Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runningonwhiskey90

Best bet would be to contact the guys at Irish Whiskey Auction - they should be able to help as they regularly ship to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hello Everyone.

Long time follower first time poster.

Macallan Rich Cacao last night

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 in France for 56 euro in Carrefour, they had plenty of stock. Saw it in stock in smaller supermarkets in the countryside too for the same price, plenty of stock. It's not being ordered in.

Anyway I was pretty happy to pick it up for that price. I've never had it before so big expectation.

I got a bottle of Caol Isla 12. Paid 35 or 40 so was happy with that. Was nice, would prefer an Ardbeg 10 or a Laphraiog

Clonakilty Galley Head

Worth to try for €25 at SuperValu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What did you think? I spotted it in Supervalu, but haven't got one yet.

Missing out on a distillery tour to them, and West Cork, next month, as I'm away on holidays. 😪

Next time I will use it as a mixer for drinks.

Nothing special for me.

I'll give it a miss so! I often go for regular powers on special when it's going with a mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

They were certainly pushing it at their stall at Whiskey Live!

Also got to try some interesting peated new make while there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭KinnegadKid

I find it a lovely dram...lovely taste of Christmas cake of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Interesting that Teeling was just mentioned I was going to post about them but let’s start at the beginning . Bloom !!!! Man that place is like a mini Whiskey Live. The superstars for me were Lough Ree .Refreshingly as with JJ Corey they give a percentage breakdown of components in blends I was given three samples ( of course like Whiskey Live you have to ‘approach ‘ the good folk , they won’t just pour it in your mouth!) They had an interesting mildly peated blend at 46% for €46 ( I also tried a 95 euro grain which was nice , but …. a grain ) I was blown away by the 70 euro ‘Bridge Series ‘ 6.5 year old malt in sweet Sherry 22 month finish. It was fab . Maybe not quite up to first bottling (2017 vs 2018 ?)Brabazon 1 complexity and punch ( 49% vs 40) but boy for pure Sherry bomb class it may be number 1 . So I left Bloom 116 euro lighter …On the ferry to uk I picked up a Teeling Single Malt for a mere 35 euro and despite it being the whiskey that started my journey 5 or 6 years ago I wasn’t feeling the love .They once boasted of having a small percentage of an obscenely old sample in it . I don’t think it’s there anymore :-( There’s no doubt that whiskey times are changing

On a different note does anyone else find that whiskey ( and coffee etc) taste better standing ( despite my strong preference for sitting ) I guess all those stand up pint drinkers were right after all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could anyone tell me if selling on a Three Drams testing would be a viable thing to do?

Got Episode 2 bought to me as a present away back. Unfortunately I opened the bottles to have a sniff with the intention of watching the YouTube session and sampling them, but never got round to it.

You're probably better off just doing it. It's €27 new, the bottles are open. More of a hassle to sell I'd say. Could you give it to a mate?

Post edited by Citizen Six on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll start drinking them!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

In the Bow Bar in Edinburgh. They have a few interesting Islay specials.

What would you all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sorry, forgot about the back. Went with the Laphroaig

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is the Laphroaig absolutely too much peat wise

• Advertisement

Found some samples from the online tasting for Whistler, from either 2021 or possibly 2020. I think I was away, and just forgot to get back to replaying the youtube video. 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Picked up a Hakushu distillers reserve.

Last time I had a bottle was in Tokyo 8 years ago. Interested to see what I think now.

I had bottles of Hakushu 12 and Yamazaki 12 around the same time. Just unobtainable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

My brother gifted me a bottle of Distiller's Reserve for my wedding. I absolutely loved it

Depends on your tolerance for peat, I suppose. I remember it being really smooth for a Laphroaig, the influence of the PX barrel gave it a sweetness with the smoke, the barman tried it and was hugely impressed

They also had Octomore but it was a ridiculous price, that level of peat puts Laphroaig in context......

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Put an order in with Micil in Galway.

Im a huge fan of pot still whiskey and this Earls Island is no exception. All the right flavours.

I know their stuff is sourced at the moment, but its still lovely.

Irish Malts website doing ten percent off AND free Irish post due to some rugby win :-) Just got a 50% abv JJCorry blend for €45!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah was that the JJ Corry Battalion? I tasted one of the earlier batches and really enjoyed it. Unusual whiskey with tequila finish but it worked for me.

I picked up:

JJ Corry Battalion Batch 3 (in memory of the San Patricio Battalion - finished in tequila cask)

Three Earls sampler set (haven't tasted anything of theirs yet)

April 2021 Three Drams sample set (Killarney 8yo, Dingle Single Malt, Thomond Gate sample)

Thanks for the tip!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Thomond Gate sample in the Three Drams tasting set purchased above was the 'Miguel Hogan'. A cracking whiskey.

Sadly it was a limited release and appears sold out everywhere. RRP €99.

Great Northern Distillery sourced 5yo single malt finished for 6 months in Ruby Port Casks. Cask strength.

A great review here from @Cazale which I will excerpt:

On the mouth there is a huge burst of flavour. Creamy, oily, cinnamon spice, butterscotch vanilla, juicy fruits. A medium to long finish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/irishwhiskey/comments/o3acfk/review_thomond_gate_miguel_hogan/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Randomly bought a Laphroaig 10.

Advertisement