Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

PCP is very inflexible, as you are effectively leasing the car, and not owning it.

You would have to pay off VW Bank 1st, before any “reasonable” person would buy it off you, so you’d have to finance that significant repayment yourself, either by another loan, or, your own cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not true at all. If I was buying a car that someone had out on PCP I'd transfer the settlement figure directly to VW (available on VWFS) and the balance to the seller. The seller can watch me do these transfers to know they are done and we can then sign the log book. Simple. People love to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

You can do that, its not something i’d be interested in doing personally, youre also assuming here, that the settlement figure, is lower than the private sales price, which would not necessarily, always be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ok but you said PCP is inflexible when it's not but rather you being inflexible.

As for your example, with the way the price of second hand cars are gone it's unlikely that the settlement is higher than what the seller is looking for and you've agreed. If that did happen it's probably because the car has been damaged/crashed etc and you would be better walking away.

If it was a genuine reason that the settlement was higher the seller could transfer the difference between the selling price and what you are buying for to the finance company and then it's cleared.

Its inflexible in terms of you, cannot unilaterally increase or decrease monthly payments, none of us know whats around the corner, and the next corner looks likely to be a major recession.

With PCP, you could have the car taken from you if you miss a payment, thats not the case with many other forms of finance, and they lock you into pre- agreed mileage, and are also designed to lock you in indefinitely, to keep topping up, as that baloon payment comes due.

Its a personal choice, each to their own, and my choice is, they are definitely not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

None of us know what's around the corner but when something was around the corner with Covid, VW Bank offered a 3 month break to people, worst case scenario someone loses their job just sell the car, give VW what they're owed and hopefully keep something for themselves. All loans are a risk.

They aren't designed to lock you in any more than any other loan. The ability to use equity and roll into another new car is certainly useful for those that want it, if you walk away you lose equity but you also don't have to pay the full value of the finance. If you don't want to get another car just keep it, refinance the balloon payment and drive til the wheels fall off.

Who's going to take your car if you miss a payment? How is PCP any different to other loans for non-payment?

The mileage thing isn't really an issue either, if you end up doing more than 60,000km in 3 years the 6c/km just reduces your equity. You'll have decent equity in a VW, I'd have to have been 75,000km over in my Golf to lose my equity. You could also keep the car then it won't effect you.

Off topic for the thread I know, but the same arguments come up all the time against PCP as if it isn't just another type of finance. It's a car loan with flexibility and multiple options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well iM delighted with my 0% pcp on a car that is appreciating in value anyway. The only thing is I wouldn’t know what to replace it with. I wouldn’t want to give up the matrix headlights and travel assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Does the Business ID4 make the grant cut (it is 60k) ? The 174hp at €53,930 on the road

Business 204hp at €55,465 on the road, both are well below the 60k cut off ?

I have a family member currently looking at one so it would be good to know that the price is actually the price, bit off id3 topic I know, apologies, the whole grant thing can be very confusing 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

It look as though it does, as I understand it the pre grant price cannot go over €60K including delivery etc. VW look to be adding delivery afterwords which is cheating a bit? Worth checking with VW

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I checked with the dealer, the business trim is still under threshold (if you can thust them). The finance rate is 4.9% which is a killer. I think he calculatesd the finance cost for me over 3 years and it was eye-watering €5.8k. I'm sorry but they take a run and jump with this amount of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I think the days of 0% pcp are well and truly gone for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised ID cars are 5.9%, Cupra are 2.9%. Wasn't 0% only during the pandemic to get sales? Pretty sure the ID.3 was normally 1.9%.

Either way VW have always been lousy with their electric stuff, the Golf GTE and eHybrid were always 4.9% and it would take off the cost incentive. Ideally they'd do 0% on electric stuff to make themselves look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

I presumed that the Grant was only on a first time EV purchase..A future second EV purchase was not eligible for another Grant..????

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

So Buy as many EV's as you want in the future, and get a grant for each one..?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

There's no restriction on getting a grant for a second (or even third) EV. The only thing to be careful of is if you are a sole trader or farmer, you would have to talk to your accountant as, depending on any other government aid you have received, you may end up in breach of the EU de minimis funding limits.

The grant is with the car, so yes you can buy as many as you want new and avail of the grant for each car. The next owner doesn't get a grant, it has already been given to that car.

Was happy to report yesterday that after a new update the dreaded pulsating led halo wallbox pulsar plus can now be turned off. What I wasn't happy to find is that the car was charging at 1.4kW (9-10km/h). Checked today that the problem is not on the car side, but reduced charging option was off and the car was charging at 11kW on a 22kW esb unit. No errors on the charger, 32A set in the charger app. Wrote to wallbox, waiting a reply. At the moment its faster to charge on granny cable.

The new id.4 price guide is out and it confirms that the dealership don't know their own prices. ID.4 family 204 hp is now €60465 as it lost its grant. The dog slow 174hp version (10.4s to a 100) ia now €53930. So the difference is €6535. No more 204hp versions with matrix lights with grant available. They are also now started quoting 174hp in their "ID.4 equipment hightlights" section. Cheeky

• Advertisement

Yes, I think they thought that by adding the delivery etc afterwards that they would get away with the grant. Bit cheeky. I wonder if you negotiate the price will the grant be included? Think probably not, as grant is on list price incl delivery and extras.

Reduced charging isn't set is it ? thought it still seems low for single phase, you can check from the app.

It's not on. It's def the charger as I charged overnight with granny cable which was faster than with the charger at the moment. Customer care said to reset the charger from the app, but I haven't managed to that as simply nothing happens.

Did you try turning off the charger for a while at the circuit breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

The tec version of the ID.4 is up by 11% (about 7K) and the Max up by 10K -was going to be looking to trade in the ID.3 this month but don't think i will be now; going to start looking at the Telsa as that is the same price as the Model Y

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

I came home from hols last week and there was a red error LED on my pulsar plus. Killing it at the breaker and leaving it for a few hours usually fixes it for long enough to get a charge before it fails again. Wallbox tried to get me to restore from the app but same thing nothing happens. Initially I was dealing with them by email but got impatient and called them, new unit being sent to me under warranty. So if you find them slow by email just call. Assuming a simple breaker reset doesn't resolve your problem.

I can’t really find any numbers to call them, do you still have it by any chance? Their 1st email mentions a chat to but it doesn’t exist. if they are sending you a replacement, who is going to pay for electrician or will be doing yourself? Thanks

I’ll do it now but I’m 100% sure it’s software related and @McHonda just confirmed that you can’t actually do a factory reset. Will keep pressure on the customer service, they are pretty useless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Sent you a DM there @Rusky rusky

• Advertisement

Tried that, left for a few hours. Still charges at 1.4kW. Haven't succeeded to restore the charger to the previous version either.

Advertisement