Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Handy way for Which to boost their brand too, they are in the business of selling their publication, this is an easy one to jump on.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I like the switch but the joycons, both from a drift and precise control point of view are very very shite

I really hope that the next switch will improve them greatly AND be compatible with the current model so that they could be purchased as an upgrade

But Nintendo being Nintendo I don't hold out too much hope for the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If it was about jumping on an easy target, they could have done it years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes and if they'd have really cared they'd have done something about it years ago. Hence, quiet for them, need a few more subs, looking for a handy name recognition boost, so let's bang the drum now.

As you accurately point out, It's not a new phenomenon.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Oh no not Which? Magazine!! Nintendo must be quaking in their boots.

• Advertisement

I agree about the Joy-Cons being $h1t€. They need a complete redesign. For starters, make them larger. I think a large part of the problem stems from Nintendo making them so small so that they can attach either side of the main Switch unit. Making them larger, and more ergonomic. They have little ergonomics to begin with, and they get worse depending on what way you have to hold them. I would like analogue triggers and a headphone port would be good, but that would run into issues.

Interesting game - out now

Speedrunner / Shooter game (also with cards?) with medal based stage system

Some sort of story too

Decent performance on switch on both handheld and docked

I don't think that it's any harm for them (which) calling them out tbh either, even at this late juncture.

They are a fairly respected organisation as they make their money by being objective on products as that's what their subscribers pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just got an email from Nintendo to say that Fall Guys is out now and is free to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

An excellent game for anyone who hasn't played it before, played it a lot on the ps4 when it came out.

• Advertisement

Fall Guys is free on all platforms now afaik

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know a few people here had shared Baldo, with its gorgeous visuals, but apparently the released game was a bit of a hot mess. Well, turns out the game has been patched by the small dev team to the extent it's supposedly quite solid now:

Post edited by pixelburp on

Watched that last night. Must give it another go.

Elechead is out on Switch tomorrow. Well regarded on PC (see here for metacritic overview). An incredibly clever puzzle platformer.

For those with Brazilian eShop accounts, it's just under €4.

It's €8.99 in the EU.

I seen this trailer yesterday for Airoheart and I think it looks fantastic. Really nails the look and feel of the 16 bit greats.

Airoheart - Gameplay Trailer

Airoheart is coming to PC and Consoles on September 30, 2022!

Our story begins in the land of Engard, where our beloved hero Airoheart sets out on a journey to stop his brother's diabolical plan to unleash an ancient evil that has been sealed in the shadows for generations, and to trigger a war using the power of the Draoidh Stone. Will you confront your own brother and stop him from executing his wicked plans?

Features

Engage in real-time combat

Fight your way through dangerous monsters in real-time combat. Plant bombs, cast spells, drink potions, and overcome the dangers of Engard.

Journey through an enchanting open world

Discover a beautifully handcrafted retro-inspired pixel art world featuring an overhead perspective that will take you back in time. Immerse yourself in a vast and captivating world bursting with life and unique characters.

Conquer dungeons and solve puzzles

Acquire weapons and armor, and learn magical abilities to overcome complex puzzles and unlock new areas to explore. Navigate your way through murky dungeons and watch out for deadly traps and vicious enemies.

Embark on a quest to save the world

Unravel a tale of betrayal, tragedy and redemption piece by piece. Embark on an adventure to stop your brother from unleashing an ancient evil.

No Man's Sky Nintendo Switch Edition - Release Date and Physical Edition Announcement

Hello Games and Bandai Namco Europe today announce that the Nintendo Switch version of No Man’s Sky will be released worldwide on October 7th 2022. It will be available digitally through Nintendo’s own e-shop and physically through all good retailers. For the first time ever, a physical PlayStation 5 version will also be made available on the same day.

https://www.nomanssky.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Draw distance looks a bit severe, with lo-res textures - which I'd expect from a Switch port. For those familiar with the game on PC, how does that trailer look for comparison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looks like the PSVR version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I see that Blade Runner, a remake of the 1997 game, was surprised released yesterday. Just under a tenner as well. I do recall loving the game when it came out, but being only 14 at the time, I can't say that I got most of it - might be worth a replay for that alone, as I do recall enjoying it (and having considerable satisfaction at my choice of ending)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have a feeling that we are heading for v2 of this. I am highly dubious the Switch edition will look that good. I got NMS at launch and obviously was disappointed. I do have it sitting there to replay since all this work was done, so I do hear it's quite good now, but I can see performance issues etc for a Switch release.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved the game at the time, being a total Bladerunner/ Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep fanboy.

And so cheap, I will have to pick it up.

apparently a few bugs in it at present.. judging by the reviews, but will prob pick it up anyway and I'm sure they'll be resolved later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Switch, with its massive eshop library, is fast becoming an economy Steamdeck!

If SwitchUp is to be believed, Frank Klepacki, the composer for the game's music, didn't have any access or rights to the original soundtrack so had to listen to it manually & recreate it by ear alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Loved the Blade Runner game. Got a couple of the endings but might have to pick it up again to get them all.

Just spotted Wreckfest is out on Switch now. Destruction Derby was one of my favorite racing games ever. Might have to pick this up too. Nostalgia is an expensive business...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw a review of the Blade Runner remake on PC that shows the graphics as a pretty ugly upres (original assets were lost so it's all been machine-learning upsample techniques) and bugs as well, including sound effects interrupting and ending the music on that balcony scene. Buyer beware I guess, at least for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, it apparently looks very smeared and 'off'. Plus plenty of bug reports too. The older ScummVM version on GoG seems to be the best way to play if that's at all possible.

To the developers' credit, this reverse-engineered, awkwardly up-ressed version seems to have been the only way to get the game onto consoles and the ScummVM version was apparently a no-go for porting. But just looking at those screenshots it really shows the limitations and consequences of AI-assisted up-res efforts. The changes might seem relatively small in isolation, but taken together they definitely have an impact on the look and feel of the game. I never played the original, but I'm always intrigued by these sort of restoration efforts and what's lost or gained in the process.

A definite troubled production and flawed result, but the game - even in compromised form - getting to consoles is likely something positive for anyone without a PC.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I remember trying to play the original way back in the day but didn't get on with it. Might have to give the ScummVM version a go, even if it's just for the music...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The funny thing is the original / ScummVM versions of game clearly look weird and flawed anyway, full of obvious artefacting and pixellation. But kinda like how film grain works with film, those limitations seem to have somewhat worked to mask some of the rough edges. They're more obvious now with the smeary up-res effort.

Advertisement