Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

At least please tell us you are aware of the influence these myriad of NGO's in this country have across the media landscape here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't live in Ireland so I've no idea. Repeated allegations from people who think asking questions equates to shutting down discussion suggests the opposite is true.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Who said they were? The cause, that is.

I've noticed this a lot on boards recently. Posters volunteering a position that others are supposedly assuming, and then countering it.. but nobody made the claim before they did.

Wouldn't it make more sense to support the existing charities which have established infrastructure and experience of dealing with homelessness, as opposed to duplicating their efforts, and ultimately dispersing the support for such causes?

And that portion would be? And are they supposed to be representative of others who are critical of the NGO situation. "Whingers" is more than a bit strong, Tony. There are valid reasons to be critical of the current situation, and what has been going on for the last two decades...

You are right about one thing, you have no idea!!!

You tried to shut down the discussion yourself, you refused to read an article on the topic, you wanted "objective scientific research" on the topic!!! (as if such a thing could even exist)

You have only managed to expose your complete ignorance on a vital political issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's important to debate based on facts and not feelings. I fail to see why this is controversial.

Funnily enough that for a "vital political issue", all the edgy types seem to want to do is whinge and nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

Honestly, you should probably just back off this topic....you are embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's because all public sector investment goes towards wages to public servants, government caving into unions isn't a right wing act

Only among people who get triggered when someone asks a question or disagrees. I think I'll live.

Ah there you go again with the " what are you doing about it ", you used that one on a thread about lack of rights for divorced men

About as sophisticated as " my dad could beat you're dad "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its funny people think this country or any country in the West has any kind of "Leftism" in power.

• Advertisement

It's amusing how progressives like to portray themselves as the plucky resistance when they are the establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would you like me to take some time and quote some of your facts not feelings posts from the last few months? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you’re in favour of funding NGOs like Benefacts?

Just ICYMI, it IS possible to be concerned about issues that don’t directly affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Do any left-leaning posters think there is an oversupply of NGOs or is it just a case of the more the merrier? Genuinely would like to know.

You seem to put huge weight on the one incident of the UN official laughing. Was he aware that NGO spending includes universities, hospitals, disability residential services, elder care services and more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

She says when she is laughing that the “given the number of representatives who have come just on the subject of racial discrimination” that it seems to her that Ireland has a very large number of NGOs. She was laughing that we had so many on that one subject, rather than one proper one.

Aye, God forbid people might get off their backsides and actually do something other than whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

I don’t get you. You don’t live in Ireland, you don’t experience the issues first hand, yet you dismiss any evidence presented and shoot down people for complaining about their taxes going to waste. Why are you even on this bird, other than to exercise some power?

• Advertisement

And indeed the solution to those developments are not with those charities either.

Its a bit like blaming hospitals for the ongoing existence of sick people.

The irony of complaining about paying public servants in a thread complaining about funding NGOs for providing essential services.

Who is the speaker? Who does she represent? What was the context of the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The church loves to go on about helping the poor and loving your neighbour, and they do a lot of good work at the lower levels, but in practice, they have amassed a lot of wealth and put a lot of effort into protecting it. The message and the reality are very different.

Jesus. It's a bloody discussion board, and CA to boot. We're all here to discuss such matters.

What is up with your constant need to shutdown/dismiss others desire to discuss these topics? If you're not interested, put your time into other threads. You haven't countered anyone's remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the statements he made were lies as he aimed them at a whole group of people rather then being clear about the actual reality which is some are guilty but others not.

had he stated the actual fact that some are guilty then he would have had a point but it would have been irrelevant given he had no solutions and was in no position to do anything anyway.

therefore he was simply throwing a bone to the bigots for votes and while he got some more votes, ultimately the majority overwhelmingly rejected him and his far right crap.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Firstly we have way too many NGOs, it is past a joke at this stage.

Yes AndrewJRenko they do provide services that the state refuses to provide itself.

They have in effect taken over the role religious orders once may have carried out.

But there is overkill, with mickie mouse organisations, with duplication and all of them cost money with some very well paying roles and that money could be better used directly.

Just look how many refugee and asylum NGOs appeared in the last 20 years.

There is one nearly for every county at this stage.

I wonder how many have appeared in Poland, Slovkia and Romania in the last few months.

If it was Ireland we would probably have thousands appearing.

And no I don't know the names of all the employees and their addresses in order to satisfy the mod sitting in London labeling us white supremacists for daring to ask "what the fook are we doing and where are we going".

Then again they are not part of the WE since they are parked in another jurisdiction.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

A lot of people gradually shifting away from centerist positions due to the economic effect of their policies over time.

Should we do the same with IT companies? And with clothes shops?

All this duplication and Mickey Mouse organisations in IT and fashion- should we get rid of these?

It’s great to see people complaining about

1) Too many small organisations, and

2) Too many managers and CEOs in large organisations.

Its like some people just love a good B&M session.

Who decided that fewer, larger organisations is fundamentally a better model across all kinds of services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have continous arguments here about left and right.

They are often tied back to what was left and right years ago, but really things have moved on a lot.

Left and right of today are meaningless when compared to history.

The modern left have fook all in common with the left a lot of us used to know when we were young or growing up.

The left of old was about workers rights, power of unions, availability of housing, education and healthcare for all and then rights of women in workplace.

Yes they started giving a nod to immigrants and minorities, societal issues like divorce, abortion, contraception, but there were always the bigger issues to fight.

And they had hang ups about Western military imperialism and capitalism and usually had a graw for communism.

Most of those issues like workers rights, women in workforce, laterally abortion, contraception, gay rights have all been dealt with so new battles had to be found to fight.

So the fight became about the minorities (well certain ones anyway).

And it really turned to not being about collective society, but about individuals freedoms.

If you think about it trans rights activism is not about what society or in particular what women want, but what certain individuals want.

Women in particular are meant to relabel themselves, are meant to put up with unfair competition in sport, share changing facilities with people that are still in a males body, all to satisfy a tiny tiny minority.

The love of mass immigration and asylum seekers is totally anti society, as the old lefts concerns about access to housing, education and healthcare goes out the window.

The only thing the staunch modern left have in common with the old staunch left is they still believe money isn't a problem and are always finding yet more ways to spend other people's money.

Anyone that goes against the new facebook/twitter/social media/NGO led modern left is labelled a middle aged white man, a white supremacist, a phobe of some sort and ultimately a Nazi.

The laugh often is the plebs spouting this probably are the kind that haven't read up on much history and probably couldn't tell you much about the real Nazis.

And in their modern terms the ones who actually fought and defeated the Nazis are so far to the right of what they now term Nazis.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement