Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its still all paid with through tax.

if you can't get the staff you'll have to cut services. So which ones do you not want. if they can't get the staff for critical services, it will be out sourced and that will be even more expensive.

did you not type this word for word yesterday?

its nobodys job in here to tell you the exchequer budget for next year regardless of your insistence that interest rates are real but inflation isnt and that a government should be run along the lines of a company or a household

genuinely no more dismissal of this type of screed is required but please please please learn what the **** return key is for on your keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭fliball123

so we should just bend over and pay right? you never answered it and it should be the governments job to let the public know how this will be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

but goods are now less expensive then they were when you received it

Nope, not unless there's deflation. A slower rate of price increases is still price increases.

Scrap the cap!

If you to being an adult without knowing how tax and govt borrowing works, no amount of explaining will understand it for those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m sorry, I thought I had explained it in the simplest terms I could. Rates of inflation/deflation are economic terms used to measure the changes in the prices of goods when compared to the same period last year. Disinflation on the other hand is a slowing in the rate of inflation, often temporary. So inflation may be 8% this month, but 7% next month, that is not deflation as goods are still higher than they were at the same time 12 months ago (Inflation remained unchanged June/July 21). So if your wage is increased to match inflation this month and disinflation occurs, your money is worth more next month than this month, using Fred’s logic, you get an effective pay rise even though you don’t get an actual pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

10% over 5 years. Money is worth nearly 10% less now as it is. I hope people in all sectors go all the way in these pay talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

I think you've confused which inflation is too be matched.

If annual inflation is 7% then at the end of the year you need €107 to match the value of €100 at the start of year. Hence the call for pay rises to match annual inflation, so as to avoid an effective pay cut.

Once prices increase via inflation they do not decrease without deflation.

A pay rise of 7% this year does not mean wages would increase the following year.

If, the next year, inflation dropped to 4%, then you would now need €111.28 to match the value of €100 the first year.

You 're new wages would now be effectively diminished again

I think you're thinking of month-on-month inflation which, I agree, should not be linked to pay increases.

Nonsense.

So (chance would be a fine thing) in July I get a pay increase which matches the rate of price increases in the last year. Then in August the 12 month year-on-year rate of inflation is less, so what? It doesn't mean that prices fell in August, just that they increased less than they did in July of last year (which is now out of the 12-month year on year figure). They still went up, just less than they had been, but any price increase is on top of the previous increases. This is what you are ignoring.

Of course in reality pay deals don't match inflation and there's a huge lag between price rises and pay rises so workers end up worse off on the double.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jesus wept.

Prices remained relatively stable this time last year May to September, inflation averaged 2% so July and August this year have the same comparative baseline. If the rate of inflation drops in August, then yes, it does mean prices have fallen in August compared to July this year.

You are either incorrect or explaining yourself poorly. I think it's former.

Annual inflation indicates how quickly prices of goods and services HAVE risen over the year. It has happened.

Zero or low inflation means these prices remain stable.

These prices will only go down again with deflation. This much rarer in developed economies than inflation.

@Dav010 Hang on, I've re-read your posts.

You are saying that if the PS received a 9% pay increase to match 9% month on month inflation, then if the following month's inflation is only 4%, they have received an effective pay rise higher than that which matches inflation.

But many people are calling for a wage increase to match annualised inflation. This is quite different.

Regarding month on month inflation, if it's 9% in July and 4% in August this does NOT mean goods are cheaper in July than August.

That depends on the difference on price between July and August the previous year.

But I think I do finally grasp @Dav010 's point. It's just not terribly relevant to the case in point - how close should any public pay increase match annual inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Jaysus. I've been paying into a pension since I was 22. Free money inessence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I would say because starting salaries are already so far behind market rates in private sector. The increments reflect a slow approach to catch up to market rates in private sector. I'd be all for abandoning increments and just start me on what maket rate is now.

Without such increments your expecting people to start on ridiculously low salaries than what they can get in private sector just because you feel they should be so charitable?

I suggest you lower your expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Posters here saying the public sector workers would be taking an effective paycut if they took the government offer of 7% (though they like to say 5% and ignore the incremental yearly increases they already get) over the next 2 years. Do you honestly think the workers in the public sector are getting increases greater than inflation across the board? Do you really think businesses can afford that? Do you actually think its a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

The other thing is that the public sector couldn't actually afford its work force at private sector rates. My hourly rate (6 years ago) in the private sector was €325 p/h. The State couldn't afford that and nor should it pay it.

Look at the calibre of A/Secs, POs, APs, and AOs in certain departments. They'd be (or have been) on multiples of their current wage in the private sector.

The State gets these people at a lower rate because of their patriotism. They're happy to earn a fraction of their private sector wage, but there is a limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He’s also about ten years out of date with his understanding of how PMDS works. You’d think that he’d do some basic research on the topic that he bangs on about endlessly.

7% over two years is waaaay behind inflation. Also there is a huge number of people at the top of their pay scales, no increments for them.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

They have no concept of time in grade. Recruitment embargos. Grade quotas etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

So what would us Public Servants settle for?

15 percent over 2 years? Strike if it doesn't happen?

ive a feeling a reasonable deal will be struck for about 5% this year and 3% next and some elements of that split more favourably towards CO/EO

increments and pay restoration irrelevant because they are already our terms and conditions - but we all know that, right

I assume it will be pushed back so when it comes to action them, we'll be in economic crisis and it can be stalled again. Isn't that what usually happens. Lag just enough so its never appropriate to act on it.

This would be great but I'd say it's unlikely. It would be good to weigh any increase toward this year rather than next though, given the unknowns regarding the economy next year.

In fact, I'd nearly prefer the unions to take an early deal now rather than hold out for something higher later that might not happen.

3.5 / 4 % this year, with a top-up next year, would float my boat!

Any sign of negotiations restarting, by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not sure about that tbh. I think any deal will have to be across the board. Point 5 of the HEO is 56700. It's good money but not great either though for the responsibility that goes with the role.

i dont disagree with you, ive raised the same point earlier in the thread alright, but id still say there'll be an element of that in it

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

It's more than twice what a CO starts on.

COs deserve a huge increase. If they rent a room in Dublin the rent is around 50% of their take home pay. Crazy.

Advertisement