Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The media and unions banging the drum for the return of mandatory masks. They'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Them of all people should know the effectiveness of masks or if they don't be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I was appalled to see the INTO in the papers again yesterday calling for the reintroduction of masks indoors. They were at that craic up until March when we had tens of thousands of people from a country that has a very low uptake on any vaccinations arriving here, suddenly that stopped. Now there's increased numbers with Covid and they want to take extreme measures again. At the beginning of the year there were people again calling for an apartheid system where anyone who hadn't a booster wouldn't be allowed to access the hospitality industry.

It's time to move on. I'd Covid that I got while in hospital, it was very mild. My elderly Mother had the booster and was a lot worse than me, it took her a week to recover from it and she's still got lingering problems. The HSE has always been fucked, they're overwhelmed at the slightest increase in any seasonal virus. It's absurd that they're allowed to get away with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ciara Keely on NT Breakfast not too happy about it, happy to take the drumstick and beat the unions back with it

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

I actually agree with Red Silurian to some extent, when a phone appointment is sufficient enough for the type of illness they are handy logistically, saves a chunk of time on travel etc. Also have an appointment with a consultant soon who is located an hour and a half away from me. Very glad I don't have to travel to that appointment and back, those appointments used to be a massive time sink for me.

I do think it's excessive at this stage to be handing out the likes of bottles for samples etc at the door of the GP office. Not even being allowed in to the building to receive that kind of item, prescriptions, and pay for appointments is a bit beyond the pale.

• Advertisement

Varadkar being quoted on RTE news website as saying he's watching the trend in Portugal. Portugal had a peak of about 38,000 daily infections a month ago and are now looking at about 12,000 daily infections, we have about half the population of Portugal so could we take that to mean our numbers should peak around the 19k mark?

For comparison, Portugal peaked at 75,000 cases in January, we peaked at about 30,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Each wave seems to have less impact. Hard to know what we’ll peak at but I would bet my right bollock we won’t reach 1600 in hospital like we did in the BA.2 wave.

However with all this talk of “ very concerning “ at 600 in hospitals I wonder if they have decided never to let it reach 1600 again. I have a feeling they have lowered the threshold this time.

Hospitalisations have been climbing steadily for the last 14 days. Going by Portugal's figures where the wave peaked after a month they'll climb for the next 2 weeks, probably doubling again to 1200 in that time and then fall again.

Which effectively means only 2 more weeks of the renewed calls for restrictions from unions and "concern" from the HSE/health minister

Maybe a possible slowdown already. Hospitalizations only increased by 2 since yesterday.

Possibly... It's hard to tell until a few days after the peak... My prediction is worst case scenario

• Advertisement

A drop from 629 to 436 in hospitals this morning? Hardly an error? Nearly a drop of 200!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Incredible if accurate. Hard to believe it’s not a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's very possible

GP's for a variety of reasons are just referring patients to A&E/hospitals for pretty much everything now. Patient lands and is triaged and whoops happens to have covid as well.

Case numbers and scaremongering goes up as automatic protocols are engaged. But then once they've been treated for whatever they were actually referred for, they're sent home.

A dose of the sniffles is not a concern.

Case in point - after 2.5 years of no illnesses at all, I finally woke to a bit of a cough, stuffy nose and headache on Monday. I didn't run off to the doctor or emergency room or down to the shops for test kits (I've only ever had one covid test and that was as part of admission for a cataract operation up north last year). I just took 2 panadol, had a shower, and got some benelyn day and night and exputex in the chemist.

3 days later I'm pretty much 100% again and have been working remotely (as I usually do) throughout dealing with a major incident all week.

No need for tests or adding to case numbers and "worrying" statistics in the media. Just get on with it... Like we always did before we gave it a scary name!

If it's an error it will be reflected in a spike tomorrow so watch that. With that being said there was also a reduction in positive PCR test results by about 300, I presume the 436 positives in hospital were PCR tested 2-3 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's an error due to a technical issue not all hospitals reported

But as usual I think the important question is if they're there BECAUSE of Covid, or WITH Covid?

Makes very little difference in a hospital setting. Regardless of whether they are there "with" or "because of" they still have to be separated from other patients, 2m distancing between beds in the ward and all the other requirements.

The only important question is what way the ICU figures go - which are stable, maybe even falling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Don’t worry she’ll be ok. A huge f** increase of 56 in one day

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Advertisement

Outcome of cases (as I've said for 2 years now) is indeed the important metric, however the WITH or BECAUSE OF is also important given that decisions are made based on the number of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I agree in general Kaiser, though I don't think every situation is the same.

Similar to you I woke up with all the symptoms on Monday and I took an antigen test because I had many activities this week in close proximity to people. It came back positive, which meant change of plan (work from home and cancelling of activities). Symptoms lasted 3 days and have waned almost completely today, though I still tested positive. Goes without saying that I didn't report anything to the HSE website (i live on my own and notified the handful close contacts separately)

I guess my point is, depending on lifestyle, not everyone can simply ignore it like you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

What would have happened if you did ignore it tho? A couple of those people might have gotten a runny nose, if even? Realistically you could have ignored it and nothing bad would have happened.

I'm inclined to agree. "We" have become so fragile and precious that we've decided that going outside your door with the sniffles makes you worse than an axe murder!

It's ridiculous. Those who are actually at risk will take the same precautions they always have, but expecting people to just put their lives and the lives of anyone around them on hold for a week or whatever it is now because of a runny nose is just massively disproportionate to where we actually are now with this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Difference of opinion I guess.

For me the decent thing to do is to avoid contact with people and not give it to anyone I care about. Same way I wouldn't be out and about if a had a cold or any other viral infection.

A couple might have gotten a runny nose, some might have felt nothing, one might have died... There's no way of knowing really and that's why the other poster did the right thing

"the decent thing"

"the right thing"

See, this is what I think it's really about. A desire to show and be seen to be more socially and morally conscious than others, especially "selfish" others. I am not having a dig by the way, but I think this is ultimately what it's become about for some people.

Covid is of little real risk to the overwhelming majority of people. That's just the facts. Yes there are some for whom it is a threat, but really no more than a whole host of other illnesses is to them and yet we don't ask or expect others to stay home or shut down the economy to protect these vulnerable people from those other things.

Also, unless you similarly stayed home or restricted your movements prior to early 2020 anytime you got a cold then it also makes no sense as the same level of risk existed then. What if you gave your cold to someone who might get very sick from it? What if they died?

The only real thing that's changed is that people have become conditioned to be nervous of others in general - from not just a health perspective but even things like safety in general (eg: women feeling automatically more nervous around men at night because of a thankfully very small risk that they might be attacked). I'm not saying that doesn't unfortunately happen sometimes, just as I'm saying that yes people will sometimes die from a virus, but we have definitely regressed as a society and are poorer for it thanks to the constant coverage and fear generated over the last 2 and a half years (never forget the infamous NPHET "concern-o-meter" chart that they rolled out at one point).

Everything in life involves some level of risk or danger. Every time we go outside the front door we are taking the chance that something bad might happen - we might fall and hurt ourselves, we might lose our wallet or get robbed, we might be in a car crash or be the victim of one etc. Yet despite these things (which are a lot more likely than dying from covid) we do it anyway.

Why is covid different? We have 2.5 years of dealing with it, we have vaccinations and stats on what groups are actually at risk, and we know from the outcomes that (proportionally) very very few people will die from it.

In other words, as I said very early on, our level of response is and always has been massively disproportionate to the actual levels of threat involved. We have spent billions, we have damaged jobs, the economy, caused other health problems through inaction or delays and absolutely have we created a culture of fear and anxiety in many.

All for basically very little real reward. I think when we look back at this event in 15/20/50 years we'll ask "was it worth it" and I think the only answer will be "no it wasn't. We completely overreacted and - as I said above - became poorer as a society as a result".

That to me is the real impact of covid, and it's why I refuse to spend the rest of my life living in fear of something that realistically is extremely unlikely to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hospitals are there to treat sick people.

The staff are paid to treat sick people.

I can't understand why people compare covid to a cold, if you go out with a cold you might spread it to 1 or maybe 2 other people that you're close to indoors, if you go out with covid you could spread it to multiples of that. Yes, most of those will get a dose of the sniffles, if anything, but do you really want to be the reason a pregnant woman miscarried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Just two more weeks and we will be there.

Advertisement