the context, it can be clever or observant too. Self-deprecating humour is always good 😁

Completely NSFW, but a great example is Sarah Millican -

For me, Sarah Millican is the female manifestation of Russell Howard - in the sense that both are unfunny and resort to filth to catch a cheap laugh - with the voice of Joan Burton.

But that goes to show how subjective comedy is, I suppose.

i caught bill burrs special on netflix with a host of the most offensive or dangerous or whatever comedians he could scrape together the last night

spoiler: the funny ones were good. the unfunny ones weren't. the ones that prioritised weird or offensive over cadence, style, cleverness were the worst.

right at the bottom of the pack was jimmy carr who literally reeled out playground level shite with no intro, just as well to read "jimmy carrs ten most offensive thoughts" because it just wasnt stand up

comedy is in awful shape but its not because you cant offend anyone, its because everyone who ever got a laugh in a club now has a netflix special and most of them havent put together a solid hour and half yet- and when criticised they only react to the offended (was never a shortage of them tbh) and not to those saying "your stuff is lazy and bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Frankie has become a bit of a Bishop now that the Bank account is big, he is joining corporate respectability and becoming an activist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think Sarah Millican is resorting to filth, she’s never been fcuking out of it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 56,239 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The biggest problem today with comedy isn’t necessarily that it’s being cancelled due to offending, it’s that so called comedians and their acts seem to be hellbent on trying to offend, as they are devoid of simply making people laugh.

comedy is not meant to offend. It’s meant to be humorous and entertaining. Of course, at times it will offend, but the main goal should be humor, not offence.

and big problem for comedians when navigating these muddy waters is trying to not step into areas that offend, as now the whole world is awash with offense landmines.

Comedians that rely on filth is just lazy comedy; anyone can do it and reference that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not my cup of tea, sorry. Like some of Ben Elton's early stand-up stuff and that was trying to get people to laugh at naughty words.

"Anal sex!" gets laughts. Yeah....

How about this for laughing at yourself? Woke patrol will have no chance if they tell him to stop telling ableist jokes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Jesus wept, it's a joke. You take this statement seriously?

Like seriously? 'I would like him to have the same respect for trans people as he seems to have for animals. I don’t think that’s a lot to ask.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Any Theo von fans here? I’m hooked on his pod cast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Joe Lycett was investigated by Police in the UK, after an audience member who was at a gig went and reported a joke to them.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/0621/1306144-joe-lycett-joke-investigated-by-police/

Sweet lord, how offended would you be that you'd take yourself off to the police to report it? World is turning into a sad place.

If you are going to be offended by jokes, maybe you should stay at home?

And of course the police took it no further. Complaint made in Belfast.

I know they can't be seen to do it, but when someone contacted them in Belfast and said, "I'd like to report an incident. I was just at a comedy gig there and Joe Lycett made a rude joke about a donkeys penis, and I was deeply offended" , wouldn't it be great if their reply had been, " would you get lost ffs, you were offended by a joke, get over yourself".

But I'm sure these comments were made all the same, just not to the complainant.

Need to know what the joke was....!

I do sometimes wonder why these people go to comedy shows, though. Or at least, alternative shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is Jimmy Tarbuck still alive ? Maybe he should make a comeback…. Actually no, he’d be offending mother in laws, can’t have that…yes comedy, it’s ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"Need to know what the joke was....!"

From Reddit comments - I have no idea if it's true or not.

I was at the show (it happened at a show in Derry Ireland) Buckle up lads because its kind of a wild story. Basically Joe came across a funny video of him as a young boy but in the video he pulls his trousers down and exposes himself (like really helicoptering it) His agent advised him not to show the video as it could tecnically be seen as CP. So Lycett just super imposed a giant donkey dick over his penis so he could show the video and someone still reported him

Facts somewhat mixed up. That person at the show apparently and it was in derry. Yet news says it was Belfast.

Why would someone report that to police?

Yeah, I think he played in Derry the night after Belfast show, and the joke was still in it. I have seen quotes in some online paper from people who were at the Derry show, so maybe they thought that was the one that was reported.

Of course, comedians use the same routine night after night, so someone who was at the earlier Derry show heard it and assumed it was a joke from their show.

"Why would someone report that to police?"

How would they? Without feeling at least a little bit daft. 😏

"Yes, he showed a video of himself as a child with donkey penis superimposed on his private area. He needs to be investigated."

• Advertisement

Depends on whether they reported the joke or the act of showing a child in an (allegedly) sexual context.

Kind of redundant though, when it's the adult as a child...

Advertisement