Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoptions and the right to an original birth cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How do you tell if someone's birth cert has been falsified?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You can say with absolute certainty that there have been none/zero cases where a reunion has caused problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You're the one claiming the sky will fall in, if we're (meaning adopted people and natural parents) "allowed" to have our information. I've told you we've been accessing our information for years; and many of us have been tracing and making contact. I think that rather puts the onus on you to show that reunions are causing problems?

Are they all perfect? No, of course not. Nobody is claiming they are. However, even where a reunion doesn't work out, it's still rarely, if ever, the shitshow you seem to think will result from adults being allowed to access their own information. If that were the case - would we not have some evidence, given we've been doing this for literally a couple of decades now, and a tabloid never refused ink?

I'm not saying that they should be refused access, only except in certain circumstances - where all parties cannot agree that the information should be shared.

Surely you'd have to concede that a reunion in those circumstances is more likely to result in a shitshow than ones where consent is given?

And no, some voluntary pretty please "no contact" register is not good enough protection for women who were promised anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a man and a woman have a child, planned, unplanned or through whatever circumstances ... they should facilitate the responsibility that entails... they should not be of the ability to preclude the person who is recorded on it from having their birth certificate. But they are, as seemingly their right of privacy trumps the right of the child to obtain a record of THEIR birth.

pure backwards madness BS..so fûcking Irish it’s untrue.

they should be only given a courtesy perhaps as in a letter... “ x person whom you gave birth to on 18/04/1976 has requested and been issued with a copy of ‘their’ birth certificate... wouldn’t even have to name the child.

A birth certificate is a record of a persons birth... their birth, it relates to and is fo the child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well then you're relying on the adoption agency to have kept accurate records of its own illegal activity, and for those records to not have been lost in a mysterious "fire"...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Why are you going on and on about reunions? It's the right to one's one birth cert which is being talked about, one does not necessarily lead to the other. And you have continued to ignore other posters pointing out that this information can be tracked down anyway given enough effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Even if the records aren't burned in a fire, it's very difficult to look back at a >50 year old document and be able to tell if it is factual or not. I'd imagine an awful lot of people who could be called as witnesses to the validity of a signature or information contained in a form(s) are dead at this stage.

An adopted person could get a copy of their birth cert but given the shenanigans and flagrant disregard for rules etc. in years gone by, there's no guarantee whatsoever that the information contained in the birth cert is accurate.

Surely you'd have to concede that a reunion in those circumstances is more likely to result in a shitshow than ones where consent is given?

What reunion would this be, exactly? I go to the Adoption Authority, get my birth cert and whatever other relevant information of mine that they have, such as medical history. I presume as a matter of routine they'll tell me if there's an entry already on the contact register from parents and/or siblings and/or extended natural family; and presumably they'll ask if I'm interested in contact myself. I'm not going to turn up on anyone's doorstep just because I've been given my birth cert. If a natural mother has said she doesn't want contact, especially, there won't be a reunion, so there won't be a shitshow.

Again, adopted people have been getting their birth certs - just by walking up and asking for them, no need to spend a day or two in a research room - since the 1930s in Scotland and the 1970s in England and Wales, and since the late 80s/early 90s in Ireland (with the requirement to research) - without the sky falling in.

And no, some voluntary pretty please "no contact" register is not good enough protection for women who were promised anonymity.

Apparently this also bears repeating. A) Women were not generally promised anonymity. We know this because y'know what? There are thousands of natural mothers who placed or were forced to place children for adoption, who are still alive, and they tell us this. B) Even if some sought anonymity (and some did), it was not in the gift of the then Adoption Board or any adoption agency to give that anonymity or to promise it, because our births were legally recorded, and all birth records are public records.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nail on head.

And cowardly successive governments have been afraid to touch this issue because it exposes their decades of bad practice.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Not only bad practices by state & religious agencies but it could expose the rich & powerful in society...there must have been some truth in that remark made by Charlie haughey about TD's & children born in st ritas..why pass laws to reveal their secrets?

A major change in the law and quite the erosion of some womens privacy, passed with barely a whimper.

Legislation and policy formation outsourced to NGO's continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are two sides to this, both equally valid, and this is an acceptable approach IMO. Access to a birth cert is a pretty reasonable right but it doesn't really confer any other extra rights with regard to the birth mother.

What utter bollocks!

Everyone's birth record is already a public record, and the Natural Parents Network of Ireland were one of the organisations who have campaigned for adopted people to be able to access their own birth certs for literally decades.

"Passed with barely a whimper"?! What are you like?! Literally decades of campaigning by natural parents and adopted people got us as far as this flawed and inadequate bill, which doesn't go nearly far enough. Legislation was first proposed by Mary Hanafin in 2000/2001, after years of campaigning. Brian Lenihan Jnr had public consultations with adopted people, natural parents, adoptive parents, adoption agencies and those in the fostercare system, lasting over two years. Katherine Zappone also proposed legislation. That eventually led us to where we are now - "the Birth, Information and Tracing Bill that passed this evening underwent six sessions in the Dáil, eight sessions in the Seanad and more than 30 hours of debate this year." (per RTÉ)

Passage was delayed specifically because the campaign groups (and they're not NGOs!) were so opposed.

What we've got is a law that gives adopted people their birth cert (again - already a public document), a mandatory information session if a natural parent has objected to them getting it (pre-supposing we're the criminals, or something, rather than the adoption agencies that falsified our birth certs and arranged illegal adoptions!), and might get us whatever out-of-date medical information is on our files.

It brings us into line with what people in England and Wales have had since the 1970s and people in Scotland have had since the 1920s. Did the sky fall in over there? No.

(Edited to clarify what NPNI campaigned for.)

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

Identity is at the core of who we are. If we have a weak or even non existent grasp on it then you can be guaranteed that you will experience difficulties in life. Everything leads back to the relationship we have with ourselves and all roads lead home.

There is a strange sort of emptiness that goes along with not knowing your origin, it's like looking in to the past and remembering all your experiences, your earliest memories and then nothing. It just ends.

It's completely different to not being able to remember but being completely aware of what was what. Your mam telling you the time you were born, how she held you, knowing that the family you belong to are the same people who brought you in to the world.

Although even having the knowledge of your biological family, where they came from, where you were born, etc, won't necessarily fill the hole that emerges as a result of the fracture that occurred when you were born.

A previous poster made the point that one group of people will have their rights take importance over another, and I agree. A birth mother's right to privacy will be secondary. I understand how complex a decision it is to 'give up' your child, the unique circumstances of all and the pain involved.

And Yet.

The child must come first, they are adults now of course but this is a situation not of their making. There are consequences for our actions. Life changing decisions can....do things to us....alter us in ways. I believe that any woman today who decides to place her child for adoption must be aware that in the future they may have access to her details.

Tracing and reunions have been occurring for decades and they aren't all successful. I am aware of two that imploded. One was where the adopted person was treated horrendously by the birth family after a period of calm, the other case was the opposite. A birth mother left in pieces after the relationship broke down due to circumstances not of her making. So there are no fairytales but I still believe this bill is needed and necessary.

Tracing and reunions have been occurring for decades and they aren't all successful. I am aware of two that imploded. 

I'm aware of some reunions that haven't worked out, but I'm also aware of many more that either were just "grand", or where things went very well indeed.

And of course there are many more adopted people who don't necessarily want their information in order to trace, they just... want their information. Because it's theirs. Everyone needs to know where they've come from. We're finally getting that recognised by the state, to some extent at least, even though many of us have been able to do our own research (and trace, if that's what we wanted) without their help, for years now.

Yes there are many many reunion experiences that are just fine. I don't see this bill as a means to trace but rather as a means to understand, for clarity.

Bear in mind, the op started this thread out of something to moan about and they've no skin in the game. Don't bother. I contributed to it last year and then said, no. he's just posting for entertainment on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So are you actively opposing surrogacy, and insisting that IVF must be registered with state agencies and all donors identified?

• Advertisement

This thread is about adoption ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is the difference between an adopted child being entitled to know the source of their genetic material and a baby conceived by using a a donor?

What is the use of a child knowing its genetic ancestry if the parent/family don't want any contact with it? There is no right to medical records of your genetic grandparetns for example, if you want to know about history if illnesses. That information will only come through talking with the person who doesn't want to talk to you anyway (unless they died from it and it is on their death cert).

One use of it might be "revenge" against the person who gave them up for adoption? "I'm going to locate the one who gave me up and destroy her life"

You have no idea what my motivation is (nor does it matter) so please don't project your prejudices. Thanks

No, I'm not. Surrogacy is wonderful. I am absolutely opposing anonymous surrogacy and IVF donation, because - as proven in adoption - it ultimately has terrible consequences for the donor-conceived person who wants to know their background identity and up-to-date medical information. Which is why donor-conceived people themselves have been campaigning for years now for pretty much exactly what adopted people have been campaigning for, for decades. See https://www.wearedonorconceived.com/ for example.

That's completely aside from issues such as exploitation of potential surrogate mothers, which is also, sadly, a thing, as it also was in the past for adoption in Ireland and still is for some foreign adoptions.

What is the use of a child knowing its genetic ancestry if the parent/family don't want any contact with it?

Because everybody needs to know where they come from.

There is no right to medical records of your genetic grandparetns for example, if you want to know about history if illnesses. 

No, there isn't. But non-adopted people can at least talk to their families and/or learn about family medical history through their life. Adopted people generally don't have that option, but y'know what? That's not a good thing. So if anything can be done via contact registers or follow-up from the Adoption Authority following queries from adopted people, that is a good thing. Same for people conceived by surrogacy or IVF. My medical history right now is very different to what it was when I was in my 20s.

the person who doesn't want to talk to you anyway

What, now? Says who? Possibly the natural parents don't want contact - and possibly they do, and may even have been actively searching themselves! - but if they're registering a no-contact preference, then what's the harm in just asking then for any updated medical info or history they'd like to pass on.

One use of it might be "revenge" against the person who gave them up for adoption? "I'm going to locate the one who gave me up and destroy her life"

🙄 I think you may watch too many American daytime soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IVF is creating exactly the same issue which is blighting the lives of people who were adopted. And if its unregulated, there is no solution possible.

Surrogacy is breaking the bond between a child and the woman who housed and nourished them pre-birth. So not the same, but can have a similar emotional impact for some.

If someone 100% doesn't want to hear from, or have any contact with, the child that they gave up for adoption, then they are hardly going to go for a cup of tea and a chat over family medical history now are they?

There are also plenty of non-adopted people who don't know who their fathers are. That could only be solved by mandatory genetic testing of every person in the country.

Adoption is a legal process. After it is complete, the adopting parents are the parents of the child. The suppliers of genetic material are no longer parents of the child.

A surrogate mother is, by default in Ireland, legally the mother of the child. Regardless of who contributed the genetic material.

There is a difficulty in trying to advocate for a principle which will solve a particular issue that you want solved now, if you don't recognise that that principle must also apply to other scenarios which could have adverse consequences. Which is fine for you if you don't care about those other people. But others might want to look at the bigger picture and advise to go back to the drawing board and try to come up with something which will work for you without having those adverse consequences for others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"And of course there are many more adopted people who don't necessarily want their information in order to trace, they just... want their information."

This is what it's always been about for me.

That information - the story of my life prior to my adoption - belongs to me and no one and nothing can justify denying my the right to it if I decide I want to access it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement