Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lonely Planet article criticising Dublin as tourist destination ‘doesn’t make for pleasant reading’

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

A couple of things. Coming home is a head wreck lately. Prior to Covid we sent a few weeks each year in summer and winter at home.

2022...well lets see:

Car Rental in Ireland: $35000 for a month. Not happening!

Hotel for one night arriving back Dublin: 600 euro... Not happening!

Could I afford this? YES... will I be extorted Nope!

Dublin is one of my favourite cities (or used to be). While I agree that prices have risen world wide, I still fail to see the disconnect between Dublin and elsewhere. It is a small city. But the complete ruination of the place by costs, lack of sights to see will alienate many people from travelling. I am lucky I have options when at home: Borrowing cars, Own home, etc... Even I find it crazily expensive when compared to other destinations.

Dublin has many great features, needless to say nightlife being one of them, along side the warmth of the people. This is being ruined too. People travelling there may remember the night life, good food, but most of all they will remember being ripped off by services that they need,,,,, it will kill Dublin as a destination. One bad review and hundreds of people will avoid Dublin (and Ireland) like the plague.

The article itself is balanced and indicative of Dublin and I have no issues with it.

As someone who has promoted Ireland to friends here in the States as a great place to come to, I know at least three who have said NO WAY when the costs started appearing upon planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You pass through an airport, you're not there to take up residence. Rookie mistake not getting food beforehand or bringing with you. Most airport food is overpriced and terrible, it's like giving out about the culinary delights of a bus station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Lonely Planet articles generally are mild but their real value is how they influence not just those intending to travel but how media pick up on what they say and ironically not say.

TripAdvisor for example is utter nonsense, not at all reliable, little or no controls, a free for all ( I spent years as a torn in their side)

The decerning traveller looks to lonely planet and a small number of other Guides for review, opinions, guidence. From an industry perspective, the lonely planet article was in essence a gentle but focussed kicking, it worked, look at the reaction to it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

And yet, and yet, 7th best city to visit. According to...drum roll...Lonely Planet.

These threads are panto at this stage. "Dublin is a kip."

"Oh no it isn't."

"Oh yes it is."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Paris or London indeed have sh*box areas, but they are in aggregate world class cities and centres of the Franco and Anglo world respectively. The best of museums, every type of cultural outlet you can conceive of at your fingertips, every type of cuisine, iconic architecture and highly developed public transport.

Let's not kid ourselves. Dublin is none of those things.

Looked it up the other day when I considered overnighting in Dublin. Something's not right when you look up HOSTEL beds for a sat night and they're 90 quid and over. Paying about €100 for the privilege of sharing a room with maybe 7 strangers, sleeping in a friggin bunkbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Astartes

98 to 2007 were the prime Dublin years. It's all gone now. God be with the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

paid less then £200 a night a boutique hotel near the British museum in London. for6 night in August. Dublin is definitely off the list for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubmany

It's not just the cost, we also have to tackle anti-social behaviour and poor infrastructure. Also, having a larger cultural offering than other parts of the country might give you a warm feeling but it's no reason for complacency, we're not really competing with Cork or Limerick for the city break or conference market, we're competing with Lisbon, Barcelona, Amsterdam and Copenhagen, not to mention the larger cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

An Irish person's plan for getting rich is to sell you a ham sandwich for €1000.00

There are high profit margin businesses - and not just illegal (narcotics) and immoral (tobacco) ones - but it takes imagination, savvy and going against conventional wisdom to go into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Irish know how to fleece a tourist. Nothing new, been happening for years.

You'd think Dublin only got expensive in the last 6 months. They are just taking it to new levels now, making hay while they can. They don't play the long game at all, it's all short term gain, feck the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

In that case, one or two things will happen:- the bubble will burst and tourists will start avoiding Dublin in their droves. Business owners in Dublin who rely on this sort of trade will get the message and drop prices accordingly in order to attract tourists back. The other one is that same types of businesses will start to close because it turns out the claim of high overheads from operating in Dublin were actually true. If it's enough of a problem then the market will sort it.

Not at all sure lonely plant said Dublin is a Kip , but also worth pointing out Dublin is 5th most expensive city to live in Europe.

Hey d, I was referring to the op saying Dublin is a kip. To get a few clicks. Not unlike the lp article.

• Advertisement

O sorry , I didnt intend to say you said this, apologies, just picked up on the comment generally 😏

New account troll catnip. Who knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

theres plenty of cafes that sell coffee for 2 to 3 euro.thats the free market if theres a small no of rooms avaidable they,ll put the price up especially in summer.alot of hotel rooms are being taken up by people on hap ,rent allowance . if the price is too high people will go elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

ggalway, cork, depends on if youre counting the north or not

madrid is one of the best cities in the world.......

thats just how alot of airports work unfortunately, made the same mistake when i went through there. schipol is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Dublin is easy to like, also the Irish are nice, but when it comes to money it's hardly a good choice. Often even London is cheaper, - yes that depends on what you compare what with, but again, it only shows that Dublin is really to pricy for what the city offers to tourists.

Edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'd echo this about Madrid. Went there before Covid for a few days and there's a very visible police presence and they have no qualms about engaging anyone up to no good.

Well to be fair, Madrid has a reason to have a very visible police presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dublin is becoming San Francisco. Locals priced out by Tech Workers and all that's left is them and the homeless, who have penchant for **** on the street.

I had been working in the city centre since February and am alarmed at the amount of shite on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

I went to Kerry a couple of years ago on a family holiday, and we couldn't spend our money ...ie 1 hour hire of kayaks €5 each... 1 hour hire of surf board and wetsuit €10 at inch beach and many other things like that around if you look!! so it is possible to get loads done but we did self catering at ate most our main meals at home, but you could easily see how the tourist are getting fleeced in restaurants and bars especially

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

Government need to stop being so kind to these industries, they've made enough profits pre pandemic through high prices and low wages!!! It wont be long before we turn into America with the staff in these industries needing their tips to survive!!

Morning 😏

As you know I know probably too much about this sector and couldn't agree more 😏

99.9% of the problems it's facing are entirely of its own making

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Madrid has 7 times as many people and Seville would be better comparasion, i would be happy to walk around Seville at night alone, not Dublin.

The police in Spain dont take any Sh1t, the Gardai have not the will or the fire power to take on these thugs.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Culshie with chip on shoulder whinges about Dublin. And boy do some of them have a chip on their shoulders. In other news water is wet.

Dublin most certainly has problems and some serious ones too and the rest of the country has problems too. Lack of policing a biggie. Folks in the country suffer from that even worse than those in cities like Dublin. Utterly ridiculous sentences or lack thereof handed down by so called "judges" another issue. Money squandered or not spent at all in the right areas, while healthcare, education and housing struggles. We're a nation run by gombeen men and women and have been since the egg and we keep voting these pricks in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

These threads are bizarre. A grown man who is afraid to walk around... Dublin at night. It's not f*cking Haiti. I have 2 female friends that have lived in IFSC and just off Camden St for years, they enjoy their lives and the city, and go out whenever they please because it's a very safe city. Just because you see a few homeless people and addicts doesn't mean the place is out to kill you. I've actually seen far worse crazy sh*t here in London than I ever did in Dublin, it's just kind of spread out more.

I know the rest of Ireland despises Dublin and its people, and love these kinds of articles, but Ireland is expensive everywhere these days, not just Dublin, and at least things like public transport and cycling/pedestrianisation are improving, look at the shambles that is public transport in other Irish cities, at least we're making some progress in Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I agree we need to tackle the antisocial behaviour and poor infrastructure. I mean almost everywhere in Dublin is walkable but if you get a rainy day or a tourist with mobility issues they need to be able to use the Luas, DART and bus easily. I haven't been in the city centre for a few months now, probably since Christmas. I used to work in there 5 days a week pre-pandemic and certain parts were dicey but through the pandemic that seemed to just get progressively worse. That needs to be sorted.

You're probably right about Dublin competing against other major cities for city breaks for other European visitors but visitors from further afield don't just go to Dublin. They'll be travelling around the whole country or parts of it and base themselves in Dublin at the start or end of their trip. How long they stay there (if at all) is going to be dictacted by whether or not they can find a reasonably priced hotel room in the city centre or within an easily commutable distance. I can't imagine many tourists to Dublin want to pay through the nose to stay in the suburbs and still have to get a bus, luas or DART into the city. I wouldn't do it on a trip myself.

I actually love Dublin and the native people, i was slagging my niece who grew up in Clonsilla a couple of weeks ago that she wasn't a real Dub, we were with her dad who was raised just off Dorset St, good guy.

I am told the City centre is disaster since people started woking from home the people you mention have become more noticable, i know a person who has a shop in Talbot St and this is what he said a few weeks ago.

I would not be afraid to walk but i think i be more comfortable in lots of other cities.

It might have, maybe thats because of the amount of police ??

I was hinting that it also has been the target of terrorist attacks in recent times, and thats why its flooded with police?

The city centre is absolutely packed these days, and guess what they are all going about their business without being assaulted etc. Of course you have incidents here and there but that happens everywhere, I've seen Cork in the news a good few times in recent months because of assaults in the city.

Anyone thinking you can't walk around Dublin at night needs their head checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The Lonely planet article bears no relationship to your post. Why did you ask people to read the article first. The article just talks about rising costs.

Usual shur twill be grand attitude, shur tis the same everywhere.

The Irish recipe for not making improvements, making streets safer and basically doing fcuk all.

As a (presumably) male, you do have a certain amount of privilege being able to walk around the city at night unmolested, not the case for everyone.

• Advertisement

But it is grand, as I said, there are thousands and thousands of people going about their business in Dublin every day. As much as all you anti-Dublin folks like to go on about how dangerous the place is, I don't know anyone that lives there who has any problems with safety. If you don't feel safe coming to Dublin because there aren't enough Garda well either stay away or contact your TD to campaign for more on the streets.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've worked in the city centre for 12+ years and lived there for 3 of those and I have never felt unsafe in town. There are places and times that I would be more on my guard but I would say that of almost anywhere.

Having said that my mother was in the city centre one evening recently, got off her bus at Bachelor's Walk and walked down O'Connell St at about 9pm (if I'd known I'd have told her not to, OCS is not great at night), she didn't feel safe and walked down the middle bit but she told me there were a bunch of tents pitched in the middle near the GPO. Not a great look to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

reading that I think it is fair and useful to know these things in advance the bit in that article which would put me off visiting the most is -

Dublin is a city famously fueled by spontaneity — but as it comes out of pandemic regulations, the city increasingly favors the prepared.

This is the new culture in Ireland that have to have everything planned, booked ect. No longer a Failte if you turn up at a bar, restaurant, cafe ...... you get a look of what are you doing here followed by a 'do you have a booking' even places which are not busy and should welcome customers. Part of it is a staffing issue I guess they do not know how to react or think on the spot.

I have not worked in that area however I always think they would take in more custom if it not done by booking as tables would be filled. I have seen places almost empty but table not offered due to bookings

And all the pro-dubs going on getting butt-hurt at any criticism. Ah shur we don't need guards, maybe even less guards on the street?

Tents of homeless, ah shur that's grand too. They're happy out.

Well I don't need guards, no. Where do you live? Do you think everywhere in Ireland needs more Garda or just Dublin? Isn't homelessness a nationwide problem in Ireland, or just Dublin?

I'm not particularly pro Dublin, I just live there sometimes, I just find it mad that the rest of Ireland seems to want to tell us here how bad we have it and how dangerous the place is. Some of us actually like living there.

• Advertisement

Some tourists don't seem to care about getting fleeced. How long has The Temple Bar been in business despite being infamous for charging waaaay above the average for drinks? But, as you say, there are bargains to be had. Maybe even some in Dublin.

Yep. Glad we could conclude one of these discussions definitively for a change. 👍

Some of them seem to think the county of Dublin is one giant Ballymun. Bring them out to Garristown and north county Dublin in general and blow their mind....

I am not informed as i have not being in Dublin centre for about 6 months, my info from friend who does business in Talbot st.

Discussions never end as people have different opinions. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Your nonsense "replies" and jibes at your "country" cousins have never rang more hollow "Emmet".

• Advertisement
Advertisement