Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Catholic Church always seemed very right wing to me, particularly in Ireland when it came to things like the Mother and Baby scheme which ended Noel Browne's career.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I have you a professional business website where they explain to high level executives the ins and outs of the Irish NGO system and it’s budgets. That is not some “edgy” publication. Nothing will be good enough for you because you are entrenched in your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Classic Catholicism has always been left wing economically which is why I said a country can be socially conservative yet economically left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sinn Féin are a populist party. They will change their political stance based on what they feel are the prevailing winds on the ground.

Sinn Féin still tout the Catholic roots and it wouldn't take much for them to suddenly shift politically.

He wouldn't get Presidential nomination as Democrat being gay but America is a country partly founded by a deeply conservative sect of christianity

Republican party closest comparison in the British Isles are the DUP. Democrats the Tories.

Immigration is not a left or right issue..

China, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba, all far left and probably the hardest countries on Earth to immigrate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Fidel Castro put homosexuals in dungeons and made them do hard labour.

Prior to the 1960s most Marxists considered homosexuality a form of bourgeois degeneracy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I accepted the 5.5 billion Euro. No issue there. Where I draw the line is OpEds from proselytizing right wing sites.

If its such a serious problem, what are you doing about it?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We weren't ideologically left at any time during past century. Public services were cut dramatically from when the British were here. Our rail network is great example of this. Roads, schools, universities, hospitals were pretty much ignored until the 1990s.

Taxes were high for ordinary people yes but taxes were 75-90% for public during Eisenhower and Nixon runs as President in the US and nobody would consider them left wing.

Even today our public services are being cut to the bone in my part of country. Fire station has shut, post office gone, all the Garda stations outside the main town closed, public transport cut back dramatically.

Athlone bus station now lies completely empty, a big shiny building with no buses.

Ireland outside Dublin is basically becoming France outside Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

Nice big words there, acd.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

Last good thing John Lydon did too on there....I had to hit Spotify straight away, it's been years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You clearly have no intention of believing anything. Columbo and Shelock Holmes could team up to lay the evidence at your feet and you wouldn't even look at it.

But then from the guy who's stock answer to anything awkward is "what are you doing about it", nobody should be surprised.

• Advertisement

From one of the links above:

According to Benefacts' Nonprofit Sector Analysis 2020, Ireland's nonprofit sector has at least 32,841 Organisations, 165,075 Employees, 86,481 Directors/Trustees, €14.2bn Turnover and receives €5.9bn in State Funding. Nonprofit organisations which include NGOs, Social Enterprises, Clubs, Societies, Associations and Religious Bodies play a crucial role in society. Such entities are to be found in every part of the country, transcending major sectors such as Health, Education, Housing, Social Services, the Environment, Religion, the Arts and Politics, to name but a small number.

I see no reason why this can't be taken at face value.

The issue is that people take this sort of thing and then fabricate a victimhood narrative where NGO's are in control of the government and the silent majority is being oppressed. There is no evidence for this.

No. You've your hook based on reality and then your conspiracy theory with no evidence. Then you trot out this excuse when said conspiracy theory is questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So you believe every 152 people in Ireland need an NGO for them??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair it would be hard to name them since there are so many.. there may well be an NGO for the NGO's that feel left out.

Almost all policy, particularly social policy has had its genesis in an NGO.

I haven't trotted out anything, that was my first post in the thread. As a reader though it was just very very clear how disingenuous you are posting.

Ireland outside Dublin is basically becoming France outside Paris

I agree, although it's the focus on 3/4 population hubs and the remainder of the country is left to rot.. with the population moving to the "cities". Exactly the same as what happened with France, although with the French, they're going to opposite way now, because the cities are too expensive to live in. Eventually, population sizes reach a point where cities become unmanageable because they weren't designed/planned for such numbers in the modern sense. There are large numbers of people leaving Paris now, moving to the South of France where the cost of living (and housing) is more reasonable. The same thing will happen with Dublin, and Dublin is already struggling to deal with existing numbers.

Athlone is light-years better than it was when I was growing up... but most public services have been cut back considerably. The few newish local public bus routes are a nice addition, but it feels like the town is being left behind, rather than boosting the value it could provide to the overall country.

the silent majority is being oppressed

Before you made that claim (a few pages back), what posters said anything like it? You're the only one pumping that claim, and then, using it as a way to dismiss others concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Why wouldn't they? Football clubs are NGOs, Residents associations, Men's Sheds, rugby teams, bridge clubs. If anything I'd say the number is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And right there is cognitive dissonance inherent in the "NGO argument" from a certain quarter. They're usually for, ahem, "small government", but whinge when government offload their responsibilities to an outsourced private concern.

In saying that, there is a problem involved in having so many of these organisations operating in such a small area. But, frankly, they are all doing the job that a proper functioning government should be in the first place. In fact, what NGO's mostly do is pick up the pieces that result from the various failures of government.

Frankly, I would rather have a government that tackled the issues that they choose to offload to these private entities instead of just chucking their responsibilities over the wall.

• Advertisement

I'd ask where I've been disingenuous but there'd be no point. I've been insulted on this thread simply for asking questions. I don't live in Ireland so I'd no idea until today how many NGO's there are or how much government money they receive. All that I've gotten here is a refresher on why factchecking is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most of that budget is going towards essential services for people with disabilities, older people, people with addiction, homeless people. The State uses NGOs to avoid paying decent salaries to the staff involved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No point of engaging with someone who does not know their left from their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Look at their annual reportS and charities regulator reports. It’s all in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A ridiculously childish response, what are you doing about it? What can any one person do about major issues in their country? Vote a certain way, join an likeminded organisation.

Exactly the sort of comment that makes taking your opinion in good faith impossible and necessitates factchecking. I've no interest in responding to you and your triggered drivel any further.

Search his posts and you'll see its his default way of shutting down a discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, we have a significant homelessness problem which has visibly worsened over the last few years, and multiple charities have been set up to try to deal with it. The root cause of this development is not with the charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah, but then you see you'll have a portion of the NGO whingers that will pivot to their other position and will tell you that there is no "homelessness problem".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement