Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Thats true,also the mobilized troops of the seperatists LPR/DPR have lost 55% of their mobilized force allready,and Putin is doing a silent mobilization in the poor regions in the east of Russia,where nobody asks questions,in case of protests elsewhere.

Ukrainian officials stated that Russian forces have already committed about 330,000 servicemen to their invasion of Ukraine without conducting partial or full-scale mobilization in Russia. Ukrainian General Staff Main Operations Deputy Chief Oleksiy Gromov stated that Russian forces grouped 150,000 servicemen into battalion tactical groups (BTGs) and other formations and involved additional 70,000 troops from air and sea elements, with the remaining personnel staffing non-combat support units.[6] Gromov noted that Russian forces committed more than 80,000 servicemen of the mobilized reserve, up to 7,000 reservists of the Russian Combat Army Reserve (BARS-2021), up to 18,000 members of the Russian National Guard (Rosguardia), and up to 8,000 troops from private military companies. Gromov did not specify if Ukrainian officials included information about forcibly mobilized servicemen in the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics (DNR and LNR) in these numbers.

This means Russia have allready sent 400 000+ troops to fight against Ukraine,and it also means they have sustained heavy losses

50% of this force is in Severnodonetsk at the moment,the rest is spread to the north around Kharkiv and south around Kherson.

Ukraine is basically outnumbered in the east in both manpower and artillery but still manages to hold their lines,allthough they had to move away today and restreat further west in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The very fact that Ukrainian forces are able to conduct fighting withdrawals in what seems to be good order under the level of artillery fire we're seeing in some places is remarkable. That's a tough maneuver to pull off at the best of times, and the situation in Donbas is hardly the wargames room in a military academy. Granted, we tend to only see the "good" news make it out into social media but between their ongoing high morale, working logistics, their "Artillery as a Service" approach with GIS-Arta and other news, the Ukrainians are turning out to be much more of an effective fighting force than I think even they themselves thought possible. If Ukraine had equal artillery and air assets available, Russia would be in deep, deep trouble.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Whatever about doing what was right for Germany she certainly wasn't bothered about doing what was right for Europe. The German brass never are. Same goes for the french. They do whats right for them regardless of the implications for the smaller economies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not exactly much of a shocker that states will, in general, look after their own interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, the Brexit guys seemed to strongly dislike her for being too EU centred (they probably would have admired her if she had been the German nationalist you describe).

Also, she was one of those who warned in 2006 about Germany becoming too reliant on Russian energy, but received very little support domestically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Another interesting story and if we get out of 2nd gear we might be able to do something about all that dodgy business.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Unfortunately, that is now the problem. Now that Russia has been able to bring in military hardware in big amounts they can defend their positions better. It is looking like Ukraine will need to go with the original plan and use jets. That or put those simi-long-range rocket systems to very good use. I am thinking they will push for the jets as they can do more work. what jets can they get? is the question. I must wonder if China is helping Russia with providing tech support in an increasing manner. Russia is getting help from somewhere!

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

it is sickening that we even have a Russian embassy in this country. A property that was purchased and maintained with blood money by a regime who deal in and export theft, torture and wholesale murder. And this is known and internationally recognised and accepted by our politicians.

if any of us here as much as stole a bar of chocolate we would face consequences if caught.

Yet this Russian regime can tear people apart limb by limb and still operate their f***ing embassy here. Sickening.

What a sick world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At this stage all Russian diplomats should be expelled and we should recall our own embassy. Russia is a gangster fascist dictatorship, it's not like our diplomats could do anything over there to assist Irish citizens in such a state. Anybody who stays is on their own, as they already were.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I guess that is why we are hearing mounting pessimism in those Russian vox pops on YouTube. What would even constitute a 'victory' for Russia at this point in time? They have been drawn into a horrible war of attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Be a few years off before there both full members but a huge 1st step in the process towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Absolutely brilliant news

Ukraine's future is in the EU and we should welcome them with open arms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

No outright victory anyway, but its completely Putins fault 100%. Now he can't win, and and can't be seen to lose, so dead end. But he can and is causing havoc world wide, especially in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Russia can declare a victory any time they like - doesn't mean that the Ukrainians will agree .

It'd kind of ruin a Moscow victory parade if the Ukrainians are staging an offensive-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Any links to where your money goes towards weapons for Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

The problem with the West seems to be that it's not set up to withstand any real disruption in supply chains. Throughout Western countries, there would be contingency plans for various disasters, but precious little for what happens when certain essential commodities jump up in value and therefore price. If nothing else the war in Ukraine and its subsequent damage to western relations with Russia has reminded us that we need strategies in regard to the above - becoming self-sufficient in energy production and food production for a start. Putin seems to fancy Russia as able in regard to those two, and its people stoic enough to forego any luxuries which will now become harder to source within Russia. He has to think that, otherwise he knows he's f*cked for trying to dig in for the long haul.

The thing of it is that there's plenty of money in the West, but we know that the ordinary people are not really seeing it. The austerity generated by this war needn't be so bad if the rising costs were absorbed by companies' profit margins and the wages of their top people (who are already making a very good living in most cases) rather than the person working just to make ends meet.

• Advertisement

But it's quite clear that they haven't "liberated" the Donbass, so I'm not sure how they could claim that as a victory.

It would be like us invading NI with the aim of a forced united Ireland, taking possession of maybe two and a half NI counties and then abruptly declaring victory and "mission accomplished".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

@POTUS addressing food shortages caused by Russian aggression: Putin’s war, not sanctions, are impacting the harvest of food and disrupting the movement of that food by land and sea to nations around the globe that need it.

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hindsight being the great thing that it is, if I knew then what I know now, it would be different. But we are where we are. Since Georgia, where it began ( illegally taking over part of an independent Country ) the warnings were getting louder and louder year on year, yet no one thought it would come to outright war. Then you have the global village, where every thing is interlinked, and BINGO, shake one strand of the web, and it reverberates literally world wide. But if there's one positive outcome from all of this....Putin has shown the world what can happen when someone like him gains unlimited power. But its a one -trick pony. The world will not allow itself to be taken in like it has been, especially the west. The old adage " If you want peace, then prepare for war" and that will be the mantra in future for the west. And that will include becoming blackmail proof in terms of food and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

"If you want peace, then prepare for war" and that will be the mantra in future for the west. And that will include becoming blackmail proof in terms of food and energy."

I wish I could agree. There is something that sits very uneasy with me here about all this. Aside from the fact that many European nations, especially the large ones, seem just so nonchalant with the fact that a close neighbor is in a battle for survival. It's that the suffering of so many, the rape and murder and forced deportations of so many people that has once again been introduced in this part of the world, there feels to be an almost 'meh' reaction from so many in power.

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see any urgency from many of those in power to actually be willing to put a stop to this.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

An amazing sight from this side of the launch....where they landed is a different story.

A cargo plane crashed close to Moscow.It's probably not war related and may be a malfuntion related to maintenance,which may be war related!

"The plane flew from Orenburg to Belgorod, on the way landed at the gas station in Ryazan. Immediately after takeoff he fell to the ground.The Ministry of Defense of the Muscovite attack: "One engine refused to take off due to a malfunction. The plane made a hard landing with partial destruction." Four have already died, the other five are in critical condition"

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Hope there is on going training of Ukraine pilots on f16s this asset is needed to change the war imo.

drones have been effective but need piloted craft to deal with advanced anti air system's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

On what basis are you asking this question and at this time?

That's serious weaponry, and if it's the case that they are allowed strike into Russia, that's a serious escalation of the support the West are providing. Forget Peter the Great II, Putin is a boiling frog, lads. A festering boiling frog.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

There is a plan in place and I would think training has been going on secretly before this bill was introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement