Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A mates family member sent him this the other week in their family group chat.

The sheer outrage and not being able to even overtake a cyclist

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dear lord, how do they deal with rush hour traffic in the city centre? I mean the sheer stupidity. Just be honest and don't make sh1t up. They think its too slow and don't want too. Don't make up lies to make it sound justified, I mean, any sort of thought into the statement would highlight that they effectively can only operate their car on closed roads without the engine konking out. Actually, how did they used to drive in the park, anytime I went there years ago the average driving speed was often sub 20kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not to mention that its a standard speed limit all over Europe.

Its like a child saying that porridge is giving them headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

“There is no pleasure anymore driving through the park.” Where do you even start with that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

They've raised the speed limit from 30kph to 50kph on the coast road in Sandymount, I wonder if it's cos of the same shyte reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That absolutely dumb argument appears regularly on boards.ie too. If you can't control a car at any reasonable speed maybe driving isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Pat Kenny discussing Phoenix park issue later. Brace yourselves for some it’s all cyclists fault bashing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the least the cyclist could have done was pull out into the road to give the driver a tow, with the price of petrol these days it could be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

PK on having a moan about the 30kph in Phoenix Park. Tune in if you want to hear the usual petty sniping about cyclists.

Niall Ring on there wringing his hands about the mental health of motorists being forced to drive more slowly. You couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat spouting his usual anti-cycling bile this morning.

It's very concerning that there's so many people in Dublin who can't seem to drive at 30kph without destroying their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Well that was just painful to listen to.

Niall Ring playing ant cyclist bingo, Fairview, Duggan jewellers, cyclists with earphones (he saw that once).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat was on about cyclists "mowing pedestrians down" as well. These dinosaursr need to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to enjoy the Pat Kenny show on Newstalk but I just can't go near it any more since I realised his ridiculous stance on cycling and any measures that restrict cars. He's a f*cking c**t! No two ways about it.

I remember during first lockdown he was going on about cyclists and joggers 'plumes' spreading covid. Total crank territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pat Kenny gone apoplectic on Newstalk on it, had a long piece earlier, reading out the texts now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The patronising and condensing tone PK spoke to Michael Pidgeon in was disgraceful.

Especially compared to the way he spoke to Michael Ring who called the area beside it Chapelizard

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well done everyone for adding to Pat Kenny's listenership numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're listening on FM you can deny it, and they can't prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

He must suffer from night terrors of being overtaken by bikes while driving his car. Poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Seen motorist driving with big cans on their ears and others with in-ear headphones (more than once... )

IMO, any motorist that can't drive a vevicle at or under 30kmph are not competent to hold a license to drive at speeds above that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd love to lentil his car a la the Tyre Extinguishers, wonder what he drives

Ooh the rage in the paper of record

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I did a search in German for "30 km/h" and "engine damage" or "impossible" or "can't be done" and turned up nothing. So I guess the Germans are able to manage it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Indo are reporting on Kenny's interview and how he asked Cllr Michael Pidgeon if he understood gears in a car...

"You are a Green Party councillor so you are concerned that if you do have to drive a car, and I don’t know whether you do drive a car, you should drive it efficiently and in a way that conserves energy and pollutes less,” he said.

"And the way to do that is to drive at an appropriate engine speed.

"If you are driving at 30km/h you are in a lower gear, if you are in a higher gear you will suffer cutouts, but if you are driving at a lower gear you are driving very inefficiently in terms of your engine.

"So, how do you square that circle? That’s pure science that’s not me spoofing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It is strange how the same vehicles can manage less than 30kmph in traffic gridlock but cannot do it on an open road without stalling etc. It takes a long time to change perceptions and behaviours but at least this process has started with regard to speeding and aggressive driving behaviours. Now we just need this enforced.

30kmph should be the legal limit in all housing estates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah so what - is there anyone out there going "yeah Pat Kenny is so right on this". Very few listen to it, and even less if this is all he can come up with. John Waters also has a devoted following, so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I used to think he was a decent enough journo, but he's gone loo-la since moving to Cartalk. My personal theory is he inherited Hooks seat when they put him out to stud and there's some Third Policeman style transference going on:

The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives sitting in George Hook's chair get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of the Hook as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half Hook...when a man lets things go so far that he is more than half Hook, you will not see him so much because he spends a lot of his time shouting at clouds and giving out about cyclists

Galway City Councillors being asked to be brave just so kids don't have to be.

In all seriousness though, the situation in Galway is becoming farcical. Councilors will demand safe active travel infrastructure and reject it every.single.time it impacts anything car related

Vat on bikes 'could' be cut from 23% to 13.5% https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2022-05-31a.421

• Advertisement

Same as with the tourism vat reduction it won't be passed on. They should have made it something you could apply for

Advertisement