Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Heard you on the wireless this morning @DrPhilG ☺️

Well done, clear and precise..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's shocking tbh.

The network has improved, for sure, but it was at such an awful base to begin with that it's still sub par. There's only one actual hub (J14 mayfield), a couple of other two unit charger sites (eg Kells Park Ri) but the vast majority are still 50kW single points of failure and that's nowhere near good enough in 2022.

We had a great network in 2012, capable DC and great 22kW AC coverage. Then we had no improvements or change or progress really until 2018. Additionally, the north is still a basket case, similar to what the south had become by 2017. I am currently (because I'm using an ioniq28 outside of its range) charging a lot, 5-6+ times a week, and I only ever use sites that have more than one charger. Invariably that's Ionity. Says a lot that I'm willing to pay 2.5X the price for a better network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Enniskillen, broken chademo charger being replaced by new CCS and ChaDeMo unit. Broken for over a year. No other 50kW charger in enniskillen .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Could they not have put in one of the more modern, more reliable 50kW units?

Also.... 'Rapid'

LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

How things could be done…if only.

Ticks a lot of boxes

”It features four 175kW ultra-rapid chargers (which can be upgraded to 350kW when more EVs can charge at this rate), four 50kW rapid chargers, with an adjacent area having thirty 7kW chargers for Park and Ride users.

The HyperHub also has a solar canopy which allows the site to generate its own renewable energy which can be stored in the Tesla Powerpack batteries at the charging hub, helping to reinforce the grid.

The ultra-rapid and rapid chargers are user-friendly for EV drivers thanks to contactless payment.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No harm to Enniskillen, they've had crappy coverage for a while.

But compare their throughput to Derry which is now coming up on 2 years without a single functional 50kW charger. Meanwhile places like Portrush and Enniskillen are getting upgrades.

Ah now, less of your oul negativity @ELM327

Them 2 lads from the wireless said that the network isn't too bad!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's a UK thing, 16A AC is slow, 32A AC Fast, and Rapid is used for 50kW DC. The practice here was to call 16A/32A chargers Standard Charge Points (often colloquially called Slow) and the 50kW DC chargers Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Stopped at the N17 plaza to try the new charging set up

All 4 CCS plugs in use now, an Ev6, an eNiro, an ID4 and my own e208

I was getting over 90kwh when I plugged in so everything is working well

Wasn't expecting the chargers to be so busy, was lucky the last free spot suited the side the port is on my car

There should be more like this, great set up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What was said on the radio was the network isn't as bad as some people make out. There are vocal people who would have you believe its impossible to travel beyond your home range as the network is so terrible. There isn't any one network of chargers that is glowing and represents and all-island utopia, but if your willing to spend a wee bit extra and use an Ionity charger travel between the major towns/cities is not an unsurmountable issue.

I did a Dublin Sligo trip on the bank holiday weekend, didn't have to queue for a charger at all, and 2 of the 3 of chargers I used maxed out the capabilities of the car I was driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think the people who say you can't travel beyond your own home charging capabilities are the ones who don't actually own EV's!!

My father in law all but laughed at me buying one.

"How can you get to Kerry in that?"

"I'll stop in Birdhill like I normally do for 30 minutes and I'll be almost full again"

"Sure that won't get you there"

"It'll get me there with 200kms to spare"

"And sure you'll not be able to go anywhere when you get there"

"I'll leave it charge away when we're in the house and overnight"

"You're only codding yourself"

He didn't say much when I spent a few weeks there last year and had zero range anxiety or any bother getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sounds like a great selling point for the Leaf24, lack of range gets you out of visiting the in-laws 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Nobody on that radio piece said that cross country travel was insurmountable.

What I said was that the growth in the network (and I did say it had improved) was nowhere near in line with the growth in sales of EVs.

Correct, but what you reported as "the network isn't that bad, all is well." isn't what was said either. The statement was it's not as bad as it's sometime made out to be, and we need planning to figure out what we need to do to properly provision a network. Even the ESB guy said they envision a tripling of number of chargers on their network

But when? By 2050?

And frankly there's plenty of low hanging fruit for ESB where they could vastly improve the network with just a few small additional chargers

As we mentioned before, all the TII service stations have only a single 50kW charger. Adding a second unit would unblock a lot of the queues

And if they just replaced them with 2 of those 200kW Delta chargers then that would seriously improve the customer experience

And there's already a high powered grid connection at several of those sites (Gorey and Castlbellingham are two examples) so power constraints won't be an issue

Listen to what was said and you'll have as much information as I do 🤣

There are 6 TII service stations operated by Applegreen, the ones at Lusk, Castlebellingham and Enfield. They are all notably sites where eCars haven't rolled out any enhancements and should be places where Mayfield style hubs are installed. There's another 13 years left on Applegreens operating contract if they want to prevent eCars from installing chargers there is nothing that can be done to stop them.

I've noticed that the Plaza Group (Supermacs) are a much better partner, they seem to be encouraging eCars to roll out chargers at any of their stations.

I can only hope that the second tranche of TII stations (Athlone, Kilcullen & Gorey) from 2018 give TII a bit more control on the deployment of future technology

When the guy from the company that counts a single 50kW DC charger as 2 chargers says his company ‘envisions’ to triple their number of chargers, I’d be taking that with the most minuscule of pinches of salt!!

I ‘envision’ myself owning a brand new Tesla Roadster in a few years, but doesn’t mean it will happen!!

ECars are and have for a long time been a disgrace. I'd give no credibility to anything they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

We'll be accused of bashing ecars which is not really my aim. But speaking of 50kW at service stations in 2022 is so 5 years behind. From the 9k cars sold this year I bet 95% are 100kW capable. But where? Not ecars. The "news" that a 50kW charger installed in 2012 is replaced by a 50kW in 2022 shows complacency. We've been domesticated to be grateful if we find an available charger not to question the lack of ambition. Planning happens since 2019.and we got a hub which was originally an Ionity site. Ecars didn't show that is capable to deploy one single hub from ground up not six as was announced and quoted in the first post of this thread. I don't know you but I would definitely be looking for a job if I'd have such a "success" rate at work.

The key elements include six high speed charging hubs on motorways capable of charging eight vehicles simultaneously; 16 high speed charging hubs capable of charging four vehicles simultaneously; additional high power chargers at 34 current 50 kW locations; upgrading over 50 22 kW chargers to 50 kW, and replacing up to 264 locations with 528 charge points at the pre-existing pilot grade of 22 kW to next generation high reliability models.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Don't Applegreen ultimately want to run their own network?????.

Or at least that's how I understand the whole own brand chargers like what's now in Birdhill

• Advertisement

You don't have to give them credibility but at least don't outright misreport what they said on a recorded programme

That's certainly the rumoured reason for it, they were also pretty obstinate with Gridserve in the UK who inherited a lot of Welcome Break sites from Electric Highway. Basically blocked them from replacing chargers with upgraded models. There's another group Euro Garages which serve the A55 from Holyhead which also look to have blocked Gridserve from replacing chargers on site. It does raise the question re how co-operative the different site owners will be as they start to develop their own charging hubs. Will we see Maxol block eCars from any further expansion on their sites?

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Basically blocked them from replacing chargers with upgraded models.

I presume that’s more to do with needing the on site grid capacity for their own plans?

probably an element of stifling competition too but if the site has limited grid capacity and they want to put in more themselves you can understand why they’d block someone else. Let the competitor pay for the grid upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

If that's what they want, then they should be told to install the charge points. Applegreen don't own the locations, TII do. TII should be able to give Applegreen notice that if they don't install by a certain date, then they will be deemed non-compliant with the Motorway Service Area policy, and that that will be taken into account for any future tenders to operate services..

The policy published by the NRA states that "Once in place, service areas will need to continuously develop in order to meet the evolving needs of road users." If Applegreen are blocking that, then they need to be held to account, and the full force of the law should be used to force them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Applegreen were relying on the " Increased levels of facilities in order to comply with future European and National policies" to claim that their isn't a national policy in place with minimum charging requirements so therefore they don't have to deliver any extra facility.

I don't really care wether it's an eCars hub or an Applegreen hub on the M1 MSAs, either way they need a significant upgrade.

I presume that’s more to do with needing the on site grid capacity for their own plans?

Welcome Break were blocking replacement of DBT 50kW units with units that were more modern and used the same grid connection. That was cleared up towards the end of last year, the Euro Garages points still haven't been replaced and are now on free vend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has ecars ever installed 3x 50kW & 1 x 22kW at one site here?

Are you joking? They'd probably set themselves on fire if they tried to do that here

Ecars UK is a completely different setup, seems the council will tender a contract for x number of chargers and companies try to win the contract

You know, how a functional economy works

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Ooofff... public tenders... yeah that's how a functional economy is "supposed" to work for sure lol 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ecars UK is the same team as ecars ROI I think, just the incentives are set up differently.

• Advertisement

The difference being of course they are accountable in 1 jurisdiction where they sign contracts as opposed to zero accountability on the other jurisdiction.

Advertisement