Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are making things up out of nowhere. Noone is calling for boggender or staticgender on identity documents. Absolutely noone is. One Eyed Jack isnt. No trans activist is. No LGBT activist is. No Non binary person is. Supporting legal recognition of non binary identity does not mean supporting boggender or staticgender on identity documents. It doesn't mean what you say it means. Noone is asking for it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Extending the GRA to include non-binary identities opens the legal pathway for anyone to identify with any term they wish.

The xenogenders that I mentioned exist, and some people refer to themselves as that.

I'm highlighting those specific examples to show the ramifications of self-identification when it's given carte blanche on the statute books.

And other countries have already permitted non-binary self-ID; so stop pretending this doesn't exist because it does exist.

But this is more of a quandary for TRAs because, by not openly supporting non-binary identities in the same way, it means there exists a two-tier system of rights within the trans- circle: self-ID rights which are afforded to m-to-f and vice versa trans- people, and non-binary people who don't have that right.

If you have some proof of people going around with official passports or drivers licence with boggender or staticgender please do provide it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You keep missing the point.

Why are they denied the right to legally self-identify as that, as trans- people, whereas you seem only interested in self-ID for m-to-f trans people and vice versa.

Surely it should be all or none?

If you believe that trans- rights are human rights, it entails that you should support this.

If you think that trans people are divided into two: one with that right and one without that right, what are you basing that distinction on?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

What rights are denied to people who identify as non-binary that would be granted to them if they were allowed to legally identify as non-binary (other than the right to have their non-binary status recognised)?

What do you think of the court's opinion that the applicants' gender was "a biographical detail which can be used to confirm their identity." If this decision is upheld by the EHCR, will it mean that a transman/transwoman won't have M/F down as their sex on their passport?

I think that the GRA needs to be revisited, with the aim of ensuring the act serves the needs of both trans people and society as a whole. The rights of an individual should not unduly impinge on the rights of society as a whole. Given that, I would say that:

1 What adults choose to do to themselves is their own business, but the state has a requirement to protect some individuals from themselves. To ensure this, any adult who chooses to transition should be doing so in an environment where there is adequate support and where they have been fully informed and processed the result of their transition. Any adult who wishes to transition should engage with some sort of therapy which encourages them to question the motivation for their decision, and to have realistic expectations for the outcome. I have seen a number of trans activists on twitter complaining that lesbians don't want to date them. No matter how much equality legislation exists, it will never be possible to tell someone that they have to be have sex with a trans person. This is not advocating for conversion therapy, but any legislation outlawing conversion therapy needs to recognise that a good therapist will invite a client to challenge their own opinions. It is only by challenging them that a decision that is true to the person can be made. It will either eliminate the desire or completely confirm it.

2 Children need to be protected. This requirement for therapy is even more necessary for children. Also, permanent transition options (hormonal or surgical) should not be available to those under 18. Children, while adjusting to changing hormonal levels and while becoming more aware of their own sexuality are more prone to making decisions that they may regret in future. Adults who make that decision are more likely to have fully considered the outcomes of their actions.

3 In order to protect society in general, and women, children and the trans community in particular, it should not be possible for anyone convicted of violent or sexual crime, or awaiting trial for same, to transition. It is in the interests of society that dangerous people cannot hide who they are (on an aside, I believe that our rules on name changes in general should be overhauled to prevent dangerous criminals hiding who they are). For the trans community, rules like this would hopefully reduce some of the fear-mongering about (mostly MtF people) going into bathrooms of the opposite sex.

4 People who have transitioned should, where possible, avoid using open changing rooms where there is a private cubicle option. As an example of this - in the swimming pool closest to me, there are open changing rooms for men and women, and also about 40 cubicles (about 10 for families and 30 for individuals). Single sex areas should, where possible, remain as safe spaces for that sex. Women in general don't want to see a penis when getting ready to go to the gym, and they shouldn't be forced to. Also, given the current approach of trans activists of screaming and shouting "transphobe" if anyone dares to question them, there is the possibility that people who are not actually trans will claim to be (I don't mean will apply for a GRC, but will just say that they are and shout transphobe at anyone who questions them) in order to gain access to female only spaces. I have a major problem with a quote from Regina Doherty in the Scottish Houses of Parliament, where she said "The prison thing, the shared dressing room spaces and the school toilets were the three things that came up in the jurisdictions that we looked at. But again the incidences were so minute." While they number of incidences may be small, for each individual who something happens to, it is a major problem. The state has a responsibility to ensure their guidelines and practices reduce the risk as much as possible.

5 In general, in sports, trans-athletes should not compete against their new legal gender. This is primarily for reasons of safety and fairness, as there are significant physiological differences between biological males and females that persist even after transition. There are already issues with the levels of participation of women in sports, and it is important that trans inclusion does not further reduce that. There are some sports where the differences are less than others, and those sports should be allowed to set their own requirements. I think that this isn't a change as such, but does need to be highlighted.

6 A lot of the debate about "removing women from legislation" could be eliminated by having clauses in the GRA which define where the gender/biological sex are the relevant characteristic (e.g. in medical related issues, biological sex is more relevant than gender)

These points only apply to MtF or FtM trans, not to intersex or the non-binary/other genders, which I feel also need to be looked at, but are different issues.

• Advertisement

So no evidence then. You literally have nothing to back your point up. No evidence anyone is asking for it. No evidence it exists (people legally recognised as xenogender). There is no substance to your argument at all. None. You are making up things up out of nowhere.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The entire T community is a minuscule number (regardless whether that encompasses 9, 99, 999... genders). Again, the mystery is why anyone believes the motivations of our institutions when they pretend to care about such a tiny community.

Do you accept that there exists in society a two-tiered system of rights for trans- people:

• male to female trans people (and vice versa) who have the legal right to self-identify as their chosen gender
    • non-binary people who don't have the legal right to self-identify as their chosen gender

On what basis does the trans- movement argue that this two-tiered system of trans rights is justified?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't know whether you hold either as my passport lists my sex, not my gender, and my driver's licence doesn't list it at all. You may need to request some alternative "official" documents to satisfy your requirements - otherwise your point is moot.

I don't accept your argument that legal recognition of non binary means having passports for boggender. Have you an example of someone with an official boggender passport

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

With respect, that wasn't the question in my post.

Irish passports list a trans person's preferred gender. Noone is requesting official documentation with boggender. Noone is asking for it. Noone is providing it. It's an invention @eskimohunt made out of thin air.

Terry Pratchet

Irish passports list a trans person's preferred gender.

And if someone's preferred gender is non-binary, then...?

You claim legally recognising non binary persons will mean official ID will need to be released for boggender or staticgender people. Please do provide the proof of your claim.

Terry Pratchet

So you can have your preferred gender on your passport....

Well you can if it is the same genders that refer to sex. Otherwise you can't ask for it. Because its not recognised.

Do you accept that there is an inherent bias in the trans advocate community who give preferential treatment/attention to m-f/f-m transpeople?

Then what. Identifying as non binary doesn't mean you can legally identify as boggender which you claim.

Terry Pratchet

Irish passports officially recognise trans binary persons yes.

Terry Pratchet

You are not answering any of my points or questions, but are responding to my posts with questions and sarcasm.

I think what I've concluded is this: that Sex is Gender when it's convenient.

So in the case of passports, TRAs will say, "Passports reflect the person's preferred gender". In this case, gender actually means Sex; male or female.

But when you talk about why non-binary people cannot have their chosen gender on passports - which can be anything at all such as demigender or neutrois or any of the others - they go silent. All of a sudden the argument about "their right to a chosen gender on passports" goes out the window.

So, actually, this is just sleight of hand: using gender to mean sex whenever it's convenient, and throwing the logic away when it comes to non-binary identities.

I might take your posts seriously if you could actually provide evidence that people are looking for official ID for boggender or staticgender. You can't do that so...... yeah as I said you just made it all up.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, at least you've expressed an opinion on the matter and have no objection to the GRA being extended to non-binary people. But that means supporting having identities, such as staticgender and boggender, on identity documents. To me, that goes too far.

It doesn’t mean any such thing, so you can relax, as nobody is calling for 99 genders to be recognised in Irish law. What is being called for, is extending recognition of the right to their gender identity to people who identify as non-binary; ie people who do not identify with the concept of a gender binary which refers to masculine/feminine, male/female. This is what being in possession of a Gender Recognition Act actually does -

18. (1) Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman.

The only people who are suggesting their falsified arguments are going too far, are the people who are claiming current legislation goes too far already,

For what it's worth, I don't believe that such an extension should manifest. Instead, I'd think it better to repeal and replace the act with legislation that is balanced between the demands of trans activists and the legitimate concerns of the general public - most notably how this kind of legislation impacts women. 

It’s worth nothing, but that hasn’t stopped you from expressing your opinions! The whole point of the GRA was to address the previous lack of recognition everyone’s right to their gender identity. What you’re referring to is YOUR concerns, not the concerns of the general public, not the concerns of trans activists, and certainly not how this kind of legislation in any way impacts women. They are concerns that you have invented, nothing more, and they are not legitimate concerns. Legitimate concerns in each and every single case are addressed in the Courts, and are a matter for the Courts to determine which rights apply, and which rights are in conflict, in any individual case.

The GRA opened up a smorgasbord of unintended consequences that were not foreseen at the time, but which are having an impact now.

It didn’t. The consequences were foreseen, and the only impact they are having now is that people can apply for a gender recognition certificate which allows them to be recognised in Irish law as their preferred gender. You’re attempting to make issues where they don’t exist, same as you’re doing in complaining about people who don’t campaign to have 99 genders recognised in Irish law are somehow being hypocritical and inconsistent, as though you’re not an inconsistent hypocrite at all by calling for the repeal of everyone’s right to their gender identity as recognised in Irish law already because it doesn’t go far enough, and if it did, it would be going too far…

Beam in your own eye there horse 🤨

• Advertisement

Do you accept that sex and gender are at least different things?

My passport says Sex: _____________.

Not Gender.

So passports shouldn't list anyone's "preferred gender", but should instead display the person's biological sex.

Moreover, if it's good enough for a non-binary person (who says they're neither Male nor Female) to have male or female stated, then there is no reason why that logic cannot apply to trans men and trans women, too.

But not as genders, but as Sex - as displayed in our passports.

I accept the law officially allows a person to have their preferred binary gender legally recognised on their passport. I don't accept that people are looking for boggender passports. Noone is looking for that. You made it up.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Does anyone know why we have it on our passports?

More of the same.

No engagement, just tangents.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I'm thinking we remove sex/gender from passports altogether. And replace with height. As I'd rather they measure my height than check out the other thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Ridiculous. Human rights activists do not campaign on every issue. And some eejits come along and go "how can you be a human rights campaigner if you don't campaign for X, Y, Z".

Same with feminists or gay rights campaigners. Someone will always come along and be like "but what about women in Africa, why aren't you campaigning for them".

It's a little sad that you try and claim passion and caring for a particular issue as dispassion and disdain for another issue. It could only come from someone who is passionate about nothing and resentful of people who care about issues.

Why would it be inconsistent for a trans rights activist to not ask for all genders to be legally recognised? When the individuals who identify as those genders are not asking for legal recognition of them, why would someone who campaigns for transwomen to be recognized as women and trans men to be recognized as men campaign for it. Would be a little silly.

Let me be very clear. Campaigning and caring about an issue does not commit anyone to holding a position on any other issue. Not campaigning for an issue does.not mean you hold a negative or disdainful opinion about that issue. The only people who interpret it that way are passionless snarks who want everyone to be as empty and snarky as they are.

Of course it.makes sense. These are the two groups looking for legal recognition.

It would be the equivalent of someone saying that gay rights are human rights, but for legislation to only apply to lesbians.

In other words, if you are committed to trans rights, you can't suddenly decide which trans people get the right and which do not. All are trans- and all get the right or none at all.

• Advertisement

I look forward to your campaign so I can learn more about it.

Advertisement