Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem returning to work after COVID

Options
  • 19-06-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, hoping to gather some advice here

I recently tested positive on an antigen for COVID as i was displaying symptoms, I informed work, work in healthcare btw, who told me they wouldn't be paying me for my missed week but directed me to the illness benefit scheme. I contacted my doctor to inform them i was positive, I asked them did i need to go for a PCR they said there was no need. I have now completed my 7 days isolation and I am testing negative on antigens. Work has now informed me that I will not be allowed back to work until I do a PCR test despite 7 days isolation and testing negative now, is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My local PCR test center is a ghost town book now test in an half an hours time. I suspect most are the same so you might as well go for it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 QuietMan99

It's more the principal of being forced to do it when I have isolated, testing negative and told by my doctor there is no need to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Employer has a duty to ensure a safe workplace for you and your colleagues. You have been out with a contagious virus, they'd be stupid to allow you to return work on your say so. But John/Mary said they were fine.... is not much of defence if a work colleague or client took them to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 QuietMan99

But I informed them I was positive and made sure to isolate for the required time as instructed by the HSE. I'm now testing negative on antigen and the HSE says that's good enough.

It does not really matter, your word won't fly in a court if the employer is taken to task. And I expect that their legal people have already advised them to CYA on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm thinking that the employer doesn't really understand PCR testing: the HSE won't retest you for some months after you've had COVID, because the test still comes back positive even though you're no longer infectious.

IMHO, head to your GP, and ask them for a certificate that you're fit to work, and to advise your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You will test positive with a pcr for months after you have had COVID

Employer is definitely wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Employer should follow Hse rules.

Not creating their own.

Just reviewed this, and saw the employer is in healthcare.

They may be looking for an excuse to move you along. It sucks, is possibly illegal - but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Below link from HSE website confirms healthcare workers can obtain a PCR test so if you have tested positive on an antigen you could book a PCR test if you needed a COVID-19 Recovery Cert, sounds like this might be what your employer was looking for

Did your employer advise you of this when you notified them of your positive antigen? Did you register your positive antigen on the HSE website because it does instruct that you have to take a PCR if you need a covid recovery cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sorry, but tough. Employers have duties and responsibilities. Get a test. It's not asking a lot.

You're missing the point. If s/he gets a PCR test now, it will very likely show positive, and continue to do so for several months.

But based on the RAT the active infection was some time ago, and the most-probably infections period is now over.

I am very surprised if a healthcare employer doesn't understand that.

A PCR will not show positive for months. People got clear PCRs for travel soon after recovery. But the bit I was really replying to was the whole 'looking to move you along' conspiracy rubbish.

Employers in many areas look for a clear PCR. No big deal and no ulterior motives either.

You are the one missing the point! The science is not relevant. The objective is for the employer to be able demonstrate that they unquestionably did everything possible to safeguard their environment for their employers and clients. Any decent barrister would tear strips out of the employer in court. All they have to do is point out the employer is not qualified to reach that conclusion and their carelessness led to Mr/Miss X contacting a serious virus blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Bull letter from GP stating fit to work is all that is needed - employer cannot go on its own tangent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

Bull. If they follow government guidance they can do no more. If that was the case every employer in the country would be asking for PCR tests before return to work.

Edit. And how could they prove who they caught it off?

Advertisement