Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

hmmm

Quite unlikely, and I don't expect Reva to get her own spin-off, but potentially a tie in between Maul and Reva as they hunt down Obi Wan and Vader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maul's complete story was pretty much told in the animated series so don't think we'll get the live action version, since the animated shows are considered canon.

We've got plenty of stuff from between the film Episodes 2 and 3 such as Clone Wars and then between 3 and 4 like this and Rebels. I know the comics cover multiple periods. For some reason I was thinking while watching the finale, that I'm surprised Disney haven't announced a young Anakin series to show Anakin training between 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How did reva know Luke was Vader’s child? She only had that message from Bail just chatting in general. Don’t think he said “the boy Luke, Vader’s father?!”.

Enjoyed seeing Palpatine, I’d love to see an origin story for him. The book on him was excellent. I know he’s not everybody’s cup of tea but I love when McDiarmuid gets to let loose with the character. ROTS was his movie for me.

Also enjoyed the Vader fight scene, particularly OB1 really making mince meat out of him. I knew they’d fight but thought it might be a tie. Was actually a nice emotional moment between the two. F*ck Vader to be fair but that’s why we love him.

I’m just happy to see Obi Wan back and characters that mean something. It’s nice to watch with my children.

Could it be better , of course but I’d rather something then nothing. Should it be written for all fans? Yes , but it’s not so why bother getting angry? As the saying goes, would you rather be right or would you rather be happy? It doesn’t change my enjoyment of the other stuff , so my standards are low and as such I’m happier then an awful lot of disgruntled bunnies. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Oh dear............don't know what to be most concerned with, the idea of a Reva spin-off or the splash screen on the Disney app saying season finale as opposed to series finale (though at least the ep description says special event finale, which is hopefully all this ill-conceived and horribly executed fiasco will be)

Very, very poor show overall, which is only made all the more galling given the material and resources to hand. The likes of Boba Fett was bound to be muck given the almost superficial caricutue at hand, and add in the now standard Disney Star Wars 'special mixture' and it was no surprise it was muck. The Mandalorian's hot and cold nature over two seasons elevates it probably more than its due TBH, but also partly due to the bad taste of the recent movies in the memory. That said, what looks like panic stations kicked in and while trying to rescue the Boba Fett dud, they at the very least made much of Season 2 redundant, if not back to square one with Season 3.

Getting back this episode specifically, it was probably the most enjoyable watch of all the six.........well, the duel was really, as the Luke/Reva stuff was beyond nonsensical crap that makes no sense in either the larger lore, or even in the junkyard plot and characterization of this show. Absolutely ridiculous. She's very much been a character they, the writing team, have formed in their head for a final scene, but little understanding of how they get there or making its feel believable or worth investing in. Interaction between Obi-Wan and Vader was at least engaging, and while there's an 'overpowered' problem, it's probably best to let it slide, besides, there was at least some points won in the actual dialogue between the two, especially in Vader's responses to Obi-Wan (split helmet was a little predictable and on the nose, but par for the course with such a production, and of course, the lightsaber prop implementation continues to ruin the scene lighting at every opportunity - but red=dark side, blue=light side.......yeah, we get it). The whole Grand Inquisitor ruse/return plotline was an absolute inspired piece of writing BTW 😐️

No point picking up on the usual poor plot developments and contrivences that leads to events any more, and best to just take scenes in isolation, and at least the fight was there, so that at least elevates it for a few scenes. Cameo in the final moments was beyond laughable. Felt like it was from a new Holiday Special and got mixed up in the editing suite with this junk. 'How about we have it at a meaningful moment at a pivotal phase in the character's story, something to make the character's creed and journey worth the pain and sacrifice ? That'll really generate a heartfelt moment with the audience with beloved characters reunited' says one writer.................'Nah !!', says the rest, 'we've been working on a scene for one of the Lego Star Wars games, so let's shove it in here'. An absolute joke.

At least it's over now, hopefully 😧, so if you got some enjoyment from it, fair enough I suppose. Others will take entertainment from select scenes, but generally forget all about this and most certainly never be watching again. Probably fit mainly in the latter myself, but also with the understanding that this was certainly another harmful effort from Disney to the Star Wars name above all else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A real drag of a show overall, and easily one of my least favourite pieces of Star Wars media to date (I never watched Boba Fett). I’d put the extraordinarily vapid and miserable Rise of Skywalker in that category too, but that at least boasts some moments of visual awe and fun (Babu Frik, of course) amid the piles of horrendous bullshit. This was just so… bleh. It has the makings of something that should work, but is constructed with such little flair and written with such little regard for flow and logic that it all collapses into a pile of beige, badly lit, flat pack ‘content’.

And it is ‘content’ above all else, because that’s what Disney wants: an artless parade of haphazard fan service that can be lazily watched after work and forgotten about immediately afterwards. Well, they’ve gotten that here. Hell, even the folks behind the MCU - the most productive of the modern ‘content’ machines - have put some effort and creativity into their TV shows. This is just… nothing. A shrug of the shoulders, shot with all the flair of an episode of a cheapo procedural detective show. This is a show that has several of cinema’s most iconic characters come face to face for high stakes duels - and yet it can’t help but feel like a low effort bonus mission in a middling Star Wars video game from the mid 00s, with the graphics to match (that final shot… ouch).

I’m glad to see some liked it at least (an ‘IMO’ is of course attached to everything here). There were times I wanted to too - the young girl playing Leia, for example, was perfectly cast. And there were fleeting moments in this last episode where Ewan McGregor was allowed emote and give hints of the performance that could’ve been had he not been weighed down by such **** material. I’d like nothing more than to see some of the relationships and characters so badly fumbled in the prequel trilogy given a chance to do things right. But alas this just didn’t work for me on any level at all.

Star Wars for me, not so long ago, was still a sort of special and momentous thing: a rare treat. There’s still nothing quite like the opening crawl in the cinema, even when the bad ‘episodes’ outnumber the good. But even the worst cinematic Star Wars films (and there’s quite a few) had a sense of occasion and pomp to them. This is a lazy, cheap knock-off that just happens to be officially licensed and have a few of the stars back on board.

At least most of the episodes were short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It was okay but I wish they'd have leaned into the culture around the prequels a bit more. So much potential in it but just felt a bit flat. The emotional charge should have been extreme for any meeting between Obi Wan and Anakin but they blew the load on that very early.

The final scene with them while well acted is a bit nonsensical in that Obi Wan would never have allowed him to leave there with the knowledge that he was completely corrupted.

A lot to work with and it felt lazy, which is a bit inexcusable. I did enjoy it at times though and thought it started quite well. Maybe 10 episodes would have helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

I enjoyed the series overall, but felt this was a bit flat for the finale... yes the fight was good but maybe it came too soon in the episode??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A mixed bag but more good then bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was disappointing. The Qui-Gon cameo was the moment I was looking forward to the most; they had teased it so many times it had to be coming. It was a pretty throwaway moment in the end. Why not have him show up when Kenobi was under the rubble instead? Make it mean something.

The fight with Vader was the best part but I can't believe they passed up the opportunity to have Vader say he had the high ground. Reva's redemption arc is of no interest to me. It would have been better to kill her off.

If they bring it back for a second series I hope they get away from the Luke and Leia stuff. Let him go off and have adventures, and maybe even a love life, elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it. I must say that was a great Series/Season finale. I loved the fight scene with Vader and Obi Wan even if we knew neither of them would die it was still cool.

I too would love to see a Palpatine origin series and Darth Vader series.

I would have no problem with a Reva series either. I do wonder where she will go to next.

My god do not only are storm troopers useless at shooting but it looks like Empire ships are too. The amount of lasers they had shooting at that ship and they barely put a dent on it. It should have being trash not that I wanted to see it trashed am glad they all got away but just saying.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Am I the only one who can't understand how Leia doesn't remember Obi Wan in "A New Hope"...

It's such a massive plothole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

They painted over that with Obi Wan telling Leia: "We have to pretend we don't know each other or it could put both of us in danger". 🙄 Even though Vader, the Inquisitors, etc., know the Organa's were in league with Obi Wan and he helped rescue her...

Try not to think about the plot holes too much, it will only annoy you. 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I enjoyed the entire thing. It's entertainment pure and simple.

I don't understand why people posting here who do little but moan about it actually bother to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have no real issue with Leia's message in ANH making no reference or hint at the events we've now seen in this show.

But it does mean that once Luke and Han rescued her and they were running to the Falcon, she didn't even flinch when Kenobi was fighting Vader and got killed, or make any reference to him on the Falcon after. Luke took it much harder and he only knew him maybe 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most have watched and it's really disappointed expectations. I reduced my own and didn't mind the last few but objectively there was a lot of bad stuff in the season. It's probably not something most people will rewatch.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The show has good points, the show has bad points. Both aspects are worth discussing, and putting the Star Wars label to it is always going to attract more eyeballs and feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Exactly. It retcons the relationships. It should be Luke consoling Leia as her Jedi protector who saved her life multiple times was killed. I don't buy the 'formal language' (General Kenobi, years ago you helped my father in the Clone Wars...) as a way of 'masking' her connection to Kenobi. The events in the Kenobi series officially confirm the Organas' connection to a former Jedi. Also, she is openly telling Kenobi that the droid contains plans to the Death Star so why bother pretending any more? You have already committed treason, what difference will it make if the Empire now knows (which they already do) that you have a connection to Kenobi.

Each episode contained a solid moment, but other than that, it's a deflating series. It could have been so much more with better writers and oversight of the scripts. When you start writing scenes to nod at memes, it gives you a sense of exactly how the writers treat the material and view the IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

You could spend all day picking holes in this show, but the final showdown makes it worth it. Hard to justify how it played out, going from helpless old man to kicking Vader around the place. Obi wan noticeably went on the offensive, whereas he fights on the defensive. It looked good, but surely is he not only rusty and weak in the force, but even rustier in that fighting stance, which Anakin specializes in.

See Lucas said in Episode 3 they met when their powers aligned. Obi wan had peaked and faced Anakin still on an upward trajectory, but in that moment at the same level as Obiwan. Lucas said his intent though was to show from this point Anakin would become more powerful. There's a scene in the fight where they spin their sabers and force push each other. It shows their hands and Anakin is bending back Obiwans hand. Obiwan was being genuinely overpowered by Anakin for the first time, it signified the moment Anakin surpassed him.

So if this is 10 years later it's hard to justify Obiwan winning in the fashion he did. I think he should still win, he's craftier, but not by over powering Vader, although was still satisfying to watch. Although I suppose you could argue in Episode 3 Obi Wan was subconsciously holding back and Anakin hadn't quite got to his level by that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's implied that Luke knows Kenobi longer than that but his uncle doesn't want him hanging around the "crazy old hermit", so he probably sees him out and about as it were instead of going to his gaff to hang out.

But the problem with these prequel things is that they inevitably interfere with original works, so Leia not giving a toss about Kenobi getting whacked is a problem. They managed to gloss over the fact that she knew him and went on a wild adventure when she was 10 with a "nobody can ever know" line at the end. But it only acts barely as a get out of jail card.

Tbh though, those things are the very least of the issues with the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Because it could, and really should be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm fairly sure it's canon that losing half his limbs and being "more machine now then man" stopped him ever reaching his true potential, if he had he would have wiped the floor with Palpatine. As such I have no problem believing Obi-wan going on the offensive and damaging his environmental controls would have been able to overpower him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well they didn't come out and say it in a ACTOR-LOOKS-AT-SCREEN-DRAMATICALLY-AND-YELLS "Anakin has a son!!!!" dun dun duuuuun

but they communicated it pretty well to me.

Not sure what to tell you.

Maybe if you ask the editors of the ole wookieepedia, they might be able to explain better:

Watching the holoprojector's hologram, Reva intercepts Organa's message and learns that Anakin Skywalker has a son on Tatooine.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭JPup

I mostly enjoyed the series despite the many glaring potholes.

I think the chase was the most ridiculous part. Vaders ship slowly trundles along after them for hours taking occasional potshots yet somehow couldn’t destroy or capture them despite having overwhelmingly greater speed and firepower. Then to top it off, it turns out the hyper drive on the escape pod was working the whole time and they just chose not to use it!

It was always going to be difficult to do an Obi Wan show because we know how it ends and they are greatly constrained in what they can and can’t do or say because they ultimately have to tie it back in with the original trilogy. Saying all that, I wouldn’t mind a second series as long as they work in a baby yoda crossover cameo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭McFly85

It was fine. The last episode was the best of the bunch due to the duel. But again odd character choices bring it down. What bugged me most about that was they kept walking away, just deciding to not kill the other. I mean surely they could have had some TIEs being called in by a Vader once he was beat that meant Obi-Wan didn’t have time to kill Vader instead of just letting him live to terrorise the galaxy.

Reva was poorly conceived and it felt like what they wanted from her kept changing. In the end I feel she should have been killed by Owen to bring it back full circle to ep 1 when she asked him if he could protect his family from her.

Overall it’s another barely passable piece of SW content. Disney is trying to do Star Wars by numbers while also putting out way too much content. Give it a few years off, maybe think about what new stories could be told in that universe (preferably far enough in the future for nobody to know the name Skywalker) and make it a cinematic event again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are we holding out much hope for Andor to be a decent show?

I'm not setting mine too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I had a lot of issues with Obi Wan as a production. The direction and editing was miserably poor throughout. Kenobi being cornered by Vader in one scene, we cut away to Leia, thirty seconds later they cut back and Obi Wan has escaped.

Same thing happened with the Leia chase scene through the tunnel. She had a 10 minutes head start on Reva, there's only one established route through the tunnel to the port, yet when we next cut to Leia, Reva has made it to the ship ahead of her. It's a one way tunnel and the Inquisitor never ran into Leia on the way there.

The action scenes were mostly shot in cramped, dark spaces with nothing visually interesting about them. The first Kenobi Vs Vadar showdown in a construction years is pretty awful. The Jedi was just jogging away mostly. No urgency from the characters or in the direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

She had a 10 minutes head start on Reva, there's only one established route through the tunnel to the port, yet when we next cut to Leia, Reva has made it to the ship ahead of her. It's a one way tunnel and the Inquisitor never ran into Leia on the way there.

She passed her out by parkouring along the roof of the tunnel. Possibly...

Advertisement