Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Except Conan never started until Stander retired. He was a fringe player until the day Stander said he was giving up.

And it wasn't a case of Stander never starting ahead of Heaslip, they were both starters from the day Stander became eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think the whole "his best position was 6, not 8" thing, is a load of nonsense. What's the difference other than where you bind to a scrum?

The key to an effective backrow is having balance, and a range of skill sets (carrying, breakdown, jackal, lineout, link play etc). Whether Stander wore 6 or 8 made no difference.

Ireland's 2018 backrow (POM/Leavy/Stander) worked for that reason. POM and Leavy were great at the breakdown and were good ball players. Stander and Leavy were great carriers and POM was great in the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He wasn't yet the player he is, because he wasn't getting game time ahead of Heaslip. Conan is a superior player now, than Stander ever was. As evidenced by him starting 3 Lions tests ahead of Falateau et Al, while Stander was packing his house up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Conan is a more skilled but injury prone player. Conan only has 115 caps for Leinster in 10 years. He's missed lots of time. Stander was a workhorse. Rarely injured and constantly playing at a high level. On the other hand, Doris may have got the nod at 8 with Stander at 6. I'd keep Conan. Doris has handling issues that need to be addressed.

In the bigger picture I would have a back row of Beirne, VDF and Conan. To me, Beirne is the best 6 on the island and is our best forward!

I wouldn't. We lost home and away to Ulster as well as the URC and European defeats that others have mentioned.

Also we were fortunate to have missed the away fixture in Montpellier where, I strongly suspect, a full-strength team might well have given our below strength team a right stuffing, á la La Rochelle.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And Stander was moved to 6 to accommodate Conan in his last season as well, which ultimately led to Conan becoming a test Lion.

Stander's ability to turnover ball in his final couple of years was exceptional, and he fitted in perfectly at 6. However, he didn't offer anywhere near the link threat that Conan did/does and teams were able to nullify him more often than not. I'm of the opinion that was a system failure rather than any knock against Stander. I said for years he needed to play 6 and Conan should play 8 because POM and VDF were not carrying threats.

In terms of skillsets, Conan offers more especially in attack. How anyone can deny that is beyond me but that's the nature of discussion forums. Conan regularly outclassed Stander when they came up against each other too.

Heaslip was on another level to both of them. Genuinely the most rounded and skilled Irish forward I've ever seen until his very last game when some of the unappreciative fools here were frothing at the mouth for him to be dropped.

He wasn't yet the player he is, because he wasn't getting game time ahead of Heaslip

Heaslip retired in March 2017, four years later Conan was still on the bench.

TBH I'm far from convinced that the Lions tour won't end up being an outlier in Conan's career trajectory. Faletau 2021 was a shadow of his younger self, likewise Billy Vunipola had fallen off a cliff and the guy Conan couldn't overtake for Ireland had retired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

In a team sport, particularly one like rugby with so many moving parts , I never understand the argument that player x “was outclassed when they came up against each other”.

Head-to-head records and the like don’t really tell us very much at all.

And Stander was moved to 6 to accommodate Conan in his last season as well, which ultimately led to Conan becoming a test Lion.

That isn't true either. Conan started one game in Stander's last season, and that was only because there was a raft of injuries to other guys. Fair play to him he took his chance brilliantly but what you said is not accurate.

So individual player performances don't matter now?

• Advertisement

Conan started alongside VDF and Stander with POM on the bench in that game.

We had one significant injury in James Ryan. Will Connors too but there was only ever one replacement for him

Who's being inaccurate now?

Ok, my apologies.

Individual player performances in the same game, on the same pitch and being played in the same conditions at the exact same time don't matter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sorry ignore this. I thought I'd stumbled upon a Ireland thread from a number of years ago. Silly me its the Leinster thread.

You’re conflating “his last season” with a solitary game here. That’s not “accommodating” Conan. That’s a fringe player coming in due to injuries.

You are.

You said Stander "was moved to accommodate Conan in his last season" - that isn't true. You also forgot that Doris was injured too and he was very much ahead of Conan in the pecking order.

Conan didn't feature at all for the first two matches, got less than 20 off the bench in rounds 3 and 4, and only in round 5 did he actually start. You have completely misremembered the situation.

Don't take my word for it, take Jack Conan's;

if I’m realistic, if James Ryan doesn’t pick up that knock and Tadhg (Beirne) doesn’t move into the second row, I don’t play and that’s probably deserved because, to be fair to Tadhg, Will (Connors) and CJ (Stander), they’ve gone incredibly well in the last few weeks and I’ve just been doing my part off the bench. If it wasn’t for the injuries, I wouldn’t have been involved.

Jack Conan excels for Ireland after finally getting his chance – The Irish Times

Would love to know about these mysterious injuries we had when all three back-rows who started against Wales in the first game of the Championship were all available for the England game.

You just going to ignore the fact that Conan was out injured for well over a year and was working his way back from injury when you make that assessment about 'the first two games'.

As I said, all three back-rowers who started the first game against Wales were available for the game against England, and Stander was moved to 6 to accommodate Conan, who went on to become a test Lion.

If the above isn't true, then why not start POM? That back-row had played together numerous times.

Some of the mental gymnastics at play here is genuinely very weird. I highlighted before that there's a weird thing here against Conan and there always has been. The facts are very simple, no matter what way you try to spin it.

EDIT: As for the quote, I would expect someone who is held in as high regard as Jack is to say something like that, but the facts are that POM was available and he was benched, and Stander was moved.

He didn't just start 'because of injuries'. They helped of course, like POM against England in 2017, but Conan, like POM earned his spot.

I mean, you’re literally ignoring what Jack Conan himself has said, and you want to talk about mental gymnastics?

Already addressed that in my edit there.

I see you've run away from your stupid take on how players can't be compared when they're playing against each other.

That's the type of disingenuous bad faith sh*te I was talking about which led to you 'leaving' a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I’ve very little interest in trading insults.

But the suggestion was that Stander was moved for his last season to accommodate Conan. He wasn’t. It happened in a solitary game, the last of the 6 Nations. Credit to Conan, he took his chance brilliantly, but that doesn’t change the facts.

Point out where I said 'for' his last season. I specifically said 'in' because that's a factually correct statement.

A back-row of POM, VDF and CJ was available against England. Farrell decided not to go with that, and moved Stander to accommodate Conan.

Those are the facts. Stander was moved to accommodate Conan despite POM being available. Why are you having such a difficult time acknowledging this?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Get used to it, it’s another three and a half months till the season starts (I’m open to correction) last season it was mid October before our first games. But if you watch French rugby they start mid August so only a month after All Blacks tour ends.

Speaking of which, my Now TV subscription ends soon enough and it has been a great purchase for the season. Are there hawkish people out there keeping their eyes peeled for season long deals?

In the interest of fairness, here's the original quote:

And Stander was moved to 6 to accommodate Conan in his last season 

I think that could be read as meaning more than a single game; I'm clearly not the only one who interpreted it that way. (And equally could be read as you seem to have intended i.e. at some point in the season).

My only point is that it happened for a single, solitary game. (I have no problem acknowledging that).

But in an argument on the merits of Stander vs Conan it's not exactly in Conan's favour as, in reality, it was POM that was dropped. (And it's pretty clear there were injuries also).

Conan took his chance brilliantly. I've acknowledged your point. But at no point was he ever ahead of Stander in the pecking order. Maybe you can acknowledge mine now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Devin Toner has been named at 4 for the Barbarians game against Spain on Saturday. Delighted for him.

Adam Byrne and Ed Byrne are also in the starting 15.

Dev really is one of the truly great unsung heroes. Spent most of his career being dismissed, certainly had his share of disappointment but delivered when it mattered and has some great achievements printed beside his name. Seems a likeable and respected individual also - will be a loss for Leinster but hopefully he stays involved with the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Make no mistake, this guy won't be costing pennies and has been brought in to play in big games next season. He'll really keep Ringrose on his toes, if he hits the ground running, it gives us the option to move Henshaw out to his best position and still have a seriously strong centre pairing. From a physicality point of view, Ngatai/Henshaw is as strong a pairing as any.

Fascinated by what this means for Frawley. Leo and Stuart clearly don't trust him in the big games. I reckon he'll play more at 10, but if not, I'd say he will regret signing that new deal. But I think we could see a midfield of Frawley/Ngatai/Henshaw at least once next season, which is exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He will make a great bench option for the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exactly. There is absolutely no way in hell that the IRFU have signed off on a guy to replace one of the three most likely starting Irish centres in the RWC. That won’t be allowed and isn’t what he has been signed for.

• Advertisement

Hard to believe IRFU signed off on a deal that benches one centrally contracted player and moves another out of position

Edit: what molloyjh says

Advertisement