Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The VFX of the original were not shite.

They were the best that could be done at the time.

I didnn my t know the same was done to TNG. not interested in seeing that either and glad it stopped before Ds9

Both versions were available on the US iTunes Store at one stage. I regret not buying the unmastered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is just my opinion obviously, but I think the remastering of Next Gen (and DS9 for that matter if it ever happened) feels far more consistent with the original tone of the episodes than with TOS.

There is such a specific feel to the production values, lighting, special effects etc of a show from the 60s. Personally I very much enjoy it but it unquestionably dates those shows far more than stuff from the late 80s/90s onward.

And cleaning up/modernising something that was so gloriously of its time isn't my cup of tea.

(Personally I don't agree that the effects were poor. The show had a decent budget, at least in the first year or two. They were simply of their time)

It's needed in DS9 because TOS and TNG were practical models where as DS9 moved to CGI, which has aged horribly

I'd prefer if the TOS remaster had the option to show the correct tunic colours, instead of the film flaws the aired shows had

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I somewhat misspoke. The FX aged like shíte was more what I meant; while the original models were great, the footage was often lower Res than the rest of the episode IIRC, while the aforementioned cost cutting was annoying. Things like planets rendered as glowing coloured blobs were always distracting and the remasters were a good chance for a subtle improvement there. As I said the CGI looked a bit too like CGI at times with the ship exteriors which was a shame. New matte backgrounds often looked pretty good

Doctor Who remasters had the same issue, even worse sometimes. The advertised new, CGI FX often looked even worse than 1970s zero budget BBC work. Time won't be kind there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Was in two minds, to share this youtube video or not?

Did This Moment Reboot STAR TREK Right Under Our Noses?

56,043 views 6 Jun 2022 ~ The Popcast

^^^ Linked it rather than embedding in this post, the comments are worth reading.

Spoiler and main points of the theory below.

Did Rick Berman & Patrick Stewart secretly reboot the franchise with

the Film 'First Contact' & Enterprise series?

"There was no Romulan war imminent on Enterprise."

That's not true, you can see them headed toward the Romulan war in S4.

They were also planning on the war for S5.

Don't buy the theory myself, it implies that it was planned out, instead of just happening by coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

It's a pretty weak theory.

Minor canon inconsistencies have been happening since TOS it's not an intentional reboot. A classic example is Relics and Generations, Ronald D. Moore wrote both of them and in Relics Scotty thought Kirk was still alive but in Generations he saw him "die."

Also "why didn't the Romulans take over the Alpha Quadrant if they had the best ships?" is easily answered by numbers. There are very few Romulans compare to the rest of the Quadrant and having the best ships doesn't guarantee victory, just ask the IJN.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Voyager got some TAS treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ah, beat me to it. I don't know how they managed it, but it's even more fun than the BOBW cartoon they made last time. They really leaned into the TAS stylE in this one and it just works so well.

I saw comments there pleading for a DS9 one next time. Can you imagine a Dominion War story done this way? God, I'd crack up :P

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Garak animated doing the Kirk shocked meme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

[Odo and Garak are escourted onto the bridge of a Romulan Warbird]

Enabra Tain: Hello, Garak... it's good of you to come. It spares me the trouble of having to send someone else to kill you...

[Garak doing Kirk shocked meme]

Unused Flyby Footage of the Original Enterprise Composited on a Starfield.

Is it the animated meme, your referring to?

Yeah, the animated one.

I can almost see Garak doing it feigning shock like in Rawr's scenario or when he and Bashir are talking about something and Bashir brings up something reprehensible he's seen and Garak admits he's done something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I like the remastered versions if TOS and think they done a good job. I did not know TNG had it done not that it really needed it anyway. If there was one thing I would Change in TNG it's at the end of BOBW when Picard is looking out his window and the camera zooms out from it. That could be done so much better now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

What is the point of these? Is there anything different to the live action version?

Edit: Never mind there is.

Is that a Tellerit and an Andorian I see at 4.10?

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

How We Animated Star Trek: TNG: TAS

fan projects!!

I see Paramount+ has launched in the UK/ Ireland. I've not signed up yet because I'm just waiting for Stranger Things part 2 and a run through of The Umbrella Academy before cancelling Netflix and moving over. It mentions Strange New Worlds but nothing else. Do they not have Discovery? Or any of the movies? TOS to Enterprise appears to still be on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Discovery, Prodigy, TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise, and the first few episodes of SNW are all there. As are all the movies except Beyond and Into Darkness. So all that's missing are those two movies, Lower Decks, and Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

But only 3 episodes of SNW are on there. They’re releasing the rest of them 1 per week, well behind the US Paramount+ release schedule.

also I was expecting to see the new 4K edition of The Motion Picture director’s edition but that doesn’t seem to be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Bizarre that they don't have Lower Decks and Picard on there, especially the latter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Probably because Amazon UK/IE have the rights to Picard & Lower Decks ATM. I guess with PAramout+ now in the territories, those contracts will be allowed to lapse & Seasons 3 of both will appear on Paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ah, that explains it all right. Personally I'm not going to go beyond two streaming services - Netflix and Disney+ currently winning out for me.

Do You Remember the STAR TREK and FLINTSTONES Crossover?

Watch till the end of for the Flintstones Pebble Commercial. <<< Bad recording of it.

So, with the Paramount subscription going, just catching up on Discovery and Strange New Worlds, one question I have though, aside from what we see in Kelvin universe, is there any canon story as to when Montgomery Scott joined the Enterprise? I always assumed he was part of building the ship and was there ever since, just not a featured character in The Cage.

According to StarTrek.com Montgomery Scott was given his first starship posting as an ensign in 2242. [1]

By 2265, Scott was assigned to the USS Enterprise where he served as chief engineer under CaptainJames Kirk. (TOS: "Where No

Man Has Gone Before") The Enterprise was the first ship on which he was the chief engineer. (TNG: "Relics")

Scott later admitted that he often padded his estimates of time needed for repairs by a factor of four in order to appear that much faster. (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock; TNG: "Relics") As he said to Geordi La Forge in the 24th Century, "A good engineer needs to be a wee bit conservative, at least on paper."

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Montgomery_Scott

In Relics he said he'd served on 11 ships so he was probably just assigned to the Enterprise at some point. Not everyone needs a backstory as to how they ended up in their current assignment beyond "orders." That's not to say he wasn't involved in building the ship at some point.

@flazio

In the D.C. Fontana novel Vulcan's Glory, in 2253, Lieutenant Scott signed aboard the Enterprise as a junior engineer under Lieutenant Commander Caitlin Barry.

PDF of novel here.

The main character of the story are Spock, Sarek, Amanda Grayson, T'Pring, Christopher Pike. The book was first published in February 1989 and the latest edition of the book was published in March 15th 1991 which eliminates all the known issues and printing errors.

So he could turn up on SNW?

@Evade

Other non canon info

Having proved to be an excellent engineer during his time at the Academy, Scott was assigned to the San Francisco Fleet Yards where he served on the construction teams working on four Constitution-classstarships, including the USS Enterprise. (TOSnovel: The Galactic Whirlpool)

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Montgomery_Scott

Post edited by corkie on

It completely slipped my mind that Starfleet build their own ships. Imagine joining Starfleet to see the galaxy and spending your entire career in a shipyard on Earth or Mars

• Advertisement
    Ms

Anyone else here watch the F1 today Sunday and see Star Trek SNW advertised on the Billboards? Good too see. Hopefully it gets some more fans.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement