Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellowing grass questions

Options
  • 21-06-2022 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

Sowed a new lawn in April/May 2021 and its been fairly OK since but the last few weeks every time I've cut it I'm noticing more and more yellowy patches appearing like I'm scalping it but the lawn is always cut on the highest setting. I've fertilised/fed all through the seasons with seasonal feeds where necessary but I'm a bit confused as to what to do now. I don't want to use the all in one type products bit will if I have to...

Attached a pic or 2, would love and appreciate some feedback and help. Don't mind cutting it often I just want it green

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm not an expert but that happened to mine before. It turned out there wasn't enough topsoil and it got really bad in hot weather. A few hot days and it was completely scorched. In the end I got another landscaper in to rotivate it, remove the old grass, add more topsoil and reseed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Thanks for the reply but when I resowed it last year I killed off what was there, rotavated after a few weeks, got 40 tonnes of top soil and levelled off everywhere as best I could (wheelbarrow and shovel I might add) and the sowed the grass so I'm hoping it's not that anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Hopefully it's just a combination of the recent heat and wind drying out the ground.

I'm sure more knowledgeable posters will have better advice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Are you bagging your clippings?

How often do you mow?

What height is you mower set?

what grass seed did you use?

can you take a close up photo on the effected area

Clippings are bagged and dumped next door away from the grass

Mowing approx twice a week lately. Once every 5 days to be more accurate

Germinal leisure lawn seeds were used

Height of deck at setting 7 on new stiga 2398hw mower which is approx 80mm

Thanks folks

• Advertisement

Pics to give an idea of what's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

One thing I noticed is the grass seed you used is made up of 60% Dwarf Perennial rye grass which is cool season grass with very shallow roots.

Dwarf Perennial rye grass stands out in Spring and Autumn and can go dormant as soon as the temperatures heat up.

With the shallow roots there may be a watering issue also that the roots can’t reach the water deep down.

If it was me, I would look into overseeding the lawn with Creeping Red Fescue, Chewings Fescue and Bentgrass mix which will be more tolerant to weather conditions.

just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Nitrogen deficient maybe

Thanks a mill guys much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Is twice a week not too much? Especially in the hot weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not when there's plenty of growth. In fact it's better than less frequent mowing removing more growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Interesting. We are supposed to get non stop rain for the next few days so I was contemplating cutting the grass tonight (haven't in 2 weeks). I might do it so

I cut it at the highest setting rather than cutting it lower and risking scalping the grass. Was always told to remember the 3rd rule, never cut more than a 3rd of the length in one go. And to be honest the growth is mental at times so it needs it

Hopefully this burst of rain will help with the patches anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Is it possible a family member or neighbour is urinating on the grass as a prank or lazy approach if the WC is too far away?

They'd want to have been very particular and pee in the exact spots at least three tines within a relatively short period to do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dogs - more-so bitches - can cause patches though, its not inevitable, but possible. I would guess there is a patch of poor soil under the yellow grass though, some concrete waste or similar possibly.

No urine anyways, there's a wc at the garage and there's just the wife and I here, no pets

There was areas of poor soil before I renovated the lawn and that's why i got all new top soil so that shouldn't really be the case now but you'd never know!

Had some 10-10-20 there so gave it a light feeding on the yellowy patches and I'm going to leave it for a week or so before cutting. Hopefully all this rain will help

You'd be better with something like 7-6-17 with a trace of sulfur, to green it up. 10-10-20 just causes extreme growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I've heard the sulfur can be very bad for pets' paws. Does anyone know more about this or know how long pets would have to be kept off the lawn? I could do with getting something for greening my lawn, I also have mottled yellow patches, but we have dogs.

Not in the quantity in the likes of 7-6-17 C1%. As with all granular fertilisers it's recommended to keep children and pets off for 24 hours after it is watered in.

• Advertisement

Is the nitrogen part of the fertiliser not what makes the green? I'd already spread a bit of 10 10 20 in places by the time I saw the reply, seems to have helped a bit anyways but I'd say it's probably the deluge of rain that really helped!!! Only cut today and looks much better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP give it a dose of the Groundsman's friend Iron Sulphate. I rarely say this but if you are cutting as often as you say I'd go down a couple of notches so you are at around 60mm, but don't do it in one go do it notch at a time over several cuts.

I'd give you chapter and verse on Iron Sulphate but this website http://www.ironsulphate.co.uk/blog/iron-sulphate/iron-sulphate-for-lawns-how-to-use-ferrous-sulphate-on-grass/ has all the info and necessary warnings. Basics are a little will green the grass, a bit more will green the grass and kill all the moss and you may not want a lot of dead black moss in the lawn - removing it is a lot of effort.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Granulated lime, is it silage or grass you are after?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep that was the answer, as mentioned above the ryegrass was causing the yellowing. Feeding will encourage the finer grasses to thrive (and eliminate the clover).

Thanks everyone

Hi all just a little update

After feeding a plenty of rain the green colour is back. There's clover in the lawn alright but since applying the 10 10 20 the grass is growing out like mad so more often cutting required but don't mind that. Hopefully clover will be gone soon

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Advertisement