Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It is good that they were able to give a good ending to the prequel Anakin and Obi Wan characters given the terrible set of films they were in. I think this is the best Star wars series they have produced despite its production flaws, it slightly nudges out the Mandalorian season 1. As a series of tv shows and movies, Star Wars has mostly been misses with maybe three good movies out of 9 and 2 good tv seasons so perhaps those who didn't enjoy the show are expecting too much in terms of quality storytelling, star wars can be just enjoyable dumb fun like this series was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just finished watching Ms Marvel, the other big release on Disney +. The difference in production quality between that and Kenobi is staggering.

The former uses its budget so well. It uses CGI illustrations on screen to make it seem like a teenaged girls diary come to life. There's song and dance numbers and competently put together action scenes. It's so superior to Obi Wan Kenobi. The latter supposedly had a budget of $25m per episode. I really want to know where that went. Editing and direction was bad, there were so many action scenes entirely devoid of any urgency and clearly **** in sound stages. It just seemed so cheap.

Ms Marvel seems like a passion project where everyone was desperate to see it succeed. OWK, in comparison, skirts by on the minimum and seems like it was just a cynical cash grab effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ms Marvel is such an endearing show, Obi thinks it's paying lip service but wants a premium wage to do it because it's SW and then ultimately fails to deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just to confirm on this, due to Vader being in the suit he's not as powerful as could potentially be. The suit is absolute agony by all accounts and forces him to change up his fighting style. Plus, Vader hates Obi Wan, he goes in to a total obsession and tunnel vision when he faces him

I think, somehow, that people forgot about the flashback sequence from the previous episode, and Obi Wans tactics when fighting a more aggressive opponent. Anakin/Vader is focused entirely on the kill, relying largely on his anger and use of the force to end a fight quickly. Obi Wan knows his fighting styles, he's beaten him numerous times and 'finished' him in Ep 3.

Vader expects people to make death blow moves, so Obi Wan changed it up and takes out his life support and keeps him off balance. From a purely canonical point of view, the fight makes absolute sense.

Obi Wan learned his lesson when he lets his emotions take over during his fight with Maul, it nearly ends with him falling to his death. Vader never learned to control his emotions, so keeps making the same mistakes and that's his weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,508 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think andor has more scope in what it can do. we don't have much of a backstory that confines what the character can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really find people saying that people shouldn't complain as it's "entertainment" or "for children" to be quite insulting as it means that it's ok for shows to be poorly written or acted.

Entertainment or children's films or TV shows can still be well written, acted and executed.

People saying the duel made it worth it. How? It's nothing we've not seen before and there was zero tension as we knew both would survive.

This series was a great opportunity to explore how Ben coped after ROTS but we learn nothing. They could also have explored Vader's transformation more after losing most of his body and also his wife and children. Following an emotional path like that leading to an ultimate meeting would have been a better use of strong characters instead of introducing useless fodder like Reeva who I still don't know what the point of her was.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

True, but we all know how it ends for Andor, so much like Vader/Luke/Obi-Wan/Owen/Beru, there can be no tension or concern for their welfare. No matter what they throw at Andor, we all know he will get out of it, somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True. I did like the look of the Andor trailer but as you say, what fun is a journey where there's no sense of peril. Obviously few main characters ever die in their own shows, but that's not to say you can't still have peril, or a sense that ok; Maybe not death can befall them, but some degree of emotional or physical damage. Christ you could lop off an arm without worrying about canon or contradiction.

This remains why The Mandalorian still stands tall among the shows thus far; he's a completely blank slate and we can't know where his story will go, what harm may happen. He has space to grow, change - even turn evil.

TBH, of all the Main Cast from the original trilogy who could support a series, is the one Disney can't really touch: the adventures of Han Solo and Chewbacca. And you can tell they WANT to, cos Boba Fett, Mando and Andor all have aspects that are very Solo adjacent.

It does look good, but so did Obi-Wan 🤣 I think Andor will be Jack Bauer in space.

I would love a TV show centered around Vader in his early days. Possibly months or a year after Order 66 where he is a relative unknown in the Empire, learning the dark side of the force, his relationship with Palpatine, trying to exorcise the memories he has of Padme, Obi-Wan, etc. No more than we were let down by what I thought Obi Wan would be about (a man desperately analysing the events leading up to Order 66, looking for the signs, how they missed Palpatine, Anakin's impending fall), I'd like to see Vader trying to see the signs as a Jedi to justify his actions. There could be plenty of flashbacks, etc. I guess much of this has been covered in the comics/cartoons so probably very little chance of it happening and/or they will probably mess it up anyway.

Ah well.

I don't think anyone here is saying to not criticize or complain about it, rather I just point out it's a bit much when people are saying things like "this is the worst show ever." "worst acting ever" and so on.

There is a crap tonne of flaws in the show, including a very inconsistent run time. A lot more could have been done with Obi Wan himself on a per episode basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Andor also looks like it might - might - cover the big Question Mark I've had about the Empire; what's the deal with the Senate? Bail Organa was part of what I presume to have been an increasingly isolated, powerless government body being pushed to the side by ... what? Single authority control by the Emperor and the military? In which case, what must have the stories been like for those few still trying to reassert democratic rule? We know during the events of A New Hope the senate was finally dissolved entirely. It's all very Weimar Republic, so it'd be fascinating to see play out.

Of course, right there is the problem: maybe that does sound enticing as a storyline - but it's doubtless a hard sell as "Star Wars" to a Disney executive with one eye on merchandise & a broad all-ages appeal. The Phantom Menace infamously tried to dabble in the politics of Star Wars but obviously Lucas hadn't anywhere near the chops to make it more than a boring slog. My hope would be a good portion of Andor actually follows those lonely souls clinging to the Senate as a force for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

if they do get a season 2 they could explore more of Bens feelings. I dont want Vader to become a new Kylo Ren so don't want to see him agonising over his choices. He shouldn't be at all like that until Return of the Jedi. As for the duel I think it was more emotional then most of the duels shown in the movies and on a par with the important duels shown in Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi.

I wouldn't excuse the bad writing but not all enjoyable series have to be perfection- it reminded me of the mess that was Rogue One, but like that movie I did feel emotionally connected to the characters and loved the ending.

The Weimar Republic idea is actually a good one, but I think you are right about Disney, they won't lean into a market that might isolate or alienate other markets, specifically the markets where the most money is to be made. I always look back at the absolute lack of foresight when it came to the sequel trilogy and choosing to write each one after the previous instead of sitting down and writing a trilogy. Sometimes it feels like Disney don't know what to do with Star Wars and maybe throwing enough 'stuff/content' at the wall will eventually reveal the 'correct' path to take with this huge IP. Tonally, the Mandalorian is different to Boba Fett, and both of them are tonally different to Kenobi, so I expect Andor to be another tone again in the hope that they can find their feet with what they think Star Wars fans want.

Typically, when a successful series finishes, the studio announces a sequel on the back of that success within a day or two, but there has been silence with Kenobi. It feels like they are scrambling to work out if they should make Kenobi S2, a Vader stand-alone series, or persist with a Reva spin-off. AWS needs to spin up more servers so Disney's algorithm can make the call for them! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Sonics2k I think, somehow, that people forgot about the flashback sequence from the previous episode, and Obi Wans tactics when fighting a more aggressive opponent. Anakin/Vader is focused entirely on the kill, relying largely on his anger and use of the force to end a fight quickly. Obi Wan knows his fighting styles, he's beaten him numerous times and 'finished' him in Ep 3.

Vader expects people to make death blow moves, so Obi Wan changed it up and takes out his life support and keeps him off balance. From a purely canonical point of view, the fight makes absolute sense.

While that's all fine, what didn't make a lick of sense is Kenobi deciding just to walk away after and leave Vader alive. That was just insulting to the viewer, frankly. Unfortunately it's wholly indicative of the problems with these prequel bits and pieces. Major characters HAVE to be alive at the end, no matter how bloody stupid the scenario looks.

But surely the writers could have come up with a better and more logical ending to that duel.

That is so very true, and always such an issue in prequels of any type. I think for me, and this is just my own view. Obi Wan can't kill Anakin, or he simply won't and that's his weakness and flaw. He can't separate the his love for Anakin, Vader himself doesn't have that weakness. Much like at the end of Ep 3, he can't do the killing blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Tom1991

I quite enjoyed it, I thought the third sister tried a bit too hard at times but was enjoyable series with some nice set pieces.

Again reason goes out the window with star wars in general the force can be used to mulligan anything into shape. The not finishing vader thing i can get behind it for that reason obi wan cant go the whole way and defeat anakin or vader always stopping just short.Some mystical mumbo jumbo and destiny that leads to the events of a new hope.Its a Space Panto not a Sacred text.

The "it's for children" mantra is just a way of not engaging with the very serious writing issues that plague a lot of Star Wars. It was used famously, of course, by George Lucas when he was faced with the shit writing of the prequels. But he also said of the original 'Star Wars' that he "didn't want to make a silly child's film". But yeh, the "it's for children" nonsense is a very poor get out of jail card for just lazy writing efforts. As if kids can't cope with good writing that makes sense and doesn't insult the intelligence of the audience.

My nephew turned to me and asked why Vader didn't kill Reva in episode 5. And he's 7 years old. Right there a kid is like WTF? I told him she has plot armour. He later told his younger sister that Reva was wearing pilot armour. 😆

Oh dear, what have I done.

@pixelburp TBH, of all the Main Cast from the original trilogy who could support a series, is the one Disney can't really touch: the adventures of Han Solo and Chewbacca.

Well, they tried and they fucked it up royally.

Really though, new characters in the same galaxy. Why is that so bloody difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Funny some mention the darkness, like what happened in GOT when the White Walkers attacked Castle Black at night.

I watched a HQ download on a laptop screen & it was perfect, no issues.

Today I tried to watch OBW vs Vader III on Youtube & it was pure black, couldn't make out a thing.

Anyway, the fight was great, the rest meh

Question: How come Lightsabers don't kill people anymore, Grand Inquisitor & Reeva all up & about, that's stupid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Realistically most Star Wars fans, and I mean anyone that grew up with the original trilogy in the 70's and 80's, are in or around their 40's. "iTs fOr kIdS" should have been booted out on its arse a long time ago.

If they're going to keep on insulting the intelligence of their mature adult fanbase then I'd just rather Disney left all of the remaining original and prequel trilogy characters alone, so we can stop seeing them being used as a cash cow and being butchered and soiled by piss-poor writing. It's time for them to move on and start creating entirely original material outside of the already explored timelines from the movies, TV and games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Phantom Menace infamously tried to dabble in the politics of Star Wars but obviously Lucas hadn't anywhere near the chops to make it more than a boring slog.

Really left itself open to this alright

I said it already in the thread, but the simplest counter to the "it's for children" mantra is itself part of Disney: Pixar Studios. A studio who have consistently shown that it's perfectly realistic to make ostensibly children's entertainment not just palatable to adults - but also geared towards them in parts. Some of the best writing, action, cinema really has come out of Pixar.

Nobody who ever watched the first 10 minutes of Up could claim children's movies can't also speak to adults, or watch Soul and think similar with respect to more adult themes like "have I peaked?".

Star Wars has no real excuse. It's not easy to thread the needle, but as Pixar - and another Disney property, the MCU, is showing - you can make something family friendly and still work across ages & not be talking down to anyone. Now, how you make a "Weimar Republic" Star Wars show I don't know; maybe there you have a more definitive delineation between the Adult stuff and Children's Stuff - and that's never really going to fly.

Unfortunately for me that just makes Kenobi an idiot. Am I really supposed to believe that he learned nothing from the fight in Mustafar? Does it really make any sense for Kenobi to walk away from a mass murdering psychopath and leave him to go around the galaxy carrying out deeds for the Empire? Hunting down more Jedi? And worst of all, being a threat to the very existence of Luke and Leia, the future hope of the galaxy?

I just can't buy that as it was written in 'Kenobi'.

The writers could have, at least, thought of a scenario whereby Vader gets away or is out of reach of a killing blow somehow. I liked the duel, despite, knowing that these two were going to walk away and Anakin under the mask was a nice idea. But I cannot imagine a worse way for the writers to conclude the fight.

Bloody awful.

No I actually agree with you. My thoughts above were just a potential reason based on my thinking and the cannon. They could have easily had someone, or something, happen that ended the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

something talked about on the the Empire spoiler special, its was changed then rushed out....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just finished it. Well phew what a relief to think that Obi Wan wasn't lying when he told Luke that Vader killed his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Overall it was lackluster and felt fairly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Taking the 6 episodes as a whole it was pants.

Didn't really feel the bond between Obi and the young Leia that they kept trying to push on us.

Fight scenes were like something you'd see in a Nintendo game in the 90s.

Id score it 3-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thought it was really good myself, darker in tone than anything previous in the star wars universe, better than any of the 2015 to 2019 series of movies for me and McGregor was far better in this than in the 1999 to 2005 series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Season 1 RECAP

Advertisement