Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Interesting concept, should be better known.

Nate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Wakefield and Tiverton and Honiton by-elections are taking place today BTW; should make for a very interesting thermometer check re. how the Tories are doing. If both fall to Labour/Lib Dem you'd have to start wondering how much longer Johnson will persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Just curious if Johnson falls who would be his successor? I can't think of anybody credible in the cabinet.

My money is on Hunt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I suspect both will fall. The electorate here enjoy kicking the sitting government in the teeth when they don't take a contest seriously, which is to say every electoral exercise save a GE.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

With the brain drain boris has inflicted on the party to enact his loyalty above everything else agenda thus pushing the most useless to the top then Truss is the most likely bet as his natural successor id say.

• Advertisement

Truss would strike me as a disaster. If they were serious about credibility they'd go for Hunt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Tory party will choose someone who will win them an election. I suspect that in their entire history, they have never considered credibility in a candidate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree.

The way it works is that the Parliamentary party nominates from its own and then votes. The two candidates with the most votes then go to the electorate which in this context is the Tory party membership. These people hold some of the most regressive views in the country such as supporting the death penalty, opposing LGBT rights, etc.

They'll vote for whoever they decide is the best avatar for their social views. Hunt was a capable health minister, Alexander is an actor who gets by on his Boris persona. They opted for the latter.

Theresa May bypassed this process because Andrea Leadsom humiliated herself with her absurd comments about motherhood.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do you reckon given they do fall, would that trigger a genuine Leadership Challenge? Johnson's barely holding out and the No Confidence motion was scarcely curb-stomped.

I don't think so. I think the main problem is the complete lack of a credible challenger to Johnson. When it was May, plenty in her party had the knives out, Johnson included. Now, he's given them a monopoly on power and selected them for compliance and pliability.

I also wonder if we're too close to the next election. It'll be in 2023 or 2024. All of the senior offices of state are occupied by Johnson loyalists. I doubt they'll be able to command the same level of loyalty or toleration he has enjoyed. The likes of Truss and Sunak aren't going to be happy playing second fiddle to anyone else.

I see the Tory unity which was purchased for such an extortionate price on this very day six years ago disintegrating very, very quickly.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not sure if anyone saw the interview of Mick Lynch by Piers Morgan where Morgan focused on the banner image on Lynch's Facebook page (an image of The Hood from Thunderbirds who kinda looks like Lynch). Anyhow, Lynch has now updated his Facebook page image...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In the words of Orwell

'in sheer malignity, thinking to set back our plans and avenge himself for his ignominious expulsion, this traitor has crept here under cover of night and destroyed our work of nearly a year. Comrades, here and now I pronounce the death sentence upon Snowball.'

Johnson will always blame someone else. The UK are in the EU, everything bad is the EUs fault. The UK leave the EU, everything bad is because the EU are punishing the UK for leaving. If there are strikes because the Tories don't pay the workers, it's labours fault for not stopping the strikes

Johnson built the windmill and made it's walls too thin through incompetence and taking shortcuts, and then when the windmill gets blown down, he deflects blame to the opposition and uses his power and supporters in the media to try to force the narrative

I honestly didn't believe what you're describing, but ... yup. That's exactly what happened. Piers Morgan tried to attack Lynch 'cos his (old) Facebook profile photo was a cartoon character most people alive in the UK probably never had heard of. The eagerness of right-leaning media to try and turn Lynch into a Figure of Hate would be hilarious if it wasn't so distasteful.

Is it against the charter to call Morgan an odious piece of shít? I'll take the risk.

It's just where the UK is at the moment. Print media is openly pushing a pro-Tory, pro-Brexit narrative. Broadcast media has to be a touch more discreet but Morgan actually gunning for that Thunderbirds thing presumably because his staff couldn't find any better skeletons in Mick's closet really says it all.

Frankly, I've no idea how someone like Kay Burley has a job. I recall in February when she made a claim about a volcano and immediately added "It's true, we checked". You're Sky News, it's implied that you're checking.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Good term. The right wing have always been by a far stretch the biggest virtue signalers to their own base and the biggest cancellers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That Piers Morgan thing just shows how beyond parody the British media has become. The presenter just shouting loudly over the interviewee, and not allowing any answers to the questions never asked.

How pathetic.

Little or no mention of the by elections in the headlines today with all the strikes going on.

I can see why Johnson has done fek all to stop them.

Personally I want to see the Tories rot. If only they observed our various referendums over the years they would know that complex questions should not have been put in a referendum and that the avg voter is often a moron.

Cameron should have at least put in a back up clause saying that any exit plan had to be put to the people.

Signing back up to the single market at least in goods seems a valid approach though not sure if the single market can exclude movements of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is no mention of them due to electoral media rules.

It will be all over the news in the morning.

I didn't think that was a UK thing. I was reading all about other elections as long as it didn't mention exit polls.

The fact it barely mentions that polls are even happening is definitely odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,667 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is getting increasingly desperate...his ratings are absolutely abysmal

When you literally scurry off the set on live television, you don't leave yourself much choice. Personally, I think his transparent persona where he pretends to be dangerous has well passed the point of tedium.

H. H. Asquith

Probably because people who watched him had no interest in politics. He should have stuck to celebrity gossip with a rare sprinkling of anti vegan roll shte

Yeah he should maybe stick to hacking celebs/dead girls phones and blaming Meghan Markle for everything more in his wheelhouse

They have received the most attention for by elections in England that I can remember.

Local media for the constituencies would give it more far more attention than national bulletins which we only see.

I suppose he can't call on his mates any more for support..

Absolute nonsense. Most by elections would be front and centre of every paper and website

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hartlepool was plastered everywhere for weeks. Because it looked like it would go the opposite way

I've never seen an English by election receiving front page.

Westminster has anything from 5 to maybe a dozen by elections every year as they have so many MPs.

They do not receive widespread attention as most of the public aren't interested in them.

• Advertisement

Sky News leading with this now and providing overnight coverage of the elections.

Advertisement