Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Your understanding is, as usual, quite flawed. I lecture Business Administration, and sometimes courses related to CFA, usually Financial/Business Ethics. Although, it's true that I have taught Academic and Business English in the past. And, yes, I usually lecture in China, although I have also lectured in both S.Korea and Japan too.

I'm a lecturer, not a professor. Never claimed otherwise, and I have no interest in doing research.. I could refer you to papers I've had published, but I've no interest sharing my identity with posters on boards.

I love the attempt to discredit.. all the while trying to project the image of being reasonable and misunderstood. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hopefully you do. Probably a quote your well accustomed to.

Had a neighbor who was an ardent anti-vaxxer, heard it regularly from her, though we're all so used to her anti rants (5g, mobile phone masts, immigrants) that she's commonly referred to as "Auntie" now by everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

You can see it,we can see it.

You are aware of the "countries" above us in the list.

Its as obvious as the nose on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

You "had" a neighbour who "was" opposed to your views, did she move out from your virtue signaling cult de sac or what? Sounds like it, as you are addressing her in the past tense. Bit strange that you and "everyone" there would still be commonly calling her anything now that she has left. She must have left a mark.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You and questions you know you daren't try to answer...

... because you don't want to test your faith too hard with the answers. If they're honest ones. And pigs may get clearance from air traffic control. And I thought you had posted all these oh so cogent arguments in favour of your cause? Though it's so much easier to follow the catechism, hope for blind racism and post happy clappy snippets of your politic. Well it makes people feel good they're getting one over on the fascists with a sideorder of smug common to the faithful of any credo. But no honest answers.

I dunno why you're engaging tbh Klaz. Going on the evidence in black and white that poster wouldn't know a good faith argument if it fell on them from space wearing a Good Faith tee shirt on International Good Faith Day, screaming Good Faith! all the way down from orbit. Their recent posts are thunderingly banal longhand for "Because of your knotty questions I can't answer, you smell, and you live in a basement. Childless. And you're not a real professor(even though you never claimed you were)", because when going beyond bumper sticker "diversity is our strength" and having to defend it and having to think about it to do so, that's literally all they have.

Seeing as China has been brought up, there's an old Chinese proverb that fits: He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument. On that basis alone - and I must say I continue to be surprised given the hold this Absolute Truth of multiculturalism has with many* - we could have wrapped this thread up a half dozen pages in and declared the stronger argument with ease.

*If this thread had been titled: "What are your views on equality of women in Ireland", "What are your views on equality of Gay people in Ireland", "What are your views on the right for Choice in Ireland" or indeed: "What are your views on racism in Ireland" there would have been far more reasoned arguments on the "yay" side and it wouldn't be the "nays" that would come within an asses roar of carrying the day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So you would object to the iReport app since you don't believe in anecdotal evidence?

I wonder if some NGO would use the stats gathered to paint a picture of levels of racism in Ireland. Surely not based on anecdotal evidence?

You and questions you know you daren't try to answer.

That you think I need to is, interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That I think you can't is far more interesting.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That was a rather worrying exchange, seems no debate allowed on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It seems to be one of the very few sociopolitical subjects that's essentially out of bounds for acceptable public debate. Over the years since the clergy lost their power we've debated damned near everything and publicly too. Divorce was one, equal rights for women another and both were early out of the gate and in play even when cassocks were running the show. The rights of Gay people, SSM, Choice, all got and get their fair share of public back and forth. Today the Trans debate is out in the open with much back and forth, yays and nays and fecked if I knows. In each case things got heated, but debate was had and in most cases referendums came along and gauged and set the scene for Ireland going forward. Yet with the largest demographic and cultural shift in post independence Ireland it's remarkable how little it's been and being debated. More, it's essentially out of bounds.

Joining the Common Market and growing with the EU that followed, both debated and voted upon has had and continues to have widespread support among the electorate and that of course came with free movements of EU citizens, but of extra EU migration little has been spoken of it, beyond it's always a positive. One vote was had on that matter and the result was crystal clear, yet since that result there have been efforts by some in our political and NGO class to roll that back, something unthinkable save for a minority of cranks with the SSM/Repeal votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

He looked really scared if you ask me, they are scared that this will blow over sooner rather than later and they don't want to admit they caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A pantomime reaction to Nolan's reasonable points highlighting the impact on services posed by the large-scale influx of Ukrainian refugees & the increase in international protection applicants, alluding to the potential (well imminent) negative impact these issues will cause in the coming years. Ceann Comhairle O’Fearghail sat back and allowed for O'Brien to ask Nolan questions rather than answer the one that was put to him. That’s what he's there for, to answer questions. The entire government is completely blind to mass migration and negative impacts associated with it. The only risk to the social cohesion of Ireland are these infuriating, tone-deaf, incompetent, out-of-touch, and arrogant swines, who won’t suffer the consequences.

It was only a couple of days ago on Newstalk, Leo Varadkar suggested those who turn to nationalism, populism or euroscepticism as a political response to state policy which has made housing inaccessible "may lose their job as well as a house".

Ireland's capacity to provide even the bare minimum of emergency accommodation and shelter to its own citizens and those genuinely fleeing war is being severely undermined.

Far right nonsense of course……

When it agrees with the other side it's "anecdotal evidence", when it agrees with ours it's "early research shows...".

Well it looks like Ukraine is well on its way to full EU membership.

Granted they have years of work ahead of them to get things ready and change the relevant legislations, but they seem very eager so my guess is around 2035 we'll see another influx of counties into the EU.

RTE news : EU leaders to formally grant Ukraine candidate status

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That’s Ukraine who days ago, banned opposition parties?? Yeah, I don’t think we need to worry about them being in the EU any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I would be some laugh if they get in and become another Hungary or Poland. The lovers of Ukraine would very quickly become people who hate Ukraine.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Could it be that the rumblings of discontent from the voting pubic are starting to ring alarm bells in the higher echelons????

The population increase of 361,671 was made up of a natural increase (births minus deaths) of 171,338 and estimated net inward migration (population change minus natural increase) of 190,333

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

MM is posting about this with pride on Twitter. We're literally one of the most expensive countries in Europe, with one of the worst housing problems, yet he's all but gleeful about what's arguably one of the biggest sources of the problem. He's either a sociopath or he's so stupid that he can't join the dots. Either way, he's not fit to lead us.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Context is important

Medvedchuk was captured by Ukrainian law enforcement in April after he violated house-arrest restrictions and tried to flee to Russia.

The leader of the OPZZh, which advocated close ties with Russia, was arrested last year on charges of treason and terrorism financing.

Medvedchuk, who has vacationed with Putin and even made him the godfather of his child, is one of Ukraine's wealthiest individuals, with a fortune estimated at around $620 million by Forbes, including energy assets in Russia.

Ukraine placed sanctions on Medvedchuk in February 2021, freezing his assets, and took off the air three television stations it said belonged to him for promoting Russian propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Context is important. Medvedchuk is the leader of one party, the democratically elected main opposition one. They’ve banned another 10 also. 11 in total. Such democracy.

And how many of them are pro-Russian stooge parties?

All I'm guessing but I'll let you provide the details

So again, in that context, it's unsurprising parties supporting the invading forces are being banned

For once I agree with @[Deleted User] when in a state of war and even when not democracy doesn't allow for parties and actions that are detrimental to your country, bending over to foreign interests is still treason, during both peace and war. So maybe someone should send word to the Dail and government, to remind them that they have a duty to Ireland first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

An illegal migrant who was found working with false documents avoids prosecution gets probation and a work permit ! The Judge could not prosecute him as he was given a work permit !! .

https://i0.wp.com/graph.org/file/170a8b5a58bc9c12852d2.jpg?w=900&ssl=1

The housing stock increased by 6% since 2016, lagging behind a population growth of 7.6%

This was an additional 361,721 people, with more people migrating into the country (190,333) than were born here (171,338).

It'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Did it take 8 years for the case to come before the judge as he was discovered in 2014 or is this article from years ago?

I'm guessing it is from years ago. The date is conveniently absent from the top of the page

Advertisement