Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I always find with these higher profile caddies they get all the credit for the wins but when they're not winning its the players fault.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

But this is complete result focused analysis. It proves nothing. They won the major so they very magnanimously gave their caddy some credit for the win. But that doesn't really mean anything.

If Rory won I'm sure he'd give Harry a lot of credit and would that then put Harry up there with those guys you mentioned? Because you're putting them up there based solely on what their player has said about them in the aftermath of the biggest victories of their lives.

Foster is a curious example to sue for this results based analysis too given the amount of majors he has caddied in and not won. If he gets some of the credit for Fitzpatrick's victory does he also have to take some of the blame for Bjorn or Westwoods various collapses down the years? Surely it should work both ways?

To me it's just the most ridiculous conversation as none of us can possibly know who's a "good" or "bad" caddy. It's the equivalent to Liverpool and Man United fans having an argument about who has the better assistant manager. We just can't possibly know because like a caddy it's a role that it's impossible to know how much input they have, how much impact their input is having or how much input the manager even wants them to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

You've said it alright but doesn't make it any less baseless. Why didn't Bones win the Canadian Open for JT? Why has it taken until now for Foster to win a major? Darren Clarke won one when he had a different caddy. We can all drag up nonsense to try and fit our argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely agree with that last paragraph. There's isn't really a job description for "caddy". Harry could be the best in the world for all we know. Who says it requires years of serving your time before you're a good caddy ? Is Greller a good caddy ? Spieth has done ok with him. Was Steve Williams a good caddy or lucky to be with Tiger and Scott ? I guess the counter to that is Van de Velde would have an Open if he'd had a good caddy (or would he ?). The great caddy might be the unknown guy saving the equally unknown fella ranked 115th, a shot here or there so he keeps his card.

Of course players who win are going to praise the caddy, they're hardly going to stand there and say ".... well he carried the bag I suppose, but the golf shots were all me and this victory is mine...." at least they won't if they ever want to trust a yardage again.

Meh, I dunno, I think the caddy issue with Rory is a bit of a red herring personally. A caddy doesn't have to be the best in the world, he just has to be the best in the world for his player, and different players will want and be happy with different things. Maybe JP was successful because he said nothing and just let Rory play, for those 3 or 4 years no-one could live with him when he was freewheeling it. Look at the way he rocked up on Sunday at Medinah, no warmup and took out Keegan Bradley, or in the wind at Kiawah when even Tiger couldn't stay with him in R3. Maybe now he's older, he sees the trouble a tiny bit more (and it wouldn't even have to be as much as once per round), and is just that percent or two off what he was. Who knows.

We had 3 birdies and then he had a bogey 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Lads a caddy cleans the clubs and gives the players yardages they already know, there’s a reason they only get 10%

• Advertisement

They don’t get all the credit, they get credit for the part they played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭dublin49

10% of a huge number is a big number,if they are incidental ,they grossly overpaid for the top guys.I suppose its mostly an individual thing ,if hes calling club selection and putting lines he is probably worth a lot if its working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think @Russman overview summarises well and should end the discussion for good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Caddies on the LIV tour are getting paid more than the players on the European tour 😕

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Knowing the players that joined and their motivations, I doubt they are on the full 10%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Ah jaysis , why would Rory be winning one soon haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Absolutely ridiculous. The fact they were in contention means he is doing a great job.

I just pointed out the three previous major winners because they were relevant.

Here's Zalatoris....

When I won [the TPC Colorado Championship], well, on 15, it's a very gettable par 5. I hit it over the back of the green and I had about a 35-footer and I left it hanging on the lip," Zalatoris explained. "Ryan was -- he could tell I was frustrated. We get up on to 16 tee and it's like a 122-yard par-3 down the hill with a false front and I'm pacing off the yardage. I'm like, 'I've got 122.' He said, 'Pace it off again.' I'm looking at him like, 'You've got to be kidding me. I'm trying to win a golf tournament. You've got a different number.'"

Zalatoris walked it off again, getting the exact same 122 number. When he looked over to Goble, he knew he got got. 

"I look at him and he's smiling and I knew immediately what he was doing was actually trying to get me to slow down and just take a moment. Don't press and make another mistake when you don't have to because the first thing if someone tells you to calm down, you're like 'Well, no, I'm not going to calm down, you calm down.'

"So it was a really kind of good little mind trick that he played on me, and I ended up hitting the shot to eight feet, making birdie and we ended up winning the tournament by one."

This story wasn't told after the win, it was told after the Olympics when a conversation about whether a caddy should get an Olympic medal came up. Zalatoris, Poulter and Max Homa all said they should.

That's three guys with no major who believe caddies are that important.

You're totally missing the point. No one is saying the caddy doesn't have a function or a value (though this value can be over stated), just that it's impossible for us to know how good a caddy is.

What makes you think Harry Diamond is such a bad caddy? Is he giving Rory bad yardages time and again? Is he losing clubs as he goes around the course?

Because unless he was doing something very obvious like this I don't know how you can be so confident he's not up to the job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rory won with his mate on the bag (hope he got a good payday), Westly won with his girlfriend (at the time) carrying the back and not performing any caddy function apart from company and a chat.

It's impossible to correlate wins/losses with Caddy "performance/influence", is Steve Williams the best caddy of all time due to being on Tiger's bag??

It's an interesting debate though, IMHO they are there to carry the bag and offer psychological support, a good pro will know his distances from practice days when he can use rangefinder

Don’t forget Matt stiffing the local caddy in Mexico a few years back and the fact that players used to have to use local caddies at the Masters.

But at the same time, the stresses are different I would imagine in Majors than the Canadian Open so they aren’t really comparable. While I’m no expert on caddies, I suspect they are needed more when things are not going well/when the player is stressed than when they are on autopilot and everything is going their way.

In relation to Steve Williams, he had the confidence and knowledge to be able to speak up to one of the two best players in history, and Woods apparently was smart enough to listen.

Fair play Billy Foster for getting Seve, Westwood and Bjorn into contention in the majors. Three absolute no hopers until Billy volunteered to lug their bag around.

Think it’s fair to say Seve was past his prime when Billy was carrying his bag, Westwood certainly had the talent but never seemed to have the mindset to win a major, nothing Foster could have done to change that. I’m not sure how long he spent with Bjorn or Clarke, I might be wrong but not many people expected Clarke to win when he did, his career seemed to be on the way down after some great wins. Maybe Clarke’s caddy helped him a lot that day, but he sacked him six months later as his form floundered.

With the amount of sh1t talk about caddy's maybe they deserve their own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Some experts on here about (McElroy’ )caddy) . All weekend warriors no doubt. Yet when feed the family lowry loses for 3 years straight there is very little criticism. He is on the right track or got unlucky. As has been said it’s a lot got to do what part of Ireland he is from. No wonder he will never play the Irish open again. Dead right.

• Advertisement

Haha Lowry won a major in 2019. Did ya miss it? When was Rorys last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Who is number 2 in the world? Not the fat “ man of the people”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm missing the point? I've shown you six players who are talking about how important their caddies are, three of who believe that a caddy should get a medal in the Olympics alongside the player. I think that shows how much they value their caddies. This isn't me or you deciding how important they, these are players telling us how crucial they are.

As for Harry Diamond, I never said he was a bad caddie or even a poor one. I said that having a friend on the bag isn't a good thing. A player needs to be focused, to be challenged at times on his decisions. Harry hasn't ever done that to Rory. It's quite possible he'd do it to any other player.

For instance, Rory's iron play has been great but he decides he's going for the green off the tee. There's wild, long grass around the green, there's deep bunkers and rough on the wrong side of the green too. I'm quite sure that a lot of caddies would tell Rory that they prefer an iron or rescue down the middle but Harry never says these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Are you privy to things about Rory and Harry that none of us are? How do you know he has never challenged Rory's decisions? How do you know he never says anything about going for the green off the tee? Did you actually just decide to make up stuff to back up your argument, that's quite bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Especially when we have high profile examples of the exact opposite being true like Quail Hollow and just last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

The two issues I'd have with that, and I'm not saying you're right or wrong coz its an interesting debate, would be 1) how do we know Harry has never challenged Rory or advised caution ? and 2) I think we're slightly guilty of judging these top players with the benefit of hindsight and with a conservative mentality. Top pros are so good at golf its on another level to even average pros, let alone club golfers. They just think differently and rarely, if ever, "go for" a green - most of the time, they know that a well struck shot either has the carry or doesn't, its very seldom a Hail Mary, throw yourself at it, kind of shot. Of course, a caddy should offer advice, especially if its plainly crazy, but maybe the two of them decided that the best play to gain a shot when chasing was to knock it up to the front of that green with the 3 wood and as long as he didn't miss left he was fine. Hitting a big swinging hook like he did wouldn't have come into it. Matty Fitz drove that green and won, Billy must have been ok with it.

Its been mentioned earlier in the year, and even discussed on here, that he's been having problems with his 3 wood and how it had a left shot in it (around the time Bryson got slapped down by Cobra for saying his driver was rubbish), he even spoke about it the other day. Maybe that should have factored into things, maybe it did and Rory still said its grand, I got this.

Think of one of his best shots, the drive on 18 at Sawgrass when he won. An absolute monster shot, but lets say he tweaks that 3 or 4 yards left and into the water, should Harry have tried to talk him into nudging a 5W down there ?

Number 2 of the world doesnt mean jack shite. Nobody gives a **** , when was his last major?. Medvedev is no.1 in the world in tennis , about 50 people know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Defo who cares about his weight, the man has won irelands last major! And will win our next

• Advertisement

Exactly, this guy is literally just making up incidents to fit into his narrative. It's weird stuff to be honest.

Advertisement