Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension age PC needs help.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It does sound like the AIO is dead, either a dead pump or it's jammed. Still easy enough to replace it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Find the source of the overheating. Get a compatible air cooled heatsink off Adverts and put it in, with new thermal paste.

It could be as simple as just renewing the thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭HorseSea

I assume I look for one with LGA 2011 socket type?

Could not find anything reasonable on Adverts. Would this do from Amazon?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No, that's Chinese junk with a 92mm fan.

Get a Thermalright Peerless Assassin PA120 or Gelid Solutions Phantom.

Make sure to wipe off old thermal paste before installing new cooler - cotton buds are great, isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol makes the job easier.

Thanks, I have ordered the Gelid Solutions one. I will let you know how I get on. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

• Advertisement

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Gelid Black Phantom arrived today and I looked at a couple of videos on YouTube which really put me off doing it myself, but I did and it went like a dream, didn't find it fiddly or difficult. Fan clips are a pain but once you get the idea they work perfectly.

Up and running again within an hour and it is so silent, I can't hear it. Temps are 29/30c with normal use. I tried a render with DaVinci AND a neural filter in Photoshop at the SAME time and times never rose above 51, either process separately killed PC within seconds. Tried AOE II DE as well and temps hardly rose at all. Again, PC would have crashed previously.

So sorry I didn't come here earlier to post the problem and get the solution, all for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's great to hear!

You can probably repurpose the AIO's fans for case intake/exhaust if you want to prevent landfill, though the main rad+pump should go into recycling (I wonder if the metal is worth much?)

I will keep the fans, I was thinking of putting them back in, but I didn't have the hardware, they were held in using the same bolts as the rad and with that gone they would not fit now. Anyway there are four other fans in the there and with new CPU fan it's not even getting warm in there :-)

Interesting that I cut the pipes on the AIO to see how much water there was, there was about 2 teaspoons full!!! No wonder the chip was heating up when under pressure. I guess the water cooler last the best part of nine years, so can't complain.

Advertisement